2nd Trimester

Has anyone else been told baby showers are bad luck?

I am so upset my mom told me she doesn't want to throw me a baby shower because they are bad luck. We are Italian and it has been said if you throw a baby shower something bad can happen to the baby. I was looking forward to having one. I think its a ridiculous superstition but I love my mom and don't want her to be upset. I am so confused! UGH! Every one has baby showers now a days! Anyone else have to deal with this? 

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    I'm Jewish and we usually don't have baby showers unless they are after the baby is born. I had mine at 35 weeks when pregnant with my DD only because we had people drive from states away to visit.
  • Answer ✓
    I believe it's considered bad luck in the Jewish community as well. I've not had to deal with it, but hopefully a friend will step forward and offer to throw you one. In the meantime, go ahead and create a registry because you'll get a completion coupon. Infants really don't need much other than a place to sleep, something to eat, diapers, a car seat, and a few clothes. If you choose to wait until after baby is here, it won't be that big of a deal.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...

Answers

• thank you guys I appreciate the advice! I think I would rather do it after and not upset my mom. 
  • That's interesting. I had never heard that certain cultures/religions considered them to be bad luck. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know Germans won't buy anything before the baby is born, as well.  

But, it would be more things to worry about if had nothing on hand.  In the US, you at least need a car seat to come home in.  You should know how to use it properly, so that would mean buying it before hand.  Like someone else said, maybe just buy the basics.  
  • The only people I know who think they are bad luck are Jewish. My BIL's grandma didn't attend any of my sister's showers because of that.
  • I knew that in Jewish and Indian culture it is considered bad luck.  But I'm also Italian on both sides, and no one in my family believes that it's bad luck...my mom and sister threw me a shower and no one said anything about it being bad luck, even the older ladies who are first generation Italian-American (grandmothers, great aunts, etc - they were all excited to come).  So I find that a bit odd...I've never heard of this being taboo in the Italian community.
  • Interesting!  I come from a large Italian family and have not heard of this before.

You said that you wanted a shower, but understood your mom's feelings, so thank you for wearing big girl panties today!  So many women would be all: "But I want a shower, I need a shower, someone has to throw me one."  (Which is of course the complete opposite of how showers work.)

I think creating a registry is a great idea.  Keep track of the things you've researched and decided you want to have on hand.  If you don't end up having a shower, you'll still get the completion discount, so there's that.  People can still search and if they find it and decide they want to send you a gift, they can use that as well.

As far as bad luck, this is just a coincidence; however, the past 3 women (myself being one) that have been thrown a shower here at work have all gone on bed rest the very next day for various reasons.

• Yea... I am Italian, from a big Italian family, with lots of Italian friends, and have never heard this. I know Italians can be very superstitious people- I've heard of not mentioning anything of pregnancy until after the 2nd Trimester which is common in many ethnicities... I've heard of not buying anything for baby before the 2nd tri, which is also common in many ethnicities, but I have never heard of not celebrating a baby with a baby shower? Italians love to celebrate shit. Especially babies. So ... I think it is just your mom and her own personal issues. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Maybe one of your friends would like to host a shower for you? 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would traditionally have considered it that way and if I was still living in Ireland I would not have one. I'm in the Staes now where they are much more common and I'll most likely follow the 'When in Rome' philosophy.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Years ago my mother (not Jewish or Italian) told me it was bad luck to have one before the baby is born. In my area it is very typical to have showers after the baby is born. I think I have only ever been invited to one pre-birth. When I was pregnant, my mom and sister asked if I wanted it before or after. I said definitely after, but not because of luck. I was worried if the worst happened, I would have to come home to a house full of stuff.

We didn't buy anything until mid-late third trimester. Didn't set up furniture until late. And I had an agreement with my family - if anything happened, everything would be out of my house before I got home.
  • I'm in Ireland and it is 'generally' considered bad luck to purchase anything for the baby before it is born - baby showers are not really a thing here....but obviously most people get the necessities themselves such as car seat, buggy etc. before bean arrives.
  • My Italian grandmother considered them to be bad luck, but she was superstitious about a lot of things. The women in my generation are the first in our family to do showers, none of our mothers had them.