December 2015 Moms

Clothes for Baby While in Hospital

With my son, the only clothes I brought to the hospital for him were two going home outfits (one newborn and one size 0-3). The rest of the time he was just in a onesie and blanket/swaddle from the hospital. Did anyone or is anyone planning on bringing clothes, like simple sleep and play outfits for their LOs to wear while at the hospital? Starting to make a list/pack a hospital bag and was curious.

Re: Clothes for Baby While in Hospital

• I knew I'd be in the hospital for at least 3.5 days because of a csection, I brought 2 easy to put on sleepers.
  • I think it depends on what your hospital provides? Mine does not provide any clothing so I'll be bringing some summer onesies, a couple of full length onesies and about 6 singlets. And I'll bring my own swaddle.
  • Loading the player...
  • The hospital I'm delivering in provides side snap shirts and flannel swaddling blankets and hats which, if soiled, they clean and provide changes for. I liked not coming home with laundry or worrying about our stuff getting mixed up with theirs and lost so I used theirs and it went well. I'll be doing the same this time.

With DS I packed two bags. One I wanted brought to me quickly that had basic toiletries, phone charger, and such. I ended up with more than I used and will take that into account this time. The second back had going home outfits for both of us and a few things for DS for newborn pictures.
  • Our hospital doesnt provide anything, so will pack a few vests, one warm onesie and 2 summer onesies. As I am hoping for natural birth I hope to be out that same day or latest next day.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @JulieK79 said:
    With my son, the only clothes I brought to the hospital for him were two going home outfits (one newborn and one size 0-3). The rest of the time he was just in a onesie and blanket/swaddle from the hospital. Did anyone or is anyone planning on bringing clothes, like simple sleep and play outfits for their LOs to wear while at the hospital? Starting to make a list/pack a hospital bag and was curious.
    This is the same we did with DD and the same we will do with DS. However, I may bring a SwaddlePod and see how that works.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• redfallon said:
    @JulieK79 said:
    This is the same we did with DD and the same we will do with DS. However, I may bring a SwaddlePod and see how that works.
    Same here with DD. However this time i'll probably bring a heavier blanket for our winter baby and maybe a cardigan/sweater or two on top of the outfit. 
  • We brought the sleeper gowns I had bought for her.
  • Even though our hospital provides blankets and onsie I still plan to bring a couple outfits and swaddle blankets for him just in case.
  • Ftm... packing this bag is stressing me out!!!!!
  • My hospital provides the basic items, but if I make it to term I'll have packed a few things just to make sure she can get wear all the newborn sized stuff we were gifted.
  • The hospital I am delivering at does not keep baby in the nursery AT ALL. I am bringing him clothes to wear. Just a few onsies and a few sleepers and a hat, socks, and hand mittens, and his going home clothes. (I am worried he will be too big for NB size and go straight to 0-3 month so I am bringing 2 of each.) I am also bringing a thick blanket and a Muslim swaddle blanket.
  • We didn't bring anything for DS to wear in the hospital... the nurses are checking them as much as they're checking you so it was easier just leaving him in the long sleeve shirt and in the blanket the hospital provided. Like Red said, I'll probably bring a swaddle pod and maybe a couple of gowns since it will be the dead of winter (DS was a May baby).
  • Most hospitals provide what you need for baby - side snap onsie, pants, hat, swaddling blanket, so technically you don't have to bring anything. However, because I HATE those hospital hats and blankets (part germs-a-phone, part I hate the "generic-ness") and the clothes never fit properly I bring my own. I have 4 sleeper gowns, 4 onsie outfits, 4 pairs of socks, 2 hats and 2 blankets in my bag. It sounds like a lot because it is lol but because even though I plan a vaginal delivery and if things happen I would like to be prepared.
  • FTM here, and this thread is giving me anxiety! So many lists of what to bring to the hospital for mom/dad/baby...

Looking forward to my hospital tour next week to find out what they'll give us, maybe that'll help calm my anxiety!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I'm planning to bring three different sizes of coming home outfits, just in case. She is measuring small. I didn't even think about soaps and such. What brands are you all going to use?
  • FTM here, and this thread is giving me anxiety! So many lists of what to bring to the hospital for mom/dad/baby...

Looking forward to my hospital tour next week to find out what they'll give us, maybe that'll help calm my anxiety!
    You don't really "need" anything besides something for you and baby to wear home... I WAY overpacked with DS and barely even went into my bag the couple of days we were there. Don't worry!
  • ammnam14 said:

I'm planning to bring three different sizes of coming home outfits, just in case. She is measuring small. I didn't even think about soaps and such. What brands are you all going to use?

Do you mean for the hospital? Because typically they give them their first bath. They have special soap for the newborns.

If you mean for at home, there are quite a few options but a lot of hospitals will tell you just to go with Johnson & Johnson no more tears… There always the more boutique brands and natural unscented… probably a couple dozen options between babies R us and target.
  • ammnam14 said:

I'm planning to bring three different sizes of coming home outfits, just in case. She is measuring small. I didn't even think about soaps and such. What brands are you all going to use?

Do you mean for the hospital? Because typically they give them their first bath. They have special soap for the newborns.

If you mean for at home, there are quite a few options but a lot of hospitals will tell you just to go with Johnson & Johnson no more tears… There always the more boutique brands and natural unscented… probably a couple dozen options between babies R us and target.
    Yes for the hospital. A PP stated the soaps are harsh. I'm not sure if it was this thread or not. I'm sure we'll use Johnson and Johnson just because it's affordable/easy to find. I was curious as to what other soaps moms are using.
  • We use Burt's Baby Bees wash at home.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We use Aveeno ... I remember on my first BMB there was something about J&J having some ingredients in it that people were all up in arms about... obviously I didn't really pay attention since I couldn't tell you what it is but I've stayed away from it because it stuck in my mind. I just found this on snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/johnson-johnson-formaldehyde/

• That is crazy. Formaldehyde in baby shampoo!! Thanks for the article.
  • ammnam14 said:

We've used Burt's Bees Baby, The Honest Company, Cerave baby, and Cetaphil baby with DS at home. We've tried so many because of skin sensitivities and eczema. We'll be taking Cetaphil baby with us to the hospital to try with Bun because they use Johnson's brand which DS was allergic to. Since the Cetaphil is what we're currently using with him it seems easier just to start out with what we'll be using at home anyway.

@DH09072012 Aveeno is still Johnson's and Johnson's. Just FYI in case you didn't know. I didn't realize it until trying to find something DS didn't react to and I was looking more closely at labels.
  • I'm planning to bring three different sizes of coming home outfits, just in case. She is measuring small. I didn't even think about soaps and such. What brands are you all going to use?
    We've used Burt's Bees Baby, The Honest Company, Cerave baby, and Cetaphil baby with DS at home. We've tried so many because of skin sensitivities and eczema. We'll be taking Cetaphil baby with us to the hospital to try with Bun because they use Johnson's brand which DS was allergic to. Since the Cetaphil is what we're currently using with him it seems easier just to start out with what we'll be using at home anyway. @DH09072012 Aveeno is still Johnson's and Johnson's. Just FYI in case you didn't know. I didn't realize it until trying to find something DS didn't react to and I was looking more closely at labels.
    I do know that...which I know makes no sense. But for some reason since it's under a different name it somehow made it better haha We used Cetaphil due to sensitive skin for quite awhile and then have been using Aveeno for the past month or two.
  • As pp mentioned the hospital usually give you everything including diapers and formula and pacifiers if you need it. Just FYI I don't know if all hospitals do this but the one I will be delivering at for the 3rd time always has someone come around and take pictures of baby for you if you want I have always elected to get them done so I usually try to have a cute outfit for that and then one to bring them home in otherwise I just leave them in the shirt and swaddle while at the hospital. But you do need one to bring home in can't use a hospital swaddle in a car seat.
  • Just in case ppl are here from Canada, they only have blankets and towels, little hats and diapers for the baby, no clothes. I plan to be skin to skin if possible for the first few hours and then go home (as long as no c sec of course), so I'll bring two sleepers, two different sizes, and a warm blanket for over the car seat. If in hospital for a few days then I'll bring extra.
    You can bring your own soap for the baby if you'd like. I will bring some just in case, as I'm allergic to johnsons and johnsons (as I bathe the newborns and get contact dermatitis every time).
  • ammnam14 said:
    Do you mean for the hospital? Because typically they give them their first bath. They have special soap for the newborns. If you mean for at home, there are quite a few options but a lot of hospitals will tell you just to go with Johnson & Johnson no more tears… There always the more boutique brands and natural unscented… probably a couple dozen options between babies R us and target.
    Yes for the hospital. A PP stated the soaps are harsh. I'm not sure if it was this thread or not. I'm sure we'll use Johnson and Johnson just because it's affordable/easy to find. I was curious as to what other soaps moms are using.
    BURTS BEES! Its Nearly All Natural, & Smells SOoooo Good!
  • On The Note Of What The Hospital Provides To Help You Determine What You Want To Bring. Make a List Of What You Want Baby To Have. & Then Make Sure To Ask The Hospital What They Provide. 

The Hospital Im Delivering At Provides All The Diapers & Onesies Baby Will Need, But I Asked If What They Used Was Considered Hypo-Allergenic, And Was Told No, That Only The NICU Babies Had hypo-Allergenic Items. So If You Have Any Allergies, Or Fear The Baby May. It May Be A Question You Want To Ask. 

We're Bringing Diapers With Us, As They Will Be Hypo-Allergenic, To Avoid Any Issues! As Well As Baby Soap & A Few Outfits In Case He Reacts To Something He Wears Due To The Detergents The Hospital May Use, Although The Nurse Said She Believed The Detergent Used Was Hypo-Allergenic. 
  • @laurabwalker do you mean leave a few hours after birth? Just curious to be honest. I'm a FTM so I thought at least a day or two after delivery was required? I was told 2-3 days for vaginal and 5 for c section.

Anywhoooo, my hospital doesn't take the baby to nursery either. The first few hours are spent in the delivery room with only mom, baby, daddy, and nurses on occasion to let us bond with skin to skin contact and start breastfeeding/latching. Baby never leaves the room unless there is a medical issue that needs to be addressed, so I 1 packed a sleeper and about 6 onesies (some short sleeve, some long), socks and mittens, a few of our own diapers to see if they fit, and a swaddle blanket for pictures. I brought a lot of onesies for her because I'd like for DH to be able to go into the bag and just grab something for her if she needs to change. say if she has a poop explosion lol plus I couldn't decide which ones I thought were my favorite =P
  • m a FTM but my best friend just delivered at the hospital I'm using and warned against overpacking. The hospital has everything baby needs except for a going home outfit. I'm packing nonperishable snacks for SO and I in my bag and bringing myself a comfy blanket from home, plus my going home outfit, some travel sized toiletries and my makeup. I know I won't use it, but I need to have it
  • *Removes Aveeno from registry and replaces it with Burt's bees*

It really does smell amazing, you won't be disappointed.
  • laurabwalkerlaurabwalker member
    edited October 2015
    @beccabeeee I am in Vancouver Canada, so it may be different, but I have a midwife, and she will come to my house later in the day :) I'm also a perinatal nurse, so I feel comfortable to leave knowing what it looks like in the post partum period. This is how some STM feel I'm sure as well. I can stay if I'd like though! I will only leave if everything goes well
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    I'm bringing some fuzzy pjs and a few full length onesies in case the fuzzies are itchy anywhere. And the swaddles I bought. And hats and slippers and socks. And diapers too. I'd rather have too much with me but hubbub says it's a bit overkill. Reading this thread I think it might be..
  • My hospital provides everything for the baby but I've packed a few of the side snapping tops (which is what they're usually in) because for some reason my hospital only uses the 3-6 month size and my last 2 kids were absolutely swimming in them, this time I have some preemie and newborn size ones packed just in case, I'm pretty sure the bigger size will just plain fall off my 4-5lb peanut. I also have a warm blanket to cover her in the carseat with when we leave, I'm not used to winter babies
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml