Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Constipation - Not aggressively potty training

I have to dds.  Over the summer I finally got dd no 1 potty trained. She is 30 months. DD no 2 is  25 months. Before you all start asking what the heck. These are foster dds. I am not aggressively potty training my 25 month. The deal is that she does not like to poo poo in a diaper or pullup. She will not sit on a potty to do it either. I had a similiar issue with dd no 1.  Most of her issue was a physical issue though.  I think with my 25 month old it is a head issue. She will hold her poo until we get home and then want her diaper off. If it is a day that we are home much of the time it isn't a real big issue. If it is day where we are busy and out of the house a lot she tends to get backed up. Lately she has been going about every 2 to 4 days and it is hard for her. Since she wants her diaper off I have to put up the baby gate and regulate her to a room without carpet. This usually ends up being the kitchen or the bathroom. We have two bathrooms but only one of them is un-carpeted. It also means I have to stick close to her to keep out of things she is not supposed to be in. She is actually pretty good about staying out of stuff. Especially if she has some books or toys to keep her occupied. I have even put my tablet on a chair seat in the kitchen and she stands next to the chair and watches while she goes potty. One thing about her being bare bottomed is that I can pretty much tell that she isn't trying to hold her bm back. She definitely tries to push it out. I am pushing fruit and fiber foods and upping her fluid intake. I had to purchase liquid suppositories because there have been a few times that she has really struggled to go and it helps. Anybody have a toddler that does this or have any suggestions. Thanks!

Re: Constipation - Not aggressively potty training

• Options

Hang on a second. She doesn't like diapers at home so you let her just go to bathroom in any room without carpet??? ON THE FLOOR? Am I understanding you on that?

First of all, you need to talk to the pediatrician about this. If she is constipated and having issues (possibly relating to being a foster child??) then you should talk to a medical professional.

You need a more regimented plan for potty training as well as figuring out her constipation issues and you probably need the support of a potty training book and/or pediatrician.

• Options
    Actually right now I've got her okay with going in one bathroom without carpet. She doesn't want a diaper on when pooping because I think it is hard for her to go with the diaper in the way. I do try to gently suggest the potty and right now she doesn't want anything to do with a little potty or a big potty. At this point, due to her constipation issues, I am just happy if she goes period. I give bunches of praise for simply trying and going. Some it is probably related to being a foster child I'm sure. That is why I am not pressuring her in any way. She and her foster sister are still settling into the routine of a new routine and new home. Right now they most need lots of loving and lots of attention. That is where we are at now. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mamatokc said:
    Actually right now I've got her okay with going in one bathroom without carpet. She doesn't want a diaper on when pooping because I think it is hard for her to go with the diaper in the way. I do try to gently suggest the potty and right now she doesn't want anything to do with a little potty or a big potty. At this point, due to her constipation issues, I am just happy if she goes period. I give bunches of praise for simply trying and going. Some it is probably related to being a foster child I'm sure. That is why I am not pressuring her in any way. She and her foster sister are still settling into the routine of a new routine and new home. Right now they most need lots of loving and lots of attention. That is where we are at now. Thanks!

Absolutely. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Sounds like something Freud mentioned. No joke. Although he seems wrong about half the time.

Maybe fear of letting part of themselves go? I'm stumped.