Formula Feeding

Corn Syrup in Formula

is anyone else concerned about the ingredients in Formula? I know about the hexane and all the synthetic vitamins etc, but most alarming to me is that corn syrup (called by several different names depending on your brand) is the first ingredient on the list!! I cringe every time I feed my baby knowing I am giving her something that causes obesity, diabetes and heart issues. Why can't they make something healthy for babies?!??!

Re: Corn Syrup in Formula

• Corn syrup?? I've never seen that on formula ingredient list. I just checked again and the only sugar I'm seeing is lactose. My biggest problem is the vegetable oil and soy.
  • @Kjsoa76 said:
    is anyone else concerned about the ingredients in Formula? I know about the hexane and all the synthetic vitamins etc, but most alarming to me is that corn syrup (called by several different names depending on your brand) is the first ingredient on the list!! I cringe every time I feed my baby knowing I am giving her something that causes obesity, diabetes and heart issues. Why can't they make something healthy for babies?!??!
    What kind are you using? Enfamil ingredients do not include corn syrup. That's what we used.

https://www.enfamil.com/products/routine-feeding/enfamil-infant

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • The Enfamil Gentle ease formula contains corn syrup.  It's what I was going to start my baby on once she moved out of the newborn stage.  I already have two big containers of the stuff and I just want to throw it in the trash.

I had not idea so many formulas contained GMOs until tonight.  I just today got a coupon in the mail to try Similac's non-GMO fornula.  I was like WTF?  Shouldn't ALL formula be free of GMOs?  But it isn't.  I feel like I should have done more research on all this.  

Not sure what formula I'm going to move her to now.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I transitioned to formula feeding I wanted to go with non gmo and organic... Ended up doing the honest company's new formula and we are happy with it!
  • My daughter has a sensitivity to lactose. So I guess the corn syrup replaces that. I believe honest company's also has corn syrup in it
  • I exchanged the Gentle Ease for the regular infant Enfamil. So glad I found this thread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought good start didn't have cs.

Corn syrup solids are in ours and it does bother me but we have a lactose issue.
  • Meh. Everything that is found in formula is there for a reason. Don't freak out. Read the latter portion of and visit the links inside. https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/2015/10/news-bites-lack-of-support-for-breastfeeding-moms-organic-formula-hyperbole/
  • GMOs are pretty much in everything especially anything with corn or soy, except foods that are organic or non GMO. I was happy that Similac now has non GMO formula and I use the sensitive formula to supplement breastmilk. The corn syrup is used for the sugar content of formula. Breastmilk has a lot of sugar and formula is meant to mimic the breastmilk. I believe Similac organic uses organic cane sugar not corn syrup but my Lil guy is very gassy so I go with sensitive.
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited October 2015
    I wouldn't worry about it unless corn allergies run in your family. Corn syrup is not the same as high fructose corn syrup. It's HFCS that's linked to health problems, and only when people overconsume it. Formula is regulated so the amount of nutrients you get from different formulas is the same. Babies like everybody else need a certain amount of sugar/carbs in their diet and so some formulas use corn syrup to meet that requirement, others just use milk/lactose.