August 2015 Moms

Teething HELP

I'm a first time mom and I need some advice on teething! My daughter is now 12 weeks and is are already showing some signs of teething; crankiness, chewing on her fingers, rubbing her cheeks and face, and drooling immensely. I know the symptoms can start long before a tooth actually cuts through so my question is, has anyone had a baby show symptoms this early? If so how long did it take for the first one to break through after symptoms started? Also, since she just turned 3 months, her ability to keep ahold of toys isn't quite mastered so how on earth to get them to start using teething rings before they really figure out how to hold onto them? Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Teething HELP

• Does she take a pacifier? I've heard of freezing pacies or I've seen on Pinterest (but never followed the link to see how) that people have filled pacies with breastmilk (if you are BFing) and then freezing them. DD started teething at around four months but was about six months before her teeth finally started coming through.

• Or a cold damp washcloth.

• Loading the player...
  • My friend's LO cut her first two teeth at 3 months so its totally possible to get th this early. A lady at my breastfeeding support group wears a teething necklace for her LO. its made out of food grade silicone and she wears it around her neck and the baby chews on it when she's holding him or plays with it when he's laying down. She got them off etsy I think.
  • kahlya88kahlya88 member
    edited October 2015
    For LO who don't have the dexterity to hold a toy yet, look up munch mitt. It's a teething mitten that they can wear on their hand to chew on. They're a little pricier than your average teething toy, but I think they're great!
  • Its normal. Their salivary glands are increasing production in anticipation of needing to digest solids in the next few months, and they've recently discovered how awesome their hands are. 12 weeks is a normal growth spurt time (crankiness and extra chewing on everything) and also a wonder week (crankiness, changes in behavior/development, clinginess, sleep disturbance, etc...) Almost all babies have those exact same things gong on at around 12 weeks old. My first did also, and she cut her first tooth at 10 1/2 months old. Yes, it is possible your baby could cut a tooth sometime soon, but you really don't have any reliable indicators of this till you see teeth buds. Then you know something is really up.

For teething our favorites were frozen breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder or frozen peas and corn in a mesh feeder (after she had started solids - not at 3 months old). We also had a nursing necklace with large textured beads she could chew on though she didn't use this as much as I would have hoped. Rolled up frozen washcloths work also. For babes this little that can't hold something, you would just have to hold it for them. Really though there is no telling if your baby is really teething or just likes chewing on their hands at this point (my 9 week old does this all the time just cause she likes to - she will also try to pull mine and my husband's hands to her mouth to gnaw on them - I'm pretty positive she's not teething :) )
  • I swear by Baltic Amber necklaces, and baby orajel naturals teething tablets. Make sure it's the orajel naturals and not hylands.

My dd1 would cut teeth in pairs of 4 and you wouldn't ever know thanks to that combo!!
  • Thank you!! All helpful advice
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I swear by Baltic Amber necklaces, and baby orajel naturals teething tablets. Make sure it's the orajel naturals and not hylands.

My dd1 would cut teeth in pairs of 4 and you wouldn't ever know thanks to that combo!!

A friend gave me an Amber necklace at my baby shower.
  • I just use Tylenol.  I'll be honest, the necklaces freak me out.  I don't mind wearing one of those teething baubles myself and letting him chew on it while I'm holding him but it seems like anything with tiny beads that goes around an infants neck could be a choking hazard. 
  • The amber necklaces are too short for baby to get into their mouth, and if they can, you either have the wrong size or something. My daughter wasn't able to reach hers, and yet it wasn't too tight that it could choke her. It's like anything, supervision. Supervision. Supervision :) but I never had an issue. When she was able to start pulling it off (around age 2) on her own, I stopped letting her wear it
  • My first one had his first teeth actually cutting through when he was 4 months, process started at 3 months so it's definitely possible. He got his (for all his teeth) in pairs. We used the RaZBerry teething pacifier. We tried a bunch of other teething pacifiers, but that one saved our sanity because he was too young to hold on to teething rings himself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know they can get teeth this early, but the drooling and chewing on hands can just be part of the developmental stage. My pedi said at my lo's 2 month appointment that those actions pick up around this time.