Baby Names

Middle name question

I was talking to my mom and dad the other day about names. I'm not huge on using family names and I really don't want to use my middle name if I have a girl. My mn is one of the most boring, common mns out there. It flows nicely with my first name, I'm fine with it for my name. But I'd like to give my daughter a more creative mn. Then my dad suggested using my first name as my baby's mn. I really like the way it works, but I'm curious what you guys think of using my name as the baby's mn. I hope this makes sense, I feel like I was very rambly.

Re: Middle name question

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't think anyone would bat an eye at a boy being given his dad's name as a middle (or even a junior) so I don't think you should for a girl either.

You could also expand your mn into a bigger name (Rose to Rosalie, Kay to Kayla, Marie to Annamaria etc).
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that's a nice idea.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I should mention, I've chosen to be a single mom so I don't have a SO to bounce ideas off. Which is also another reason why I kind of like the idea of using my name is my baby is a girl.
  • My sisters middle name is my moms first name...I find nothing wrong with it at all, it's a nice idea!!
  • My cousin did that for her girl, and the son has his dad's mn. I think it's cool!
  • My mom is Jane Carroll, my sister is Elizabeth Jane and my niece is Grace Elizabeth.... I actually think it's kind of sweet!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I definitely think it's okay. It's nice to use a family name in the middle name spot, and your first name is a great way to do that, as long as you like it and like the flow with the first name you've chosen

• My parents did that for my brother and me and I love it!
  • In my family it is traditional to do this through the eldest sons, so Thomas Michael's son is Oscar Thomas, whose son is Aidan Oscar. Although my brother totally broke this tradition, haha. But in general I like it, it's a nice way to incorporate a parent's name without the obnoxiousness of having two Sarah Smiths running around in the same family. Like other legacy naming, you should only do it if you also like the names in their own right, and it's meaningful to you, not just because it's traditional. But I like it! I've considered giving my daughter my name as a MN.
  • I'm a huge fan of family names. My first name was my mothers and grandmothers first name (although my mother was called by her middle name) My middle name is my Aunts and great aunts name. And that name was a combination of two of my great great aunts. My name is very special to me because of the family connection.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I don't think it's wrong it's just totally NMS. 

If you aren't a fan of "honoring someone" it seems a little out of place to then decide to use your FN as your LO's MN. This is hard to put into words because I don't want it to come off as if I'm judging your decision, it just seems strange to not want to use a family name but then use your own name instead. 

We gave DD her own name, not honoring anyone. There are some fantastic names out there and it's fun to be able to use a guilty pleasure name as the MN.