Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse

I had a d and c on 8/18. Three weeks later my OB calls and tells me thinks it was a partisl molar pregnancy due to my hcg levels not decreasing like they should. I had never even heard of this so of course I turn to google. I Have now been thru 5 weeks of getting blood work each week to monitor my Hcg. It has been going down but he ordered an ultrasound a few days ago and called me yesterday and told me that based on the position of the tissue still left in the uterus he now recommends methotrexate which is a form of chemo therapy. My mind still can't comprehend it. How do you go from trying to have a baby, to getting pregnant, to having a d and c to now being referred to an oncologost for chemo. Apparently this is the only thing that will kill the cells and get rid of the tissue. My only other options are a repeat d and c which he doesn't recommend or a hysterectomy which of course i don't want. And now I have to wait 6 months to TTC and continue to have my hcg levels tested monthly in the meantime.

I had a loss almost 3 years ago and it was a blighted ovum. Had a d and c and got pregnant with my now 2 year old son the very next month. A loss is a loss to me but this loss seems so much harder to bare because now I have chemo, labs and a 6 month waiting period before we can TTC

Re: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse

• You may have lost the same thing babywise for each loss, but you've lost a lot more of your life to this second experience. I'm so sorry for you. I hope you can find comfort in your husband and son during this time, and that it doesn't feel as long as it seems to you now. Hopefully in six months you can have a clean bill of health and start trying again!

• You may have lost the same thing babywise for each loss, but you've lost a lot more of your life to this second experience. I'm so sorry for you. I hope you can find comfort in your husband and son during this time, and that it doesn't feel as long as it seems to you now. Hopefully in six months you can have a clean bill of health and start trying again!

Thank you so much!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a question about your blighted ovum, you said you got pregnant a month after? Did you have any troubles? Was it a healthy pregnancy? I'm scared to try so soon but I want to. I had a blighted ovum 2 months ago and all I want to do is become pregnant again, but scared. Could you let me know how it was? And I'm so sorry what your going thru now, I will pray for you for everything to get better . ❤️
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had to get methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy and now I can't try for 3 months because the methotrexate is potentially toxic to a developing embryo.  It's frustrating and drawn out and disappointing and scary.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  Hang in there.
  • I have a question about your blighted ovum, you said you got pregnant a month after? Did you have any troubles? Was it a healthy pregnancy? I'm scared to try so soon but I want to. I had a blighted ovum 2 months ago and all I want to do is become pregnant again, but scared. Could you let me know how it was? And I'm so sorry what your going thru now, I will pray for you for everything to get better . ❤️

Yup totally healthy. I had the d and c in April. My period came about 4 weeks after that, like beginning of May and I got pregnant the end of May. Good luck to you!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had to get methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy and now I can't try for 3 months because the methotrexate is potentially toxic to a developing embryo.  It's frustrating and drawn out and disappointing and scary.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  Hang in there.

Thank you! You as well. Have you been having any side effects from the metho. Do you remember your lab results when you at started? Mine are at 885. At first my OB and oncologist agreed that i would't need any treatment because my numbers are going down but he did an ultrasound last week and said based on the position of the tissue in the uterus they think treatment best.

Is there a big drop after the first treatment?
    Thank you! You as well. Have you been having any side effects from the metho. Do you remember your lab results when you at started? Mine are at 885. At first my OB and oncologist agreed that i would't need any treatment because my numbers are going down but he did an ultrasound last week and said based on the position of the tissue in the uterus they think treatment best. Is there a big drop after the first treatment?

I'm not sure if the protocol for a partial molar is different or the same as an ectopic, but my HCG was 580 the day of the methotrexate.  I got 2 shots the same day (the dosing is weight based I believe).  Apparently when you have an ectopic the number often goes up first and then down, because it takes a few days to take effect and the sac can still grow during that time, so mine went from 580 to 630 (numbers aren't exact) 4 days after the shot, to 430 7 days after the shot, to 113 two weeks after the shot.  They sometimes have you do a second shot with an ectopic if your numbers don't drop 15% from day 4 to day 7 but mine dropped quite a bit.  I haven't had my HCG tested in about a week and a half (113 was my last reading).  After the 113, My doctor told me that I only needed to check once every 1-2 weeks to make sure it continues to drop and eventually goes to zero.  I did take a home pregnancy test a few days ago and it was still a light positive so I didn't bother to go in last week, because I know it won't be zero yet and the lab is really inconvenient for me to get to.  I'll have to go by the end of this week though.  

I was already having abdominal pain from the ectopic when I got the methotrexate and that continued for a few days after and then seemingly resolved.  I also had some somewhat heavy-ish bleeding (nothing too dramatic) for 2-3 days after the shot, but also had bleeding off and on for the week before I got the shot, and then more bleeding 3 weeks after (hard to tell if it was from the shot or just my system clearing out).  I felt nauseated the night after I got the shot but didn't get sick or anything.  No other big side effects.  I think the ectopic made me feel worse than the methotrexate.  They did tell me I couldn't take ibuprofen or other NSAIDs for 2 weeks, no alcohol for 2 weeks, and no prenatal vitamins.  Methotrexate can be hard on your liver, so no alcohol, is cleared by your kidneys, so no NSAIDs which can interfere with that, and no prenatal vitamins because methotrexate works by decreasing all the folate in your body, which prevents the pregnancy tissue from continuing to divide/make cells, so if you take a vitamin with folate it kind of counteracts the medicine.

Hope that helps.
  • @Sophia1913
    Thank you! That gives me hope! I will pray for things to get better with you. Don't give up, and stay strong I know it doesn't seem fair and you may not understand why things happen the way they do, I know at times I don't either. But you can't give up hope or faith. Prayers to you. Much love :x