May 2016 Moms
Options

Red, itchy, blotchy skin. 9weeks.

I'm 24. 9 weeks pregnant and Monday I was eating pizza for lunch and I seemed to have an allergic reaction to it afterwards. My whole head was itchy, my face especially around my mouth was red. I took benadryl and that helped but, Every since then my whole body has seemed to be like that. My belly itches constantly and my boobs too so much so that I've scratched so hard to bring blood to the surface. I am calling my doctor today. I was just wondering if anyone else has been here??

Re: Red, itchy, blotchy skin. 9weeks.

• Options
    I remember reading about a rash that some women get with pregnancy, so it may be that. Unfortunately there's not much to do for it and it doesn't go away until the baby is born. Hopefully that's not what you have!

If it's a serious allergic reaction, other complications can emerge, so I might call your GP or your OB.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    This may help until you can get to your doctor: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0115/p211.html 

Generally, the more worrisome rashes don't appear until the second or third trimesters. I had Puppp with my son which was terrible-- if it turns out to be that, I can give you some suggestions to make it more bearable.

It's also possible to develop new allergies while pregnant-- this might be something to ask your doctor about especially if you think it may have been food-related.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a bumpy, extremely itchy rash on my arms and legs. After going Urgent Care, they said it was an allergic reaction, after visiting my GP this morning, they thought at first it was bites of some kind, and after visiting a dermatologist this afternoon, he thinks it's viral. I had an OB visit today, but my stupid self didn't say anything. I'm one of those that gets flustered and doesn't ask questions that I know I should. I also figured that since my derm appt was literally right after my OB appt, I'd just wait for that. (facepalm)

Anyway, after doing some more research myself this afternoon about pregnancy related skin issues, I'm almost positive it is atopic eruption or Prurigo of pregnancy. Looking at pictures, reading symptoms, it all points to what I'm experiencing. The treatments however, are the same as what all the docs recommended (antihistamines/hydrocortisone cream). It's going to be a VERY long 7 months. :(
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    If you don't want to be married to benedryl for your pregnancy, I found that when I had puppp, Grandpa's Pine Tar soap (I used the shower gel from Amazon) helped some to relieve the itching. Also CeraVe cream, cooler showers, and--this one was a weird, desperate measure that worked: rubbing the inside of a banana peel on the more red areas of the rash.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice!! I got I'm touch with my doctor and that called in Vistaril, and told me to try an oatmeal bath and lotion, maybe some hydrocortisone cream, and then if that doesn't help to call back and they'd refer me to a dermatologist. The bath and visatril seemed to help some. I'm also going to try and change my laundry detergent too. Now if I can just eat something other than breads.
  • Options
    vistaril? is that the bipolar med? it gave me the rash that is actually really dangerous so be careful!
  • Options
    I got the "pregnancy rash" with DD at 5 mos. The only thing that helped me was an oatmeal bath. The initial severity subsided but it continued until I gave birth. I'm sorry I don't have good news BUT maybe it's not the same thing and your doctor can help.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)