May 2016 Moms

Is anyone else experiencing morbid thoughts?

This is my first pregnancy so I have no clue what the norms are other than what I read from time to time but I've caught myself over the last couple of weeks (I'll be 8 weeks in a couple of days) finding my mind wondering off into scary places. I am not depressed at all, but I was taking Wellbutrin before I unexpectedly, yet happily, found out that I was pregnant. I've caught my mind wondering into thoughts such as miscarriage and wrongful things happening to me like car wrecks and what not. It really disturbs me when these things cross my mind because they are not welcoming thoughts and I am nothing but happy and positive about my baby. Maybe it's because I'm afraid subconsciously, or it still hasn't hit me that I really am pregnant? Has anyone else had these things happen to them? How did you handle it? I did stop taking the Wellbutrin once I found out I was pregnant. I also ask that no negative judgment will be passed, I've run into it in some other threads throughout this community. Thank you so much ladies.

Re: Is anyone else experiencing morbid thoughts?

• I had some scary miscarriage dreams and reading new threads everyday here of people having miscarriages or people finding out that the foetus stopped growing weeks ago makes me feel doomed. My heart goes out to every one of those ladies.

I have an ultrasound in a week so I think that will put my mind at ease. I'm also a FTM, I'm 35 and it took a year of charting and trying to get KU. We want two so I feel like I have no time to waste. All you can really do is wish and wait.
  • I would talk to your dr. They can get more in depth about how you are feeling and what you are struggling with and get you the help you need. It's ok to occasionally have a bad thought or two but try to counter it with some good thoughts about the baby like seeing them smile or hear them giggle for the first time. It doesn't sound like you are depressed, just very protective of your baby and trying to prepare yourself in case something happens. Pregnancy can be emotional so take it easy.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I was going to suggest speaking with your doctor too! Intrusive thoughts can really take over you - pregnancy is hard enough as it is and if this progresses, it could really make it a lot more difficult. Maybe ask your OB for advice and hopefully you can go somewhere from there.

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• It doesn't sound like you are depressed, just very protective of your baby and trying to prepare yourself in case something happens. Pregnancy can be emotional so take it easy.

This. I think about all the scary things that could happen and how they're a much bigger deal now that a LO is on the way.
  • I am definitely going to talk to my doctor! I just didn't want to feel so alone. Thank you so much! Hearing from other women really helps put my mind at ease.
  • This is why I have a therapist :\
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I agree that therapy can greatly help to keep this type of thought process in a healthy place. I can't imagine that random passing thoughts like this are uncommon, but if it's becoming frequent or repetitive, you may have some anxiety surfacing. ::hugs::
  • You sound exactly like me. I've had some of those thoughts and my appointment is 2 weeks away for the NT scan. I'm mortified that something might go wrong. The anxiety is awful. I've felt like I've needed therapy this first trimester. Take it easy! We just gotta let nature do what it does! It's unproductive worry because we can't do anything about it, so turn it into productive worry by preparing for baby instead. :)
  • As a psychologist, I would of course say that it couldn't hurt to get connected with a good therapist. I don't think what you are describing as abnormal, but it sounds like you are rightfully stressed about a huge life change (I'm in the same boat!). People may assume that going to therapy is only for people with diagnosed mental health disorders, but that's certainly not the case...having support through a major life transition can be empowering and a psychologist can make suggestions for how to reduce stress that work for you. Seek out what you need--you don't need to go through this alone :)
  • Thank you guys so much
    :x
  • I'm not sure about the hormonal components but I can say there's something very intense about having such full and complete responsibility for another life. I catch myself drifting to strange "what ifs" with DS, more so when he was younger. With support and processing therapeutically I know that I'm in a healthy place, and totally recommend what everyone else said. :)
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I have always been a little bit of a worrier but as soon as I found out I was pg with dd, my anxiety was crazy. And that has never really stopped. Like everyone else I would def talk to your Dr and request a referral for a therapist. My therapist was an absolute godsend. Like other pp, I think having so much responsibility is really hard to cope with if you have even a little anxiety. Don't be afraid to talk to your dr, I wish I had so much sooner!
  • saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited October 2015
    I think it's normal to worry and I admit to having these thoughts myself I think it depends on the frequency and intensity... It's always ok to talk to some one a good friend, doctors, counselor etc. I told my mom who is in health care and she said something that made me feel good and made sense to me: your baby is doing so much growing and demanding a lot from your body, mind and soul right now. Try sending your little one some positive thoughts -sending white light, I love you, I'm looking forward to meeting you, I'm doing good things for you and me already etc. it really made me feel better!!