February 2016 Moms
Options

Maternity photos?

Are any of you fellow mommas-to-be planning on having maternity pictures done? I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to. I've seen so many cheesy, cringe-worthy ones that it makes me second guess it, but then I feel like there's some really classy and pretty ones as well. I'm a FTM and would love to have pictures of my pregnant body to look back on, too. Obviously it wouldn't be for a while yet, anyway - not until I'm showing more (maybe December or January?)

Re: Maternity photos?

• Options
    I got maternity pictures done last minute at 40weeks with my third pregnancy. I'm really happy my husband and I got some done together. I'm definitely going to get some done with this pregnancy, especially because it will be my last. But this time I will definitely do some looking around for photographers and buy a really pretty maternity dress etc I'm not showing so I think maybe around 7/8 months will be the best.
  • Options
    Ugh, no. I just feel so fat and uncomfortable by then that I don't want to spend a ton of money on pictures. We'd rather save the money and splurge for newborn/family photos instead. But lots of moms I know do it and love them, so I definitely think it's personal choice. If it's something you want to remember through professional photos, I say go for it.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't get them done. I see lots of pretty ones, but I don't regret getting them done. For me, I just don't want to bother with spending the money and never caring about putting them up. Now, newborn photos I'm all for and put them up in my house and part of the photo book I made for his first year. If you want them, totally do them. But there isn't really anything wrong with not doing them, too.
    -Kimberly :) 
    My Ridiculous Chart                                                    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you get a good photographer, you won't end up with terrible cheesy photos. I got some done during my first pregnancy but not for my second and probably won't this time around for my 3rd. I don't have time or energy to get all dressed up and pose for an hour plus. I say go for it with your first pregnancy if that's something you want to do.
  • Options
    ErinC1014ErinC1014 member
    edited September 2015
    I had some done, and I've also taken some for my friends. They weren't cheesy poses and setups. Mine and a couple of my friends' were done at a park, and in winter months I took some in my friend's home. Very life-style and natural. I'd suggest googling maternity photographers in your area and seeing who has a style that you like. :)

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• Options
    I keep going back and forth too. There are a few great photographers I know and could get some done with but I am just not sure, especially with timing. I agree it's personal preference. I have sister in laws that didn't have a single photo of them pregnant, yet my sister LOVED seeing pictures of herself pregnant. It's up to how you're feeling and what you want to remember in pictures.
  • Options
    I plan on doing some family pics In December for our Christmas card so those will serve as maternity pictures.

I agree with some of the pp that pics of myself showing off my pregnant belly aren't things I'll put up around the house I would much rather they be family pics.
  • Options
    I am.  Since I'm a wedding photographer, pictures are very important to me! We're just having a quick mini-session in December in a Christmas tree farm to use for our holiday cards :)
  • Options
    I am. It's part of the bundle we purchased.

This is one we had done while pregnant with my twins. Majority of the photos include H and are more like family photos then me modeling my numb.
  • Options
    twinmom1121twinmom1121 member
    edited September 2015
    I got some done when pregnant with my twins at 30 weeks and am so glad I did! I might get some done this time, but more of family pictures while I'm pregnant. I think they are a good thing to look back on! I think a lot of photographers like to wait until you are pretty far along (37-38 weeks). Edit: here are some of my favs from my shoot.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our family photographer does a bump-to-baby package that's pretty reasonable. Plus I know she's not cheesy and will try anything I want to. I'm planning on doing mostly family shots so not a lot with just me. I didn't do maternity photos with dd and kind of regretted it so this time I plan on it!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was thinking of getting them done, but will probably ask my best friend to take some nice pictures of me on Christmas day instead.
  • Options
    My iPhone and a good editing app will be completing this task once I'm starting to show good!

DS (2.29.16) via Homebirth

~ Proverbs 22:6 ~

• Options
    We are taking some in the snow for Christmas cards. My sister is a photographer otherwise I don't think I would be getting professional photos.
  • Options
    I think we will get some done; we don't have any professional photos of us except for some taken on a cruise. I like the idea of using them for Christmas cards!
  • Options
    As a photographer, I can tell you that if your pictures look cheesy, you had an inexperienced photographer.

Shop around. Find someone that you're comfortable with. It's okay to request to meet them BEFORE the time of the session. Feel them out. It's like dating, but for finding someone to capture your memories. If you're not completely comfortable and having a good time, your pictures will reflect that. The best looking photos are of people being themselves and truly having a good time. If you don't feel that with someone, it's okay to keep looking.

I recommend getting pictures if you're on the fence. My reasoning is simple: better to have done it and decide not to use the photos than to not take them and wish you had.

Either way, best of luck to you and happy photographer shopping.

P.s. Don't get sucked into high end prices. There are reasonably priced photographers out there. Just because they charge more, doesn't necessarily guarantee a better quality of photos. ;)
  • Options
    I would rather spend the money on newborn pictures than maternity ones. That being said a friend is offering to take family photos for me because we house sat (well, farm sat) for them for a couple weeks. I'm waiting until I'm showing a little more because I want to be obviously pregnant in the pictures and not just bloated and fat. But the pictures will be of my family of 4 so I really don't want them to look maternity.

• Options
    I'm not having maternity pictures done, I didn't with my first pregnancy either and I don't regret it (at least not yet). I don't even know what I would do if I had those photos (do people frame and hang these or ?? ). During my first pregnancy DH did take some belly shots of me casually and those were good enough for me, this time around I don't feel as attractive (because I'm still feeling sick) and I just seem to not have the time with a toddler running around. We will get family Christmas pictures done in November, which will most likely show my growing belly and that will be good enough.
  • Options
    I didn't get maternity photos taken with my first and I kind of regret it. I wish I would have taken some wintery ones with H and I.

This time we will take a family holiday picture in November for Christmas cards and that will serve as my maternity pics too.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I hate a maternity photos, so no. Especially when women show their bare stomachs. The worst is when the guy is shirtless too- why!? Just... Why??
    I also don't get why people feel the need to get a professional photog for everything these days. I'll get photos of the baby when he's here but I don't need any of me. You'll see my bump in photos of my baby shower or any other normal event where you'd take a photo.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We did family pics and our photographer wanted to do a few since it is my last pregnancy. We only did a few and they turned out better than what I thought they would be.
  • Options
    I found a photographer that offered a good deal if you bundled maternity and newborn photos. It was only about $100 more to have them include a maternity session and as I knew I was getting newborn ones it just made sense to me :)  Maybe you can find a good deal like that?
  • Options
    ashcody2ashcody2 member
    edited September 2015
    I didn't do them with my son last time - this time we are doing more of a fall family photo instead of "maternity photos" and we are going to reveal the sex of the baby in those. Our 1 year wedding anniversary is coming up around the time we find out and thought it'd be a fun way to capture all of that, sex of the baby, our anniversary while getting some nice family photos out of the deal and that way I will have some memory of what I looked like while pregnant, it kind of makes me sad I didn't have any done with my son but this is our last baby so I thought I'd give it a go this time around. 

Edit to answer your question - I will be getting them early-mid October when I'm about 6 months, I felt the prettiest at this point and not huge, but that's just me and I'm a second time mom so should definitely be showing more by then.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know this thread is old but what do you look for in maternity photos? I'm on the fence. My friend is the daughter of an AMAZING photographer and inherited his talent and is offering to do them for cheap, but I don't know. Obviously I'll be big around winter and I love where it snows but I just don't know what I would want. I've looked up so many and honestly a ton of the people in the photos just look dumb. I kinda just want pictures with my husband since we have none. Photo ideas..?
  • Options
    A friend of mine is going to do a photo shoot. Why not?! I want to remember this for ever and have some nice photos of my body. Yes, bare bump too! It's a beautiful moment. Here's some of the ideas I've been saving.

For timing, I'm showing a lot already at 23 weeks so I'll get them done soon, maybe another few weeks. I still feel pretty and who knows how I'll look later lol
  • Options
    As a photographer, I suggest waiting until at least 30 weeks. You want that nice round bump that sticks out even when you sit. If you do it too early, you may not have that perfect ball look. It can end up looking pudgy instead. I've attached an example. I photographed her at only 26 weeks (against my recommendation but she was adamant).
  • Options

I know this thread is old but what do you look for in maternity photos? I'm on the fence. My friend is the daughter of an AMAZING photographer and inherited his talent and is offering to do them for cheap, but I don't know. Obviously I'll be big around winter and I love where it snows but I just don't know what I would want. I've looked up so many and honestly a ton of the people in the photos just look dumb. I kinda just want pictures with my husband since we have none. Photo ideas..?

Pinterest has tons of awesome ideas. The quality of the photos will depend on the photographer. If they know what they're doing, you won't look cheesy or dumb.

The best poses are natural. Ones that you and your husband move into on your own and naturally. If it's posed, people tend to tense up and then it looks cheesy. Just be loose and comfortable. Have a conversation with your hubby about something that makes you smile and laugh together. Recall a funny memory, dream about what your baby will be like, or just laugh at how uncomfortable you are in the moment. I promise those emotions will make the photo not your pose. That's not to say posing won't help, just don't stress about it. Listen to the photographers suggestions and just try to have fun!

Best of luck to you. :)
  • Options
    ayokay516 said:

Pinterest has tons of awesome ideas. The quality of the photos will depend on the photographer. If they know what they're doing, you won't look cheesy or dumb.

The best poses are natural. Ones that you and your husband move into on your own and naturally. If it's posed, people tend to tense up and then it looks cheesy. Just be loose and comfortable. Have a conversation with your hubby about something that makes you smile and laugh together. Recall a funny memory, dream about what your baby will be like, or just laugh at how uncomfortable you are in the moment. I promise those emotions will make the photo not your pose. That's not to say posing won't help, just don't stress about it. Listen to the photographers suggestions and just try to have fun!

Best of luck to you. :)
    Thanks so much! I just down loaded Pinterest and dang, there's a LOT!