January 2016 Moms
Options

Amazon.com baby registry - unwrapped presents

Would love some advice - especially if you registered on Amazon and experienced this. Our shower is saturday and our registry is on Amazon.com. This week we have had a bunch of packages show up to the house (yay so exciting). Only issue is that when we take them to the shower, they are unwrapped so it will be a ton of cardboard boxes and some are directly in the box that displays what is in it. I personally am not a big fan of the waste of wrapping paper so it doesn't bother me at all but will it be weird for them if gifts are more displayed tha unwrapped? Second guessing the whole Amazon registry right now. Does this happen with other registries too? Appreciate any advice.

Re: Amazon.com baby registry - unwrapped presents

• Options
    My understanding is that people who choose to ship to your house are basically saying they dont feel the need to bring the gift to the shower. Im on amazon too and will just make sure I thank people in person for things they already sent. Got a cheat sheet on my phone. I dont like the public opening of presents anyway.
  • Options
    I'm going to agree with PP. if they shipped it to your house off your registry there is no need to bring it to the shower. A thank you at the shower and a thank you card afterwards are thoughtful and let them know you appreciate their thoughtfulness.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ashin121ashin121 member
    edited October 2015
    The majority shipped it to my house in Michigan because the shower was in california (my home town). I didn't bring it over to California. When I opened gifts I had a list of shipped gifts and who they were from on my phone and I read off that and thanked those people for the gifts. One of my friends did the same except she also made posters with a picture of the gift and who they were from. She hung it around the room
  • Options
    The people that shipped gifts are the ones who will not be attending, for mine. I will send them a thank you card but not acknowledge them at the actual shower.
    If you want, I don't think an unwrapped pile beside the gift table is tacky. That seems okay if you need to display these gifts.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    I'm not planning on bringing shipped gifts but was wondering what is the appropriate way to thank those people - several of whom are coming to the shower. Do I say and thank you Aunt Jen for the humidifier like in front of everyone?

Also, for those not coming to the shower, I sent thank you cards right away-- but my shower isn't for a month and I feel a little weird sending thank you's to those whose gifts I received but are coming ---- yet at the same time it seems weird not to acknowledge the gift right away?
  • Options
    The best idea I've heard of is to take pictures of these gifts to take to the shower and to take a few moments to thank the people that sent the gifts to your house. 

@ChrissyD1203 I'd go ahead and send the thank you cards for what you've received even just so it's less for you to do after your shower. Worst case is they bring another small gift and you have to write another card thanking them for their generosity. 
  • Options
    I would not bring them. I went to a shower in NY and couple love in TN we shipped them the present so they would have to drive it home. At the shower we just gave a card with the Amazon receipt, that way if they didn't get it they had the paperwork. When she opened the card she told the guest what we got her. So I would just thank them when you open the gifts if there is a card and thank them when you see them. That way they know you got it.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    Most of the gifts we received so far are from people who can't make the shower. There was a group gift from people coming, but it was our changing table, which is heavy. We plan on just thanking them at the shower if they are there to say thanks in front of the group at the end of the gift opening. We did that at our bridal shower and it worked out well. Also, having the gifts in the house, we wanted to open them right away! Lol!
  • Options
    I agree with a genuine thank you at the shower. I would actually announce that you are doing gifts, and then do the thank yous then before opening the new gifts. It doesn't feel like an afterthought that way and it recognizes people who might otherwise be feeling left out of the opening process. Just seems classy.
  • Options
    I've been getting things at home too and would not bring them to the shower! Just say thank you.