Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Worst Parenting Advice?

bumptarabumptara admin
edited January 2016 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
It seems as if the moment baby enters the world, you automatically become a magnet for unsolicited advice. Sure, some of it might be helpful, but you’re likely to receive some wacky suggestions.

Here, Bumpies share the craziest tips they’ve heard.

What is the worst parenting advice you’ve received or heard?

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook

Re: Worst Parenting Advice?

• I was told not to take my daughters pacifier away until after she's 2 years old. I also don't remember what was said, but I was given parenting advice by teenagers. They claimed they knew what they were talking about because their friends from school had babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • "There's this channel on satellite TV just for babies, you should have them watch that while you have some time to yourself to clean and stuff."

My baby was 2 months old at the time.

A) He don't need no stinkin' TV B) As if I'm going to be cleaning much at 2 months postpartum!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mybabyama15mybabyama15 member
    edited July 2015
    These are all pretty funny , especially the advice from teenagers and childless people. My SIL tries to give us advice on how to raise our 4 month old daughter but we just shrug it off. She has no kids and is t much of a kids person anyway
  • Someone told me to water down a bottle for a mid-night feeding so that after awhile my daughter would find that feeding not worth waking up for.
  • @matybethcm that has too be one of the stupidest advice I have ever heard
  • Omg that's terrible advice!
  • Very terrible .. And a health risk
  • My MIL said "don't hold him while he naps or he will want to be held all the time." She said she only held her kids when they needed fed. I wanted to say well that explains why they act the way they do! Haha
  • Almost everyone in my family has told me to givemail my baby water or honey with the excuse that saying they did it and their children are alive today
  • My MIL tried to get me to give my baby 8 Oz of water or 8 oz of undiluted apple juice to help with her acid reflux. She was like a month old.
  • My Aunt told me to start my son on rice cereal at 6 weeks so he would sleep better through the night. "Just cut the top of a bottle off and squeeze it into his mouth!" Um, no.
  • One of my hubby friend's wife who also had a baby week before I did suggested that if my baby cries in the car let her cry...her exact words were "she won't die if she was to cry".

Babies usually cry because they are uncomfortable, tired, hungry or have dirty diaper...obviously this individual doesn't understand when to let a baby cry and when not to! Interestingly, she has mentioned few times that she has been missing her baby's cues...lol!!
  • I just got some of the don't hold him so much you will spoil him advice. He was like 2 weeks old and EBF so he pretty much always needed to be in my arms at that point anyway because he was eating so often. And the just put him down and let him cry advice omg trying to explain the let down reflex to people! I should have just done it so they could watch the milk squirt out would have saved me from repeating myself so much!
  • My sister, whose oldest is a year and a half older than my oldest, advised me to give my 4 month old a pretzel to chew on while teething.
    I asked if she meant a teething ring and she said no, a hard pretzel with salt.
  • Someone told me to water down a bottle for a mid-night feeding so that after awhile my daughter would find that feeding not worth waking up for.

Actually when it's time to wean from night feeds this is an appropriate, gradual method. It worked for us!
  • Anytime anybody says to give my babies anything other than formula/breast milk. They're three months old - they literally do not need any other food/drink. 
  • kiam032kiam032 member
    My LO sratched her eyeball so it was a little red and my mom told me to put breast milk in it. :open_mouth: 
  • That's actually legit advice. When my DS had a goopey eye his ped said I could put a little breastmilk in it. 
  • kiam032 said:
    My LO sratched her eyeball so it was a little red and my mom told me to put breast milk in it. :open_mouth: 
    That is actually what you should do. We had a clogged tear duct for a while and had to do this often. Pediatrician and nurse told us to. Breast milk has special magical healing powers!
  • kiam032 said:
    Yes, breastmilk is wonderful stuff! Any time DS scratches himself, I put a little on the scratch and the redness is gone within hours.