Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

how to get toddler to eat new foods????

so my daughter just turned one and she is being really picky with solid foods. she will like put it in her mouth and spit right back out without even tasting it.

Answers

• if my daughter wont try something ... I try a piece and when she sees me try it she will usually try a piece too.  it works most of the time for me but my daughter is 18 months
  • I do that and then she just tries to get me to eat it lol
  • Loading the player...
  • She's only one, give her a break. All you can do with kids is offer them healthy foods with every meal, eat these healthy foods yourself, eat meals together so your kids see your eating habits and then hope for the best. You cannot force them, naturally, so you just have to keep offering things until your LO wants to try it.

With both of my kids (1 year and 3.5 years) I make sure to put one item on their plate that I know they like, then offer them what we are having for that meal. For example, we had chicken pot pie last night and my older child is the pickiest kid on earth so I gave him the pot pie and put some veggie straws on his plate too. If he doesn't eat anything else then he doesn't get something else later.

It's easier to be strict with older kids but my 1 year old is a little different. I do the same as I described above but I give her a little bit more of a variety to entice her to eat.

• Kids need to see, smell, and taste new foods many times before they eat it. Just keep offering small portions.

I let my son "help" while I'm prepping foods. He might play with raw veggies while chopping or help me toss a salad. I started by just letting him smell things and telling him the name.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • gracieseibgracieseib member
    edited November 2015
    I totally get it and would love advice too! My LO takes food, puts it in her mouth and spits it right back out into the tray or her bib... The only things that she eats are things that dissolve like puffs and animal crackers etc... Anything solid comes right back out! So frustrating as we have been tying several varieties of solids/mush or purée for about 5 months now... She is now over 1 and I am wondering when she will ever eat as I'd like to wean her but can't as that's her primary source right now!
  • I totally get it and would love advice too! My LO takes food, puts it in her mouth and spits it right back out into the tray or her bib... The only things that she eats are things that dissolve like puffs and animal crackers etc... Anything solid comes right back out! So frustrating as we have been tying several varieties of solids/mush or purée for about 5 months now... She is now over 1 and I am wondering when she will ever eat as I'd like to wean her but can't as that's her primary source right now!

My 13 month old does that too. She keeps some food in but loves to chew most things and then spit it out. My friends and their kids similar in age do the same thing. I'm sure it will pass!

• Just keep trying...it takes a minimum of three times for a kiddo to really decide yay or nay on something.  I usually give my daughter a few things to try and if she's only interested in the bread for instance, while she's prepping for it to head to her mouth, i'll slip a bite of something else into her mouth lol. She usually eats it and then a few minutes later she'll go test it herself (even though she rejected it the first time around). Art of distraction!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17