July 2015 Moms

Flu shots?

So there already have been some pretty heated discussions regarding vaccinations in the past. Not trying to stir up any trouble, but just wondering how many mom's got the flu shot? I did get one as well as my husband. My pediatrician said The best way to protect infants, who can't get the shot themselves, from the flu is to "cocoon" them. Meaning to have all of the people around them who spend time with them get the shot. She reiterated that it is infants and elderly people that are typically hospitalized and can die from the flu.

I Should also add that being a kindergarten teacher, I have gotten the flu shot every year for I don't know how long!

Your thoughts ladies? Without attacking me or anyone else preferably :)

Re: Flu shots?

• beeishbeeish member
    edited October 2015
    I already got my flu shot. I plan to schedule a appointment for DS next month for his flu shot. My pedi said he can give it to LO with her six month set of shots. My DH also needs to get one.
  • Already got mine and DD is scheduled to get hers when she turns 6 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD got her Flu Mist with her 2 year old check up and DS just got his on Monday. This weekend DH and I will go and get ours. We have always gotten the flu shot, and this year not only do we have an infant but my mother is immune compromised so it is high priority for us!
  • I got one 3 weeks ago because I work for a hospital and it's mandatory. Otherwise I definitely would not have. I believe last year's flu shot was 17% effective and last year two people in my dept got their flu shots and then got the flu the following week.

I still have a weird dark circle at the injection site so who knows what that is. I hate flu shots. And yes, we do all the usual vaccinations. But I hate flu shots.
  • Luckily my work lets me decline, I haven't and will not get a flu shot. 2 years ago when they switched the formula and took out the eggs in it, I got the shot and 4 days later ran a 103 or higher temperature for week, had all kinds of blood tests, flu tests and what not and no answers. I just reacted badly. Plus with the virus mutating and it only being 17% effective last year, it's not worth it to me. 
  • I got it. I have to for work, but I would have anyway. I want to avoid spreading anything to my baby boy. I bring home enough germs working in the ER as it is. My hubby will be getting it as soon as his work offers it too. I made my hibby go update his tDAP before baby was here to protect against whooping cough too. I'm a firm believer in vaccinations.
  • I got mine and anyone who will watch ds will have theirs too. I'm also considering getting ds his when he is old enough, too, but I have to ask his ped.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm going to get mine, and my 5 year old got the mist at school. I'll schedule baby to get his when he is old enough. When my 5 year old was 4 months old, he and I both got the flu and it was terrible. That was the only year I didn't get a flu shot.
  • I did only for lo otherwise I would not have at all. I hate hate shots.
  • I took an EMT class, and the general consensus among the teachers was that the flu vaccine is a "crapshoot." Like @SnarkasaurusRex said, experts have to take their best guess at what the flu will be like in any given year, so it may or may not work. In the years when I have gotten the shot, I've inevitably come down with the flu, so I tend to opt out. That said, I'm primarily a pro-vaccine person. This is the only one that I avoid.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • And my comment is not directed towards the poster just the world in general
  • I will get one this year and try to make hubby do it as well! My son was supposed to get flu mist at school this week but he has a bad cold so I had to have him skip it :( but I will schedule one for him when he is better.
  • Nice Ladies!! =D> It appears as though most of us are on the same page for all the right reasons! The most important being protecting our precious little ones! :x
  • I should state that one factor in my decision not to get the shot is my exceptionally high degree of control over my environment and contact with people. I work from home, and most of my shopping is done online. I avoid crowded places, and make sure people I see are in good health (at least not contagious) before making plans. If I was still working with the general public, my decision may have been different.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Everyone in my family all got the flu shot. Better safe than sorry!
  • @AnnaAT me too!! I told them they had to!!
  • Last fall was the first time I had ever got the flu shot, and the only reason I'm getting it this year is because I want to pass the antibodies (and not the vaccine) to my LO through breastfeeding. I do not plan on him getting his own shot as long as he is getting my milk.

I work in a hotel and my office is in the laundry department - I come into contact with a lot of gross stuff, but have never gotten sick from it. I can't remember when I had the flu and the last time I had a cold was about 2 years ago.
  • I plan on getting it as usual, but I heard that they did not match the strain that will be prominent this year. Same thing happened last year when I was pregnant and I felt like getting it was kind of pointless since it didn't protect against the main strain.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tibi5... Think about What @SnarkasaurusRex said...

"The virus mutates every year because it reproduces and spreads so rapidly. Immunologists study what strains are prevalent and predict the top 3 strains for that flu season to go into the shot. Last year a different mutation was the most common one, which caused the low effectiveness of the vaccine. However, people who received the flu shot but still got the flu (like myself) already had a slight leg up on the virus and were not sick as long as people who had no shot. So, even if the shot is not completely effective at stopping you from getting the illness, it should shorten the time that you are sick and contagious to your LOs.

I'm immunocompromised so I get my flu shot every year. It's better than getting the full on flu and winding up hospitalized. Plus I teach high school and kids are gross."
  • I'm really glad you brought this topic up, @ecloho. I always get mine but I totally forgot about it this year.

Does LO need to be 6 months before she can get her shot? She will be 6 months on 12/20 then. We will be in NY with our very large family for Christmas... Lots of kids.

I am so glad that antibodies are carried through breast milk.

I was sick as a dog -- coughing blood for 2 1/2 months last winter, while pregnant -- because I worked in a Kindergarten. It started with the flu. I'm hoping that this year's vaccine is more effective.
  • I did only for lo otherwise I would not have at all. I hate hate shots.

This is me as well. I never took the flu shot until I got pregnant. DD won't be able to get one until January so anything I can do to protect DD from the flu is worth it.