Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Cereal vs. Formula

My LO started daycare recently (he's 15 weeks) and is eating more from bottles than I can pump during the day. I'm working hard trying to increase my supply but he's gradually depleting my freezer stash and keeps eating more! Our daycare provider is suggesting that maybe it's time to start cereal and/or supplement with formula. Are there advantages of one over the other? He's usually eating about 2-6 oz more than I pump each day. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Cereal vs. Formula

• Formula makes more sense since technically babies aren't supposed to start solids until around 6 months. Even if you start earlier, the cereal is generally mixed with formula or breast milk so the majority of baby's calories are coming from milk/formula.
  • If you have to supplement, use formula. Before supplementing, I would make sure that daycare isn't over feeding him. Milk comes out of the bottle much faster than the breast, even using the level 1 nipples (which you should be - ignore the age range shown on the package). To compensate, a paced feeding is recommended - you have the baby take a short break from the bottle every few minutes. How much is he taking while he is at daycare? How many hours is he there?

• Loading the player...
  • If you need to supplement, definitely formula.  It is nutritionally complete, while cereal is basically crap with additives to make it 'nutritious'.

• marajay6 said:
    If you have to supplement, use formula. Before supplementing, I would make sure that daycare isn't over feeding him. Milk comes out of the bottle much faster than the breast, even using the level 1 nipples (which you should be - ignore the age range shown on the package). To compensate, a paced feeding is recommended - you have the baby take a short break from the bottle every few minutes. How much is he taking while he is at daycare? How many hours is he there?

All of this. Cereal has zero nutritional value so don't use that right now.