Breastfeeding
Options

dwindling supply

Help, I am heartbroken and saddened that I am not making enough for my LO. Baby boy had very bad jaundice at the hospital because my milk hadn't come in so we started supplementing and he would easily take down 1oz or a little more. Once my milk came in we exclusively breast fed and his weight increased slowly but was stooling once ever 48-72 hours which concerned me. Our pediatricians asked that we offer him formula after each nursing session to ensure that he is well fed so I started doing this for the past week. After each nursing session he could take down anywhere from 0.5 - 2.5oz of formula. Does this mean he isn't getting any breast milk from me?? When he's at the breast sometimes he fusses and pulls away and cries but I know there's milk because when I give my breasts a squeeze, milk comes out. How many oz should a baby that is 3 weeks old consume? My breasts no longer feel full and I fear that with the supplementing he is using my breasts as a pacifier and just taking food from the bottle. I have tried everything to increase milk supply - mothers milk tea, fenugreek supplements, papaya, nursing every 1-3hrs, etc. the only thing I haven't mastered is pumping because my nipples are sore and it is extremely painful. I also literally don't have time to nurse. After we nurse, supplement, and burp it takes a long time to put LO down to sleep so I can free up my hands and pump and when my hands are free they are prioritized to feed myself and take care of baby stuff before I can sit down and pump. Is it possible that my supply will never come back and I should just give up?

Re: dwindling supply

• Options
    Nursing is the best way to boost your supply. Your baby feeding more often or for longer is what triggers your body to produce more milk. Just because your breast don't feel hard or full anymore doesn't mean there isn't milk in there. My lo prefers to nurse on one side more than the other too. I always start her off on the side she dislikes more and then move her after she pops off or really refuses. Can your SO help with putting the baby down so you can pump after you finish nursing? Check to see if your flanges are the right side. It shouldn't hurt. Also try using some nipple cream if you haven't already. Earth momma is my favorite. Gl.
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Options
    Check kellymom.com for good info on this. LO taking another few oz of formula after nursing is not indicative of your supply - babies will often continue to eat after they are already full. If you're really worried he's not emptying the breast you can contact an LC for a weighed feeding, they'll be able to tell you exactly how much he gets when he nurses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second seeing a lactation consultant to help answer your supply questions and provide reassurance. It's difficult to determine on your own how much LO is eating and what your supply is. I went through a similar situation, and an LC visit was invaluable in observing LO and me personal suggestions and peace of mind. 

I supplemented with formula early on when LO was jaundiced, but had to stop at about 6 weeks, when he got blood in his stool. After that I managed with bf-ing only, no formula and no pumping until I went back to work at 12 weeks (then I rented a hospital grade pump, as a low producer, I wanted all the help I could get). 
    LO has had slow but steady weight gain, but has been healthy. For the first couple months, he fed 10-13 times a day for 40+ minutes each feeding. Like you said, it was exhausting, with barely any time between feedings. Try setting up a nursing station for yourself where you keep snacks and beverage on hand. 
    Hang in there! Those first few weeks are tough and stressful, but as babies gets more efficient with eating, they'll gradually require less and less time for nursing.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    thank you ladies for all your advice. i am going to try to call the lactation consultant to come by again. the other week we ordered a digital infant scale to weigh the baby before and after feedings. i am also going to try to order some lactation cookies!

• Options
    I made the booby bites from pinterest. They are delicious, I replaced chocolate chips with dried blueberries, added some pecans, and upped the brewers yeast and I love them! They are sweet, but not too sweet which was my fear with the choc. I also picked up a herbal supplement from my local health store, they are capsules and they have fenugreek, blessed thistle, goats rue, and a couple of other herbs that I have seen as supply boosting. I like them because the recommendation is once a day which is easy for me to remember and keep up with. I don't know if it's placebo effect or if it the boosters already kicking in but I've pumped three times today and I've gotten 4 ounces each time, which is definitely an improvement over the 2 ounces I was getting.