2nd Trimester
Options

Hep B detected in pregnancy notes?

I'm really confused. I'm nearly 25 weeks and was just casually looking through my pregnancy notes tonight. In my booking in blood investigations for HIV etc all say "neg" but next to the hep B it says "detected" surely they would have told me if I had hep b as this is news to me???? Next to "action" it says Nil. Can anyone explain this to me as no one has mentioned anything?

Re: Hep B detected in pregnancy notes?

• Options
    Have you had the hep b vaccine? The lab test could be detecting the antibodies from the vaccine which is why they wouldn't have mentioned it because you wouldn't be infected with hep b if that were the case.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What'd your OB say when you asked them this question that only they could answer?

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I've not had chance to ask them as I only saw it tonight whilst looking through my notes out of bordom. Sent me in to panic mode. But may be it is antibodies as surely it would have said positive rather than detected. Obviously I will ask at my next app. Just thought I'd see if anyone else had this
  • Options
    Only ur doc can answer this....Obviously if u had it they should've told u though-- so I'm guessing u don't. All u can do is wait to talk to ur doc
  • Options
    soxfan9968soxfan9968 member
    edited October 2015
    I agree with pp. If you had the vaccine for Hep B. They may just be noting that anti-bodies were detected. If your doctor has your medical history and knows you've had the vaccine, it'd explain why she/he hasn't mentioned it. I'd still ask your doc just to be sure but I wouldn't be alarmed. Hep B can cause some pretty serious consequences and your doc would've mentioned it if it were a concern.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am with the other ladies over it could be from the vaccine. That's how they test to see if we have immunity. My OB tested to see if I had immunity to Rubella because they had some cases of it and I can't get a booster shot because I have an allergy to the booster. Last pregnancy I had no immunity, but I have immunity this time.
    Hoping it's just picking up that you had the vaccine!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, calmed me down a bit. Obviously I'll ask at my next app. Was a shock seeing it haha
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited October 2015
    There are many different Hep B antigens tested in blood and depending which one is positive it may signal acute infection, old infection or immunization. Rather than panicking, talk to your doctor to find out which one it is. Have you ever received Hep B vaccine? If so, this could be the case.