Baby Names

Our babygirls name, curious on your opinions/feedback

13»

Re: Our babygirls name, curious on your opinions/feedback

• ^^ WSS. And I will repeat: if those are your hiring practices, you are doing the qualified Guccis of the world a favor. Because if your hiring practices are that bad, your business model and how you treat people are also going to be sub-par.

And since women are often the victims of gender discrimination, if you actually believe in the "resume test" then name your children white male names, regardless of sex or ethnicity or whatever.

@breezycat You wanted the name in the subject line because you wanted to recognize someone's name? So not only is discrimination and nepotism your hiring practice, but the Name field on emails isn't clear enough for you? I call BS. Or incompetence.
  • ^^ WSS. And I will repeat: if those are your hiring practices, you are doing the qualified Guccis of the world a favor. Because if your hiring practices are that bad, your business model and how you treat people are also going to be sub-par.

And since women are often the victims of gender discrimination, if you actually believe in the "resume test" then name your children white male names, regardless of sex or ethnicity or whatever.

@breezycat You wanted the name in the subject line because you wanted to recognize someone's name? So not only is discrimination and nepotism your hiring practice, but the Name field on emails isn't clear enough for you? I call BS. Or incompetence.

A lot of couples are actually opting for gender neutral or traditionally male names for this very reason. Why do you think there are so many little girls with names like Ryan out there? Not acknowledging name/gender/class discrimination doesn't change that it exists. Choosing to name your baby something off the wall isn't proving anything to anyone or changing the world, it's just POTENTIALLY causing your child grief down the road.
  • Loading the player...
  • HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited October 2015
    Parents don't do any favors to their kids with the oddball names, but straight up hiring discrimination is a million times worse. And the complete lack of remorse about it makes me so angry. People make the effort to apply for a job. Give them the courtesy of reviewing their application. If a person doesn't have time to do it without being a biased party then they shouldn't be in charge of hiring. Period. (@virginiaunicorn11 I'm confused by the world).

PS not a fan of the name Nirvana personally, to respond to the initial poster. But it's easy to spell and pronounce, so I still dislike it less than the Jaxxxynns and such of the world!

A lot of couples are actually opting for gender neutral or traditionally male names for this very reason. Why do you think there are so many little girls with names like Ryan out there? Not acknowledging name/gender/class discrimination doesn't change that it exists. Choosing to name your baby something off the wall isn't proving anything to anyone or changing the world, it's just POTENTIALLY causing your child grief down the road.
    I don't disagree with you at all. I am just saying that this is my problem with the so called "resume test." Elizabeth Jane stands to face just as much discrimination, purely because she is female. So using the "resume test" as a reason for not naming your baby Nirvana, or whatever, is not a good enough reason for me.

All the points here about the band and its affiliations are much more persuasive than the fact that some idiot may one day trash Nirvana's resume without opening it. IMHO.
  • Band aside, I don't really think it's appropriate to name a kid after religious/cultural concepts, unless you are a part of that culture and it's done there. For example, Jesus isn't an uncommon Hispanic name, but you don't hear the name with the Western pronunciation. You wouldn't name your kid Eucharist or Hanukkah or... I'm blanking, but you get the picture. 

But yeah, people will think of the band first. 

Yes, people do get bad first impressions from names in the hiring process and it affects their judgement, whether they realize it or not. Studies have been done, more for ethnic sounding names, but I'm sure that Nirvana or Rainbow and whatnot don't go over all that well either. By study, I mean the same resume is sent, just with a different name, and the "normal" name gets picked, so nope it's not because Jamiroquai had some other fault. Same goes for female vs male names but that's another rant... People don't do it purposefully, but have a preconceived idea that the person is less qualified. 

I obviously touched a nerve with a lot of people and it wasn't my intention to start a debate. I'm going to respond to you since you insulted me then I plan on letting this go because I don't care enough to argue indefinitely.

In my defense, I don't work in HR and my job typically had nothing to do with hiring people. Like I said before, I was very busy with my regular job duties and I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible so I thought bringing in someone that I knew was qualified without having to spend hours reading resumes sounded like a good idea at the time. People get jobs through connections all of the time so I don't think my method was all that unusual. It didn't matter anyway because I didn't recognize any of the people applying for the position and I still ended up reading at least fifty resumes.

The women that he ended up hiring is still with the company and from my understanding doing a great job so apparently I'm not that incompetent.

Lastly, perhaps my method of sorting through resumes was stupid but so is naming your child after a brand of clothing. It's possible that Gucci got an amazing job somewhere selling expensive handbags and is thanking me for not reading her resume.
  • I instantly think of the band. While they had some great music, most of the things that come to mind when I think of Nirvana are not very positive.

If you're 100% committed to the name, go with Rose Nirvana instead so that your daughter can have a "normal" name when she's an adult.
  • Thank you, I appreciate the honesty and how you chose to voice your opinion in a way with respect but still making it clear. Good luck to all you ladies and wish you all health and happiness
  • Man, for all the whining about proven hiring practices with regards to names there sure are a lot of people here saying that the parents of a kid who like the band are hippies and burnouts. The name is terrible, but I'd at least be thinking the parents had good taste in music. I'd be less likely to send my kid over to play if their friend was named, like, Nickelback or something.

I am dying. You just won the internet in my eyes.

• Man, for all the whining about proven hiring practices with regards to names there sure are a lot of people here saying that the parents of a kid who like the band are hippies and burnouts. The name is terrible, but I'd at least be thinking the parents had good taste in music. I'd be less likely to send my kid over to play if their friend was named, like, Nickelback or something.

I am dying. You just won the internet in my eyes.

Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I love Nirvana Rose! It's beautiful it flows nicely and unique enough without being weird also the meaning is gorgeous some of you ladies are kind of harsh I understand being asked for an honest opinion but you could still give an opinion without losing class and tact after all we are all in the same boat and we are talking about a beautiful innocent unborn child

Also as for the whole job thing as an owner of a conservative office in an upper class area and I read all resumes before and/or after my HR and office manager I have never turned someone down based on a name if I want the best office I need the best team so clearly if someone is not hiring you based upon a name why would you want to work for such a person/company in fact I find it better and some what refreshing not having to refer to someone by a last initial because there's so many anyways good luck all