May 2016 Moms
Options

Feeling confused/nervous after 1st prenatal visit...overreacting?

Hi Momma's!

So I went to my first ultrasound appt today and was a little dissapointed because we couldn't hear the heartbeat yet, but it is still kind of early so that's ok.
The Doctor did say that it was "small" and that I'm more like 6 wk 2 d, rather than 7w 2d. That's confusing to me though because every other app tells me that I'm 7w 2d.
my ultrasound also says "GA: 7w2d" Did I miss something, am I just not getting it?

He wants me to come back next week for another ultrasound, and he had me leave some blood to check my progesterone levels. It's good to see that there was a little "tadpole" in there, I was just expecting to maybe see more or something, I don't know. WHy are they checking progesterone? What are they looking for?

Now I just have a million thoughts running through my head and just feel.....BLAH. Am I overthinking things? Has this happened to anyone else?

Here's my little peanut...

Re: Feeling confused/nervous after 1st prenatal visit...overreacting?

• Options
    Where you charting? Do you know when you ovulated? Apps are based on a "standard" 28 day cycle. Most people have shorter or longer cycles, so confirmed dating can vary from your LMP estimated date. I wouldn't worry unless the doctor seemed concerned.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @yogahh, yea according to the ovulation tests, I ovulated on day 16 of my cycle, maybe that's throwing it off a little?
    He didn't really seem worried, but he was hard to read today  because he came in all frazzled because he had a doctors appt. himself this morning, and was running late to the office...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me. They're just testing to make sure everything is on the up and up. Everything will be more clear on your next visit. LMP doesn't really mean much since everyone is different. Next time you go in for an ultrasound, he'll be able to measure growth and give you a due date.
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me - thought I was 7 weeks and when I had my appt they couldn't see anything, just the yolk sac (no fetal pole) so they guessed I was earlier than we had thought from LMP. Went back the next week and saw the little squiggle and had a heart beat. Don't worry unless your doctor specifically tells you there is an issue... There's likely not!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry. It's standard to check levels, in some cases it's the norm for women through first trimester. As for progesterone, that is the hormone which keeps the pregnancy so to speak. If your levels are low, your Dr. Will most likely prescribe you progesterone tablets.
  • Options
    Thanks @missnc77, @LMGMango, & @folamiji!! Making me feel a little better about everything...
    I love these forums 
    :D :x
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me, based on LMP I should have been eight weeks one day at my appointment Monday but she said the baby was smaller and more seven weeks one day. She said that you can never be certain when conception happened because it can be a few days after you had sex. So there shouldn't be any need to worry!
  • Options
    The reason your ultrasound said GA: 7w3d is because the tech plugged in your expected date based on you LMP which appears to be inaccurate. I thought I was 8w2d but measured 7w 3d when I went on 9/29. They took several measurements and gave me the average. Even with a TV US he struggled a bit at first because 7 weeks is very early to see much.
  • Options
    Pretty much the same thing happened to me at my first appointment. Based on lmp my due date is 5/4, according to measurements taken at that appointment it was 5/10. I think I was around 8 weeks at the time. She had me come in 3 weeks later for another u/s, this was the past Monday. I am now measuring 1 day ahead and my due date was 5/3. I understand your concerns though, I had that nagging feeling that something could be off the entire time. I was so relieved after my last appointment! It's also important to remember that while these measurements are the most accurate while baby is still teeny tiny, they are not always 100% accurate. Hang in there!!
  • Options
    They start counting from the first day of your last menstrual cycle, which can throw off a lot of people (especially those who are irregular) by about 2 weeks. At my first appointment, the OB nurses insisted I was almost 10 days further along than I knew I was so I keep that in mind when they say otherwise.