Baby Names

Our babygirls name, curious on your opinions/feedback

Re: Our babygirls name, curious on your opinions/feedback

• If you want to call her Vana, why not just name her Vanna? That's a legit name, not common, and the only association is Vanna White, which isn't exactly weird/negative.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I feel like by posting this you were kind of looking for a fight... You said yourself you knew people wouldn't like it and would say harsh things yet posted it anyway...what was the point?   As far as the name, to each their own. Good luck with your first baby girl :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    klirwin82 said:
    The refrain of "they're never going to get a job" is pure bunk. Bachelor's degree (term used lightly) from University of Phoenix and little Jamiroquai isn't hired? Let's be honest, it's not because his name is Jamiroquai. When Nirvana graduates from Princeton you can be damn sure she's on the top of my candidate list because with a name like that I figure she has a different perspective to contribute. Nirvana stands out, especially when her resume is in the pile with 5 Ava's and 2 Sophie's and 3 Ellie Graces. Start your 529 plan now and use a name you love.

Don't forget all the Madison's and Mackenzie's.
    I'd be more likely to consider Nirvana's resume than the twentieth Madison/Madycen/Maddicyn/Medicine (Come on you all know somebody out there did it). If all other things were equal aside from the name.
  • I immediately think that her parents are  new age hippies and/or hipsters who are trying to hard, because I think of the Hindu term--the highest ground of existence.  It also then reminds me of people using Nevaeh b/c it's "heaven" backwards.

I really just think it comes across as trying to hard.  So I personally wouldn't use it, but its your child, not mine.
  • kmcc14 said:

Nirvana would have to get into Princeton, which might be difficult.  If Nirvana has a resume that looks similar to others applying for the same job, studies show that the odds are not in her favor.

I'd argue Nirvana may actually have a better shot at admission than a Brittany with the same scores & extracurriculars. Reason being the assumption is that with that name, she might have had a more unconventional upbringing. Admissions wants students from diverse backgrounds and with nonconformist perspectives. It's an equally unfair practice as tossing J'Shawndra's resume in the trash but I absolutely believe they admit Nirvana over Brittany or Tiffany given the exact same stats.
  • I think it will fit perfectly for your family
  • klirwin82 said:
    The refrain of "they're never going to get a job" is pure bunk. Bachelor's degree (term used lightly) from University of Phoenix and little Jamiroquai isn't hired? Let's be honest, it's not because his name is Jamiroquai. When Nirvana graduates from Princeton you can be damn sure she's on the top of my candidate list because with a name like that I figure she has a different perspective to contribute. Nirvana stands out, especially when her resume is in the pile with 5 Ava's and 2 Sophie's and 3 Ellie Graces. Start your 529 plan now and use a name you love.

I agree to an extent...I mean if Nirvana has gone to Princeton and my other applicants have gone to a less prestigious university, then yes, Nirvana would score an interview.  However, if Nirvana's resume is absolutely identical to Jessica's, and I HAVE to pick one of them to interview, knowing that the impression my staff person makes on my clients is extremely important, I'm picking Jessica.

Nirvana makes me think of the band, drugs, and suicide.  I mean I like the band and everything, and I absolutely know the actual meaning of the word Nirvana.  But the first thing I think of is a band with a notorious drug problem and depression issues so...I'd be worried about a client getting an email from Nirvana Smith and not taking her seriously.  Though if I was named Nirvana Rose, I would have just started going by Rose professionally almost immediately, which would absolutely be an option for her.  But when you use a name like that, you're making it harder for your kid than it would otherwise be.  If you're comfortable with that, proceed.

• So OP, let me see if I followed you correctly... you want opinions... but only if those opinions align with your own or are filled with rainbows and glitter...

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • I do think it's pretty, but I have to agree that it will make it harder for her to be taken seriously in a professional environment. 

Reality is that women have to work harder to prove themselves, and fair or not, people DO make snap judgments based on things like names.  A name that brings to mind the band Nirvana, or a spacey-hippie vibe, is only going to make it that much more challenging. It creates a very strong bias in how she is going to be perceived before someone even meets her.
  • Don't like it at all. Love the band though, and that's what it reminds me of. Might be worth doing some reading on the type of parents Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love were/are. She used drugs quite heavily during pregnancy, baby was born addicted, and they lost custody for a time. Then there's the suicide, utterly sad lyrics, and all sorts of other drama - just no good connections in general.

Lol at Pearl Jam or Alice Inchains (though the latter might be just as depressing!)
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• breezycat said:

Pearl Jam or Alice Inchains would be nicer but Nirvana is ok.

Aerosmith is pretty cool too. I personally prefer ACDC, pronounced Ah-ss-diss
  • I saw the term "babygirls" in the title, and "Nirvana" in the post....

....::whistling and walking away::
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Rose is fantastic. Nirvana, if you want to use it I would suggest using it as a MN. 
  • First thought was the grunge band.

Second thought was suicide by shotgun.

Don't really want that line of thinking associated with meeting my child for the first time. Also, you're not naming her after the band but prepare to tell that to pretty much everyone you know and will meet in the future. It's like naming a kid Pepsi and saying "But not after the soda!"
    My brother named his son Archer, and he was a fan of the show prior to his sons birth and now swears he has never watched. And it's a hilarious but highly crude show. We all know he named his son after the character.
  • @breezycat I wonder if there were any unintended racial effects of your arbitrary screening? Something to think about next time.

If you're still reading OP, please do consider Rose Nirvana. Rose is gorgeous.
  • @breezycat he asked you to screen for the most qualified candidates, and this was your method? And you're lecturing OP on how things work in a professional setting?! LMAO

I'd never want to work for a company who thought it was more productive/ effective to use these hiring methods. "Conservative" is a great euphemism for this nonsense. @JadaBlue is spot on, though my guess is the discrimination goes well beyond race
  • JadaBlue said:

@breezycat I wonder if there were any unintended racial effects of your arbitrary screening? Something to think about next time.

If you're still reading OP, please do consider Rose Nirvana. Rose is gorgeous.

I considered not posting what I wrote because I figured someone would bring that up. I have no idea what the race of Gucci or Feather is but I know that I thought their names were stupid and I didn't have time to read everyone's resume.

There are plenty of names that are more common among African-Americans that I consider pretty normal and I wouldn't have passed over their resumes based on name alone. Ebony and Tasha are the first two that come to mind.

Just for the record, I'm Puerto Rican so I'm not exactly a member of the KKK.
  • My mind immediately goes to the band and then Kurt cobain and drugs. I'm 23 and I didn't grow up with the band like older generations did, but the association is there. It's not entirely a good one.

You seem to have made up your mind about it, which is up to you ultimately. But I would take the negative comments into consideration as much as the positive ones, because likely a lot of people your daughter Meets will have mixed opinions too and they won't always be good. It's something you have to be prepared for.
  • breezycat said:

And while you're busy sorting Gucci's resume into your trash bin, there are plenty of hiring managers who would see a resume from a Rachel Rodriguez or Carmen Gutierrez and direct that to the trash. Like you said, life isn't fair. That's why if people are discriminating on the basis of names, you'll never win, "normal" first name or not. So I think it's a moot point. Side note, why not have the candidates submit resumes with the subject line describing their experience? Like "exp'd sales mgr, 6+ yrs" - seems like this hiring process was designed to arbitrarily filter out candidates based on name rather than skill set.

And final point on names, I am absolutely voting Deez Nuts for president in 2016. Based wholly on name. And if Deez Nuts wins, you all need to apologize to OP for giving her shit about the name Nirvana.

• Don't listen to all these naysayers. Nirvana is a great name. Not to mention, it is YOUR choice, and yours alone. I honestly don't think it will impact her negatively in any way. You do you, mama!
  • As a partial Buddhist and Hindu (I incorporate lots of religions), I completely understand the meaning of Nirvana and the sentiment. It might be a nice first name (but probably nms) if not for the band (which I never liked, and I'm old enough to have listened to then when they were around). However, the band association will not go away, even if you didn't choose the mane due to the band. And it's not a good association.

Does anyone know if Nirvana is a legit first name in the Hindu or Buddhist culture?

Also, I am the biggest die hard Bon Jovi fan. Have been forever. Would have loved to name DS Jovi (or even Jovian), but I didn't, because that would be weird and he shouldn't be saddled with that.

• breezycat said:

Pearl Jam or Alice Inchains would be nicer but Nirvana is ok.

I was just about to say that I'm naming my baby Guns N'Roses and I see nothing wrong with Nirvana. :-bd
  • YogaSandy said:
    As a partial Buddhist and Hindu (I incorporate lots of religions), I completely understand the meaning of Nirvana and the sentiment. It might be a nice first name (but probably nms) if not for the band (which I never liked, and I'm old enough to have listened to then when they were around). However, the band association will not go away, even if you didn't choose the mane due to the band. And it's not a good association. Does anyone know if Nirvana is a legit first name in the Hindu or Buddhist culture? Also, I am the biggest die hard Bon Jovi fan. Have been forever. Would have loved to name DS Jovi (or even Jovian), but I didn't, because that would be weird and he shouldn't be saddled with that.
    According to Behindthename.com (usually a pretty respectable site for name and name history), it is not.

• Don't listen to all these naysayers. Nirvana is a great name. Not to mention, it is YOUR choice, and yours alone. I honestly don't think it will impact her negatively in any way. You do you, mama!
    Here's the thing: she asked for opinions. People gave them. A person can't be upset if there are others who don't like her name choice after she asked for their input on it. At some point, hopefully, people will grasp this concept.
    I get so tired of hearing this argument too. Yes, at the end of the day, it is your choice what you name your baby. But is it fair to slap a ridiculous name on a baby without thinking of the consequences? What if someone wanted to name their baby a derogatory or otherwise insulting word? CAN they? Yes. SHOULD they? Probably not.
  • klirwin82 said:

breezycat said:

And while you're busy sorting Gucci's resume into your trash bin, there are plenty of hiring managers who would see a resume from a Rachel Rodriguez or Carmen Gutierrez and direct that to the trash. Like you said, life isn't fair. That's why if people are discriminating on the basis of names, you'll never win, "normal" first name or not. So I think it's a moot point. Side note, why not have the candidates submit resumes with the subject line describing their experience? Like "exp'd sales mgr, 6+ yrs" - seems like this hiring process was designed to arbitrarily filter out candidates based on name rather than skill set.

And final point on names, I am absolutely voting Deez Nuts for president in 2016. Based wholly on name. And if Deez Nuts wins, you all need to apologize to OP for giving her shit about the name Nirvana.

The reason I requested the applicants put their names in the subject line is because I was hoping I would recognize someone that I had previously worked with and I knew would be a good fit for the job. Admittedly, I was trying to avoid reading a million resumes. Nope, life isn't fair.
  • First thing I think of is the band, drugs and suicide. Pretty much everyone will think of those things. Everyone will then judge you for naming your girl after the band and assume you were a hippy on drugs.
    I work in a professional office where the most abnormal name, I can think of, is a guy named Hunter. Not even weird but he gets asked about his name all the time. I have to interview people and I don't even interview people unless they have a normal name. We work with clients and I don't want to hire someone and tell very important clients that "insert abnormal name here" is going to be managing their portfolio.
    I think Rose is a much better choice.
  • Nirvana actually has a beautiful meaning, I love it. Who wants to be ordinary anyways?
  • kmcc14 said:
    @breezycat he asked you to screen for the most qualified candidates, and this was your method? And you're lecturing OP on how things work in a professional setting?! LMAO I'd never want to work for a company who thought it was more productive/ effective to use these hiring methods. "Conservative" is a great euphemism for this nonsense. @JadaBlue is spot on, though my guess is the discrimination goes well beyond race
    Here's the thing though - the situation she described is probably not unique to her office.  Sure, in an ideal world the person doing the hiring would have tons of time to give thorough and equal to review to all of the resumes that they receive.  We don't live in an ideal world.  People are busy.  Resumes get skipped for shoddy layout and bad font too.  That's life.  Most job positions get a large number of applicants, and the person doing the hiring is going to use some superficial filters to narrow down the large pile of resumes.
    ^^ Completely agree. 
  • breezycat said:

I'll say this about the resume test, when I told my last boss that I wouldn't be back after I had my baby he asked me to help find my replacement. He wanted me to put an ad online and set up interviews with the most qualified applicants. In the ad I asked that the applicant put their first and last name in the subject line of their email.

Anyway, to my surprise by the end of the day I had over a hundred resumes in my inbox. I didn't have time to read that many resumes so I passed over resumes that had hard to pronounce or silly sounding names. I worked in a very conservative office and my boss would not want an assistant named Moonbeam or Vajayjay. I don't remember all of the names I passed over but I do remember Feather and Gucci because they were so ridiculous. He ended up hiring a woman named Rachel. The others I set up an interview with were Jessica, Anita and Carmen (I don't remember the other name.)

My point is, names do matter. Maybe is wasn't fair that Gucci didn't get an interview based on her name but life isn't fair. That's not to say that Gucci will never get hired but her name definitely is going to be an obstacle.

Although I don't like ridiculous names, and Gucci is pretty bad, Feather could very well be Native American. There was a resident at my hospital not long ago named Feather Bighawk. She will be a great physician.
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited October 2015
    For all the reasons PPs have mentioned, I would never EVER name my child that. I would side eye the crap out of parents who did.
    I love the band though, and recently bought this shirt in Target because I think it's adorable. You should get one too!

ETA it's a toddler's shirt.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow, it's depressing some of you seem to think hiring based on name is a good idea. I work in a very diverse work place and a lot of people have "non-normal" names, particularly people with different ethnic backgrounds. I haven't noted any relation between performance and normalness of name and I think you give other adults too little credit by assuming they can't interact appropriately with people who don't have a name similar to their own ideas of what's normal. Maybe this varies by location or the line of work you do, but I'm missing any value in this practice.
  • JadaBlue said:

Wow, it's depressing some of you seem to think hiring based on name is a good idea. I work in a very diverse work place and a lot of people have "non-normal" names, particularly people with different ethnic backgrounds. I haven't noted any relation between performance and normalness of name and I think you give other adults too little credit by assuming they can't interact appropriately with people who don't have a name similar to their own ideas of what's normal. Maybe this varies by location or the line of work you do, but I'm missing any value in this practice.

I don't think any (or at least very few) of the people who mention this think that it's a good thing, just that it does happen. I don't like that Jane's resume is statistically passed over more often than John's (and don't get me started on Jamal or José) but I do know that it happens. It's the same with Jackson v Jaxxson. It's biased and stereotyping and wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens and as the one giving the name we don't want to do anything that could get in the way of our child's future opportunities.
    Anniversary 
  • JadaBlue said:

Wow, it's depressing some of you seem to think hiring based on name is a good idea. I work in a very diverse work place and a lot of people have "non-normal" names, particularly people with different ethnic backgrounds. I haven't noted any relation between performance and normalness of name and I think you give other adults too little credit by assuming they can't interact appropriately with people who don't have a name similar to their own ideas of what's normal. Maybe this varies by location or the line of work you do, but I'm missing any value in this practice.

It's not necessarily a good idea, but the point is that it still happens.

Something else to consider is how parent's of your child's friends will view the name. If my little girl came home and asked if she could go to her friend Nirvana's house I would be very hesitant because I would be concerned her parents may be burnouts, regardless of how well I may feel like I know the parents. Right or wrong it's something to consider. Teachers, future in-laws etc. may all have this thought. The meaning is beautiful, but that doesn't mean it's a good name.
  • @mrstrax @doodleoodle I agree with everything that two of you wrote,except:  deliberately weeding people out because of their names and declaring "life's not fair," or deliberately weeding people out because of their names and declaring "I don't want to introduce a client to an employee named Gucci" is not acknowledging bias, it's perpetuating what might be discrimination based on class, race, or ethnicity.  Sure, life indeed isn't fair, but I hope we can aspire to at least not consciously making it so for others based on their parents' choices.  Stepping off soap box. 
  • I think people want mean comments or they wouldn't post this kind of thread.... And all I think about is the band and that is where my thoughts stop....I like Vana though.