March 2015 Moms
Options

Flu shot

I was just wondering if anybody else is getting their baby a flu shot. Me and my husband don't get it and as far as we can remember never had one. A lot of people in my family always end up with the flu after a flu shot.

Re: Flu shot

• Options
    DustyMelonsDustyMelons member
    edited September 2015

chelsco13 said:
    I was just wondering if anybody else is getting their baby a flu shot. Me and my husband don't get it and as far as we can remember never had one. A lot of people in my family always end up with the flu after a flu shot.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Does+the+flu+shot+cause+the+flu?
  • Options
    And yes, my baby is receiving the flu vaccine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son already got his first one. Babies need 2 their first year, 1 month apart.
  • Options
    My little guy got his. I never get them and neither does my husband but I'd rather have little man get it to be safe.
  • Options
    We got his today. I don't like it, but I figure the doctor knows more about it than I do. I trusted my doctor and we got him it with the rest of his 6 month shots today
  • Options
    I get the flu shot every year working in healthcare as I do. The one year I skipped it, I did end up with the flu. :( So I have no problem getting flu shots for the whole family.
  • Options
    The pediatrician recommended giving the flu shot in the beginning of October, since it takes about two weeks for antibodies to develop in the body. Flu season here starts in November and lasts till about January.

@chelsco13 As far as your family members getting sick after receiving the flu shot, you can read up on misconceptions here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

• Options
    The baby and I both got ours last week. She had a higher fever than normal from her shots but Motrin worked great and she was happy again a day later. I caught H1N1 one year so I don't take a chance any more.
  • Options
    Our LO got hers. I was very concerned about her getting it, but after talking to the pediatrician decided to go ahead. She said it is recommended for babies because the complications from the getting the flu are generally worse than the side effects of the shot. There will always be those few who have a worse reaction, but the chances of that are slim. I've only gotten one flu vaccine in my life (when I was pregnant), and the only time my husband got one he got the flu. Now, I'm not saying he got the flu from the shot. For whatever reason i.e. the antibodies hadn't had time to develop, he got a different strain than was in the shot, etc., he got sick. Anyway...healthy adults can handle the flu better than babies. 
  • Options
    My daughter got her first round a few weeks ago & we go back the 29th to get her second round with big brother getting his flu shot at the same time.  I personally don't get the flu shot, but I don't really get sick either.  I can handle myself getting sick, but I hate seeing my kids sick, and their immune systems are still getting built up, better safe than sorry when it comes to them.  Plus, you never know what these kids at daycare are going to bring in. ;)