Baby Names

Our babygirls name, curious on your opinions/feedback

scar28scar28 member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
I understand that i will get some pretty harsh feedback or just eyerolls about the name my fiance and i have chosen for our babygirl, but we absolutely love it, and i want to share it. I don't want to share it publicly yet with our friends although our family knows so I wanna share with you ladies because Im proud of it and am curious to see the opinions. We are naming our beautiful Baby girl Nirvana Rose W******. Xoxo fellow bumbpies.

Re: Our babygirls name, curious on your opinions/feedback

• What are you thinking for a nn?
  • Vana. Or V
  • Loading the player...
  • emberstoneemberstone member
    edited October 2015
    Umm.. K.
  • How so? For the rest of her life??
  • There are numerous posts on here where people will provide you the links to how names affect a person's ability to get a job or be taken seriously at all. Nevermind the likely teasing she'll deal with and constantly getting strange looks from people when she introduces herself.
  • I don't believe her name will affect her getting a job at all...
  • No. I want opinions, not be told my daughter will be looked as low class or her father and i... Saying you don't like it is an opinion
  • That is unnecessary and over reacting as i sometimes go to doctors who have names that can barely be pronounced. What are you talking about?
  • It is true I love it, i guess because it now involved my daughter and being a first time mother and actually seeing this woman call my daughter and her father and i low class, regardless of somewhat being prepared for the ignorance and mean spirit of others, you cannot be completely prepared for it. As that is my Baby girl and the mama bear in me came out when i saw that.
  • Who said it was after the band. I am not naming her for the band.
  • Lol validation? No absolutely not. Please get overself. Now
  • Have a great day everyone
  • The first thing that comes to mind is the band. I personally would not use it as I associate it with drugs and other negative things. But that is my mind, my thoughts and I do not mean to offend you by that. It is your baby and you have the say so in the name. Another name that has a similar ring to it imo is Minerva. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have seen worse names and this is unique but it is hard to get past the band Nirvana. If u are around the age of 30 other parents will probably think to themselves oh the parents must have liked the band. At least that is what I would think inside of course I wouldn't tell the parents that.

But go with what u feel you and your SO likes and feels would fit in with your names and family dynamic. It will probably just take some people getting used to the name which I had that issue with my second daughters name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not really a fan. Like other posters mentioned, it is a name that carries with it a lot of connotations that may or may not be accurate. Specifically, my first impression was that her parents were fans of the band. My second impression is a kind of peaceful hippie vibe, like you would get with Sunshine or Rainbow as a name. It's also really not my style.

To offset my negative opinions, I want to add that taken completely on its own with no history, it's actually a pretty-sounding name. It sounds plausibly name-like and has a nice cadence. The middle name flows pretty well with it, as best I can tell. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bbiutmcph said:
    It is true I love it, i guess because it now involved my daughter and being a first time mother and actually seeing this woman call my daughter and her father and i low class, regardless of somewhat being prepared for the ignorance and mean spirit of others, you cannot be completely prepared for it. As that is my Baby girl and the mama bear in me came out when i saw that.
    Seriously chill. I never called you that but that it gives that impression just like people say some names sound teen momish. If you can't handle negative comments online good luck in real life. You and more importantly your daughter will hear them.

Dude. I'm not trying to WK but come on now. Your post was mean. You know it too.
  • bbiutmcph said:
    bbiutmcph said:
    It is true I love it, i guess because it now involved my daughter and being a first time mother and actually seeing this woman call my daughter and her father and i low class, regardless of somewhat being prepared for the ignorance and mean spirit of others, you cannot be completely prepared for it. As that is my Baby girl and the mama bear in me came out when i saw that.
    Seriously chill. I never called you that but that it gives that impression just like people say some names sound teen momish. If you can't handle negative comments online good luck in real life. You and more importantly your daughter will hear them.

Dude. I'm not trying to WK but come on now. Your post was mean. You know it too.
    I stand by it. Studies on names come up all the time on here and BMBs. Names give off impressions of teen mom, uneducated, etc all the time. It's not the first time someone will give it as an opinion on a thread and won't be the last. Nirvana isn't giving off positive impressions plain and simple.

Perhaps it's the way you stated it originally. Basically laughing in OP's face over her name choice. I was like "DUUUUDE". It's fine though. I'm not WK'ing. Promise ;)
  • You're probably not going to find any fans of the name Nirvana on this board. Rose is lovely! Good luck with your baby girl!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    I've come to learn that pretty much on this board if you aren't using an "classic" or "old" name you are going to get some harsh comments.
    No.. you missed the definition of good taste here.

I'm actually not really that down on Nirvana, per se. It's kind of in the same neighbourhood as naming your kid Heaven though (or Soundgarden for that matter..) so there's that to keep in mind. People will Say Things. And they will make immediate, albeit likely not unfair, assumptions about her parents. 

But overall, I don't hate it. Might make a better middle name but at least it's not some armpit of a name like Raystlynne.
  • klirwin82 said:
    The refrain of "they're never going to get a job" is pure bunk. Bachelor's degree (term used lightly) from University of Phoenix and little Jamiroquai isn't hired? Let's be honest, it's not because his name is Jamiroquai. When Nirvana graduates from Princeton you can be damn sure she's on the top of my candidate list because with a name like that I figure she has a different perspective to contribute. Nirvana stands out, especially when her resume is in the pile with 5 Ava's and 2 Sophie's and 3 Ellie Graces. Start your 529 plan now and use a name you love.

Don't forget all the Madison's and Mackenzie's.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    scar28 said:
    Do you know the meaning of nirvana? Why would we be assumed to be lower class? Because that is HILARIOUS...as we are far from it and I agree if the names aren't the same names used over and over again like Sophia or ava then it's a negative comment. I believe in having opinions but i think most of these are actually mean spirited. And if anyone laughed at my child when we she introduced herself I think that portrays that person to be completely classless.
    I DO know what the word "Nirvana" means. And trust me, worrying over what other people think of something as attachment-ish as a name isn't really super zen. 

I don't think it falls into the same "We bought our name at WalMart" category as some of these ridiculous  names (like one I mentioned above, or, like, Baycee or something) but look, it IS going to elicit a lot of negativity. 

You are getting a cross section, control group slice of reality here. You did an experiment by polling a subset of typical parents who speak English. You got real-world results. 

This shouldn't stop you from naming her what you want to. I'm naming my kid Olive, for crying out loud. After my great grandmother. which is the only thing that gives it any legitimacy. Reception on the name has been 50/50. Which is just how it has to be. Because that's her name. Is that name a little frivolous outside of the family connection? Absolutely. But it's our daughter :) *shrug* what can i say? That's her name!