May 2016 Moms

Maternity Pants: Full vs. Side Panel

I am a FTM and looking to order some pants online so I'll have them when the time comes (let's be real, all my pants are already tight).

Do any of you have any insight on full vs. side panel pants? I'd love your feedback!

Also, do the pants typically fit true to size? I want to make sure I order the appropriate size (I'm worried about ordering my normal size and having them be too big in some areas - tummy is my typical non-PG problem area and with maternity pants, I would think it would be less of an issue).

Re: Maternity Pants: Full vs. Side Panel

• I like full panel once I have a true baby belly. I tried on my full panel jeans this weekend, and it's just awkward right now. I need support/hiding for my fat rolls until things start expanding due to a baby.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Full panel pants didn't stay up for me until I had a pretty large belly-- though I carried my son very low, so once they did stay up it wasn't long before pants weren't as comfortable as dresses or skirts. I have one pair of jeans that are full panel that I anticipate using in the third trimester, maybe late in the second. 

I like demi-panel pants fairly well-- but some of the panels crunch and twist which is frustrating. Gap's are pretty soft, but retain their shape. I have a few pairs of side panel pants that I picked up for this pregnancy, but I haven't had a lot of luck with them staying up yet. For now, I'm working with smaller-size demi panel pants, and a be-band with regular pants. Most brands will tell you to order your pre-pregnancy size, but some brands also tend to run a bit large in the butt in some pants (I am usually a "curvy fit" gal...so room in the butt in pants was a big surprise for me last pregnancy).
  • Loading the player...
  • I like low panel for earlier on and full panel for later. I've never tried side panel. I don't really like the look of them. Your regular pre-pregnancy size is what you typically purchase.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I'm a full panel girl. My best friend was Demi-panel. Unfortunately, I think it's personal preference. I do agree with previous posters that full panel isn't the best until the bump really pops though!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • I don't plan on buying a ton until I try them on/need them down the road, but I'd like to keep an eye out for sales, etc! No bump yet, but definitely serious tummy bloat! Thanks for your feedback! Sounds like a belly band is best for now and start with a demi panel when the time comes! It's so tricky because I have to move around a lot at work, and I'm worried about my pants falling down in front of my patients! Haha.
  • I'm also for full panel! Try them both and we what you prefer!
  • Personally, I do not like wearing a belly band. I find it uncomfortable to have all that material and zipper stuff squished against my skin. I got one pair of jeans from the Gap with a demi panel and I love them, they're great for the size I'm at right now. Luckily I already had several pairs of work pants with elastic waists that are still comfortable, hoping they will work for me well into the second tri.
  • I haven't tried any on yet but, in anticipation, I googled for advice and found this helpful article with photos and reviews.

https://themomedit.com/2011/09/maternity-jean-rundown-which-styles-are-best-for-you/
  • Me personally, I love the full panel. I have leggings and jeans all in full panel. I've never been pg in the warmer months and I would assume it would be really hot but since last time and this time I will primarily be pg in the colder months I plan to use the full panel again. It erases any muffin top I may (who am I kidding) DO have, gives me extra support, and smooths everything out.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I'm all about the full panel, too! Anything else seems to squeeze and pinch too much. I think it's wise to go for stretchy jeans and go up a size, especially as you get bigger. Good luck!
  • Nothing stayed up for me in my first pregnancy. I haven't tried side panels yet but I thought the full panels were itchy, hot, and annoying. (Pregnant during the heat of the summer mind you.) I ended up like my low panel pants but opted for dresses and stretchy yoga pants most toward the end. I agree with PPs that it's definitely all preference though.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the insight, ladies! Sounds like I'll have to try on some different styles Unfortunately, there aren't many shopping options here, so I will have to order some stuff online and see what works best! I appreciate your feedback. This could get interesting/hilarious!
  • For sizing, I found most to be s/m/l/xl and pretty forgiving. I'm a size 16 pants and fit into 90% of the xl maternity bottoms I tried on.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • For the end of first tri/half of second tri, I like the side or demi panels.  A full panel is a bit much and doesn't always stay up.

At some point, once my bump got fuller and more like a real bump, the side or demi panels got really uncomfortable and the top of the pants would dig into my belly in a weird way.  Then I switched to full panel.

image        image

• With my first pregnancy I couldn't wear the full panel pants, they made me very nauseous. Anything touching my belly firmly made me nauseous. Flowy tops and stretchy waist maternity pants was what I did. For my second one however, I needed the full panel to be comfortable. I was never a fan of the demi panel, but I carry a few extra pounds and the panel it me in an awkward spot and made my belly look lumpy and bumpy rather than cute lol
  • I liked the full panel the most. Sometimes if it started bothering me I'd roll the top down a little. I had one pair of demi that I really didn't like, but it could have just been that particular brand was bad!

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• This is my 3rd rodeo and I loved my full panel pants once I got a real belly but this baby is trying to prove it's in there and I've quickly become really uncomfortable in my pre-pregnancy pants.  I'm 11 weeks today and just bought a pair of Gap Skinnys this weekend with just a low stretchy band.  They are amazing.  I've worn them two days in a row now (no judging).  ;)  I'll definitely be watching for a sale to buy another pair.  They are so soft and comfy and cut to sit under the growing bump. 

This is the pair I got.  They will be good for now and post pregnancy.  https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1014426&vid=1&pid=112685002
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @scbonnell04 I love those pants! I wore mine today too.
  • sjecc09 said:
    Thanks for the insight, ladies! Sounds like I'll have to try on some different styles Unfortunately, there aren't many shopping options here, so I will have to order some stuff online and see what works best! I appreciate your feedback. This could get interesting/hilarious!

I really like Zulily for maternity clothes. They have some awesome sales.

Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• This is my 3rd rodeo and I loved my full panel pants once I got a real belly but this baby is trying to prove it's in there and I've quickly become really uncomfortable in my pre-pregnancy pants.  I'm 11 weeks today and just bought a pair of Gap Skinnys this weekend with just a low stretchy band.  They are amazing.  I've worn them two days in a row now (no judging).  ;)  I'll definitely be watching for a sale to buy another pair.  They are so soft and comfy and cut to sit under the growing bump. 

This is the pair I got.  They will be good for now and post pregnancy.  https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1014426&vid=1&pid=112685002
    Our kids are just about the same ages! :)
  • Right now I have to wear Yoga/stretch pants due to all my bloating.  :-\"

I invested in a pair of Betabrand pants for work (before I was pregnant) and OMG... those pants have been a lifesaver.
  • I saw the Betabrand pants and have contemplated getting a pair! Glad to know they're comfy! Thanks, @sosweet487
  • Anyone have any suggestions for buying tall/long maternity pants? (I'm quite tall and buy all my pants from Banana or Ann Taylor b.c. you can buy a "tall" version online). 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• I prefer under the belly pants. With my first, my belly got so big the last couple months that the full panel wouldn't stretch enough. The pants still fit, but I had to roll the panel down. I'm afraid of the same thing happening with the side panels. The under the belly pants can make you feel like your hoo ha is hanging out, but they fit the whole time for me.
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • vinerie said:

Anyone have any suggestions for buying tall/long maternity pants? (I'm quite tall and buy all my pants from Banana or Ann Taylor b.c. you can buy a "tall" version online). 

Old Navy! I have to get tall/long pants and they have some that are cute and cheap. Look online, I have problems finding them in the store.
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I got a bunch of full panels from Thyme...they're so comfy and stretchy and wonderful! I think all pants should be like that...no muffin top, no waist that opens at the back to show your underwear, and fit amazingly well (I tried about 15 items and bought most of them because I was amazed at our great they fit, plus they had a sale). My blump had been feeling so liberated!
  • sjecc09 said:
    Thanks for the insight, ladies! Sounds like I'll have to try on some different styles Unfortunately, there aren't many shopping options here, so I will have to order some stuff online and see what works best! I appreciate your feedback. This could get interesting/hilarious!

I just bought a ton on Zulily yesterday. A pair of jeans, leggings, 2 camis and a cute top for less than $50.00! I tend to lean more to designer brands, but hell, I cant be spending too much on materiny wear, and really, it was a steal!

cat fail animated GIF

• Have you tried the Gap Skinny Cords too? I'll be traveling in November so I'm trying to pack in my shopping now. I'll be 14-19 months then.

• I haven't but if they "fit" similar to the new ones I bought I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Holy cow. Thank you everyone who recommended OldNavy and Gap Maternity pants!
    I just got two side panel pants from Old Navy and I don't mind sitting while wearing these. Woohoo!

• yogahh said:
    sjecc09 said:

I just bought a ton on Zulily yesterday. A pair of jeans, leggings, 2 camis and a cute top for less than $50.00! I tend to lean more to designer brands, but hell, I cant be spending too much on materiny wear, and really, it was a steal!
    OMG I just dropped $175! lol I bought 5 pairs of maternity pants/leggings, 2 sweaters, 2 pairs of fall/winter boots (I refuse to wear heels while pg but refuse to look frumpy either), and some Christmas presents for DD (they are having a big Disney sale). That site is dangerous haha.

Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• omg @sosweet487 my Betabrand dress pant yoga pants arrived yesterday and they are the besttttt!! They are super comfortable like leggings but look totally work appropro and the waist feels like my demi panel maternity pants (which i really like)! I don't feel frumpy for the first time in a longggg time. I don't know how long they'll last me into the pregnancy but right now they are perfection with room to grow, and I'm sure to wear them postpartum as well. Thank you so much for the rec!!!!!!

• LadySamLady seriously aren't they the BEST?? I am thinking about purchasing a couple more pairs! They are definitely good right now since I definitely got some bloating going on and you're right... will be very handy postpartum.

Glad they worked out! :)