May 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone else work in a school setting?

I was hit hard with nausea today that has knocked me down and out. That's not an option though with my caseload. Any tips on how to last through the first trimester when you work with kids all day long?

Re: Anyone else work in a school setting?

• Options
    I do! I've been trying to stay hydrated and have tried to do a lot of group-work with my students so that I stay busy, but all eyes aren't on me. It's helped me to be able to breathe through nausea waves and then shove it to the back of my mind while I'm busy with students. However, yesterday was particularly bad by the last period of the day (it's hot which makes it worse, and they have a no-food-in-the-classroom policy which means I can't just eat before nausea strikes). I didn't lose it, but I did have a student guess that I'm pregnant! I laughed because I didn't want to lie, but I also don't want the whole school to know at 6 weeks. : /
  • Options
    I sip lemon and ginger infused water throughout the day, chomp ginger chews, and make sure I always have a little something in my tummy (as the school nurse, I always have a supply of un-salted Saltines on hand!). I had HG with my last pregnancy and by this point had already spent a weekend in the hospital for IV fluids due to severe dehydration, so I am all prepared this time!

However, a teacher just walked by with super strong perfume on and I legit dry heaved in front of a student! The poor thing looked absolutely traumatized. 
    :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited September 2015
    So far since I am the beginning stages no real issue, had a huge headache all day on Monday (I think from cutting my 6 a day soda to one a day). Right now I am pretty good at timeing my peeing, I pee when I get here, my second period is planning so pee at the end of it, then lunch pee and then the hard part is lasting at the end of the day through 3 periods without a pee break, but I am doing it. Slight upset stomach, but I just drink water and munch on crackers and it keeps it good. I dread when my symptoms get worse though.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and I keep my desk packed with granola bars and mints. I also sometimes use the kids to help me get rid of smells that might be bothering me- I'll ask them to throw something away or open a window. Also since I start at 730 I can (and do) leave by 330pm.
  • Options
    @joemunson I have become a crazy stickler about my contract! I am constantly checking it to make sure I am not staying too late  :P
    Last year, I would be at the school until 4-5pm, doing paperwork, answering emails, tidying up my office. But this year, the second the clock strikes 3:30pm, I am outta here! Also, I am on a different contract than the teachers so I technically do not have to be at staff meetings or the open house/parent conferences. Last year, I still did all those things, but this year I may skip a few, depending on how I feel. If anyone asks, I can always say "Hey, it's not in my contract..."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I feel ya @kbrands7 . I don't want anyone to know yet but sometimes I feel like they will notice. Especially days like today when I couldn't stomach having lunch with everyone
    :-/

That's my biggest fear @laurenmdrn16! Smells haven't hit me that bad yet but there is a lot of perfume happening here in the morning. Great idea about the ginger chews! I'll have to look into them. This is my first so I'm still learning :-)

I'm the same way @laurenmdrn16 and @joemunson! I try to stay late one or two days but most times I'm out the door the minute I can.

I'm in the beginning phase as well @skiingstark and today was the first time I was hit hard. I couldn't even eat lunch. Now I know to pack extra snacks to nibble on throughout the day.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher too! I would tell the teacher that has their classroom closest to you just in case you have to run out.  Only if you trust her to keep her mouth shut though lol
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyGaga
  • Options
    With my first baby I had a lot of sickness.  The only thing I found helped was sucking on a hard candy all day.  It really did help quite a bit.  I teach, too, so I had to make it through the school day.
  • Options
    I second the sucking on hard candy. With my last pregnancy it would get me through sessions (50 minute counseling sessions) where I wouldn't be able to get up and run to the bathroom.

• Options
    @livelaugh15 I'm lucky to share a room right while I'm feeling so ill. I'm a speech pathologist and I share a classroom with another speech path... But I'm new to the building ( not the district) so I'm not sure I'm ready to share yet but if I need to bolt to the bathroom, I already have someone there :-)

@StephanieNicole30 @Bookhousegirl was it peppermint candy? I found my peppermint gum helped a bit today. However, I can't chomp away on gum during a session. I'll def give hard candy a try as well.

Thank you for all the input and advice everyone!!
  • Options
    @JWiggs824 I always had jolly ranchers. I'm not a big mint candy person in general, but if it worked for you then go for it! They also have preggo pips/candies. I think they're kind of a ripoff though, they basically taste like regular hard candies to me.

• Options
    Hey girls! I am a teacher and am fortunate enough to have a coteacher. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any crazy symptoms yet but using the bathroom frequently. I was having a little scare the past few days and told her just for moral support. I am so glad I did because with such a hectic job, I needed a moment or 2 to get myself in a better mental state. Her support is already tremendous and I know, either way this pregnancy goes, she will continue to support me. Of course, I am lucky to have a VERY trustworthy partner. I haven't even told my bestest friends. 
  • Options
    I am a teacher as well and I'm so nervous that I'll have to leave the classroom or that my kids will figure it out too early. Some other women in the building have told me to just throw up in the garbage can and keep on teaching.... Seriously?? And get middle schoolers to pay attention again? Any advice would be great!
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited September 2015
    @conrkm38 Lol. I haven't done it this pregnancy, but there were a few times with DS that I vomited in a garbage can behind my desk and had to keep teaching. The kids definitely knew I was pregnant before 12 weeks. I've had one student guess it already this time around.
    Edited for tag fail
  • Options
    I'm a 2nd grade teacher. I haven't really had morning sickness until yesterday and it's hit hard. All day/night sickness is a more accurate name. I have an assistant in my room with me and I'm debating if I trust her enough to tell her but if I continue to feel the way I do I'll have to or she'll figure it out herself. I'm hoping I don't have to get sick in the classroom. I can just imagine the dinner conversations when my 7 year olds get home...
  • Options
    I'm a high school teacher.  I'm dreading if I have morning sickness again.  When I was pregnant with my son it was so easy because I was just nauseous, only threw up a couple of times.  When I was pregnant with my daughter though, I threw up everyday for the entire 9 months.  Luckily it was always in the morning before school, but I'm wondering if I'll get that lucky this time around.
    Pg#1- Benjamin born 2/22/10
    Pg#2 BFP 11/2010... chemical pregnancy late 11/2010
    Pg#3 BFP 02/2011...missed m/c 3/2011
    Pg#4 Adalynne born 5/12/12
    Pg#5 BFP 12/2012....chemical pregnancy 1/2012
    Pg#6 BFP 11/14/12....chemical pregnancy 11/2012
    Pg#7 BFP 2/3/14... loss after a heartbeat and D&C 3/2014
    Pg#8 BFP 9/1/15...waiting to see!

• Options
    And you know the entire school would know by the next morning that I was barfing in class....
  • Options
    And the nausea begins...how are you fellow teachers handling it?
  • Options
    I'm a teacher in a tiny school so I told a few staff members who could cover for me if needed. I'm looking ahead to have fewer teacher directed lessons until the second trimester but with 2 classes that's not as feasible. I've brought snacks in so if in suddenly starving I can grab one (or if my lunch grosses me out I have a backup) & drink tons of water from my nalgene. I'm also out the door right at 3:30!
  • Options
    I'm in conference day today with lovely adjusted hours (11-7). This change in schedule is throwing off my eating rhythm that has kept my nausea pretty well at bay. We also don't schedule conferences ahead of time here, so I have rapid-fire 10 minute conferences with parents, then will randomly have a few minutes down time if it happens that I finish with a parent and there isn't someone waiting. It's making it really hard to go to the bathroom needing to be available for 4 hour-straight chunks of time (we got a short break at 2). I'm really missing those quick 2-min trips every 1.5hrs between classes now. Last pregnancy, I was in the second trimester by this time; I don't remember having any trouble with it. Anyone else trudge through conferences or adjusted schedules yet? 
  • Options
    I am a Substitute teacher and I do the after school program too. On the days that I sub I have to stay all day, like a good 9.5 hours. The only way I get through it is by bringing a ton of snacks. Luckily I haven't really felt very nauseous. The only day I felt bad was for sunday school. I had to excuse myself to the bathroom, but luckily there are two other teachers in my class. I am really hoping that I don't get it bad if I have to sub again.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers