Two Under 2

Autism

Has anyone had an evaluation done for your child? Is it as scary as it feels? I'm freaking out

Re: Autism

• I've only done the parent questionnaire at ds 18 month appointment with the pedi and he passed as I expected he would. I worked with kids on the autism spectrum for years so I know what to look for.

By your post I assume your lo didn't pass the questionnaire ? Who are you seeing for the eval? I know it sounds scary buy the eval itself shouldn't be. The evaluator will interact with and observe your child to see if they are showing signs of being on the spectrum and if so where they are.

You will hopefully be referred to Early Intervention or a similar organization which will help you to coordinate services if in fact your lo is found to be on the autism spectrum.

If you have any questions about services feel free to pm me. Good luck!
  • We've done a spectrum evaluation that was almost 10 hours long divided over 3 visits (Family interview, exam by medical doctor, IQ test, testing by speech and occupational therapists, interview with the psychiatrist, and a closing meeting)and while arduous, it's not scary. My son actually had a lot of fun w the different therapists during the various components. They don't push the kids. The initial family interview was kinda grueling, but I was sort of expecting that. It's a LOT of paperwork, but nothing was all that surprising.