Pregnant after 35

Genetic counseling

Instead of just ordering one of the NIPT tests, my OB sent me for a genetic counseling appointment. I went today and although I'm a bit freaked out, I am thankful for the explanations and information I received. I had my blood work drawn afterwards and will now begin the long wait for results. I'm curious as to how many of you had counseling along with your testing. I don't see anyone on my BMB discussing genetic counseling and I see some discrepant info from what I've been told. Is it common to have genetic counseling if you are AMA or is it more of a local/my practice thing?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Genetic counseling

• We had it with my first, but not this time. I assume it is because they have all the info from last time (2 years ago).

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• In order to get the Materni21 test, we wee required to meet with the genetic counselor. Many of my AMA friends have also meet with genetic counselor and then gotten blood drawn. Seems pretty standard here in NC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes we had it too. I got the impression that for my provider it was for anyone doing this type of screening. They offer it free to certain groups including AMA, high risk for specific genetic anomalies.
    I too found it good, glad we went as otherwise I think I would have been worrying even more!
  • They offer genetic testing to everyone who is over 35, because we are considered high risk for the anomalies. For me it was nice to find out, that there were no major anomalies, but the test does not guarantee normal development. I still had to wait till 20week Ultrasound to see how everything is developing
  • Yes i had it too. It was a little overwhelming but also reassuring. Our counselor was great. And the anxiety over the wait was worth the good news! Also if we had gotten "bad" news we would be able to be prepared for our LO needs.
  • We had the first round of genetic testing and counseling two weeks ago. We opted for the test that Shepard the babies DNA from mine and tests all of the chromosomes, so it even tells you the sex at 15 weeks. Everything came back okay, and it's a girl! We really appreciated The counseling. It made us feel better To know our options. Good luck!
  • Same here. I had the Panorama test done. I met with a perinatologist who did a level 2 ultrasound with a tech, then the doctor repeated some of the same views and explained that the markers he was looking for were not there, then I had my blood drawn for the test. I did this on a Wednesday and had the dna results back on Monday.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I actually just left my OB and she suggested I do the CVS test. Does anyone know anything about that? Or has anyone done one? Thanks!
  • Jscott47 said:
    I actually just left my OB and she suggested I do the CVS test. Does anyone know anything about that? Or has anyone done one? Thanks!
    I haven't but I researched it. They go through your cervix to get a sample from the placenta. There is less risk of miscarriage than with amniocentesis, but there is still a very slight risk.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I just had my genetic counseling, then u/s and blood work today. While there was no new info for me because I've been reading a ton, it was still nice to have a professional to talk to.