Baby Names

Help deciding baby girls name.

MelodyagsMelodyags member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
We can't decide on a first name. The last name has 3 syllables and starts with M.

Help deciding baby girls name. 93 votes

Nayeli or Nayely
11% 11 votes
Nova
38% 36 votes
Starla
16% 15 votes
Anadilya
2% 2 votes
Briella
31% 29 votes

Re: Help deciding baby girls name.

• wassuphoeswassuphoes member
    edited October 2015
    **Removed for TOU Violation**
  • Loading the player...
  • ashleyandelyashleyandely member
    edited October 2015
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I couldn't vote. There was no "none of the above" option. Sorry, OP.

Also, are you sure you don't mean Anadelia? Because I sure hope you're not spelling a name the mispronounced way on purpose.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Anadilya or Anadilia is a Spanish name very commonly used in Guatemala where my husband is from and a female family name. I did not intentend it to be Anadelia.Maybe I should have clarified that we are using Spanish names above. All of which except Nova are.
  • there is no history for those names listed on behind the name
  • Of those choices, Briella is the best. But I prefer Brielle over Briella
  • I'm not sure what behind the name is. These are all legitimate names not made up. Anyway Briella is a form of American name Gabrielle. Nayeli(Na Yel E) means I love you and is a Native Indian name used in Central America and Mexico. Anadilya/Anadilia is also a Spanish name meaning independant. Nova is an American/Native American name.
  • oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited October 2015

there is no history for those names listed on behind the name

I found Nova, Starla, and Briella on there. Guatemala wasn't one of the countries listed on behind the name though.
    I love Starla.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • There a little too different for my taste, but I voted Nova. I think it's pretty and wouldn't lead to pronounciation issues, like most of the others.
  • Melodyags said:

I'm not sure what behind the name is. These are all legitimate names not made up. Anyway Briella is a form of American name Gabrielle. Nayeli(Na Yel E) means I love you and is a Native Indian name used in Central America and Mexico. Anadilya/Anadilia is also a Spanish name meaning independant. Nova is an American/Native American name.

Ifyou have Spanish or native heritage that's awesome. I would find using a heavily Spanish or native name very awkward if you are not connected to the culture.
  • Nova, hands down. I think a shorter name is a good idea with a three syllable last name.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @wassuphoes my children are considered half hispanic and they are of Mayan descent. @clairbear90 I see your point about the syllables. Some of them can be a mouth full.
  • Melodyags said:
    Anadilya or Anadilia is a Spanish name very commonly used in Guatemala where my husband is from and a female family name. I did not intentend it to be Anadelia.Maybe I should have clarified that we are using Spanish names above. All of which except Nova are.
    Ah, that clarification helps a lot!!
  • Given the cultural background, I voted Nayeli. That spelling. I think Nayely would be an awkward and confusing Anglicization.
  • Melodyags said:

@wassuphoes my children are considered half hispanic and they are of Mayan descent. @clairbear90 I see your point about the syllables. Some of them can be a mouth full.

I think Nayeli is probably a little easier for Americans over Anadilya. I would puck either Nayeli, Nova, or Gabriella. names with the Brie sound (except for Brianna ironically enough ) are very trendy right now. Gabriella would be a less timestamped name compared to Briella.
  • 1stTimelove1stTimelove member
    edited October 2015
  • Nayeli so long as you spell it this way. We had a little girl with this name in one of the Sunday school classes at church I taught and she was a hoot, so I have great associations with the name :)
    Anniversary 
  • I think I like Nayeli the best (spelled this way).  I like Nova as well, but if you are of Latin descent, you might want to consider what "No Va" means in Spanish and if you think kids would tease her for that name. But otherwise, I like that name as well.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I didn't vote for any. I dont like them.

Nova may be ok but I'm undecided.
  • Nova or Briella
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I voted for Nova, but I do like Starla, Briella, and Nayeli, too. I'm unfamiliar with Anadilya but if it's more common in your area I see no issue with it; it looks pretty :)
    S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • **Removed for TOU Violation**

Uh, thumbs down emojis are considered a violation now? Wtf.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15