C-sections
Options

Wait time

Hello moms! I am a FTM with a lovely 10mo at the moment. My husband and I have discussed having another but I'm very on the fence about it. First, how long should one wait between pregnancies of the first was a c-section. Second, how dangerous is a second one? Third, is vaginal birth possible after a c-section? I don't really know much about this and am just trying to get some info to ease some of my worries. Thanks!

Re: Wait time

• Options
    First, congrats on making it 10 months as a mom!  I have a 3-year old and that first year is a bit of a blur.  I'm currently expecting again (due Oct 24) and we are planning a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean.)  It is definitely possible, although lots of OBs and hospitals are not as supportive as they could be. 

If you are considering a VBAC, I've seen recommendations of at least 18m between births as the safest choice, but I've read lots of birth stories where women had a natural birth within 13-14m of their c-section.  Every woman is different and every pregnancy/birth is different.  It's always a safe bet to ask your doctor about the best choice for you.  Depending on your scar and any complications that you may have had in the healing process, your doctor may have a very different recommendation for you.

Third, the risks of a second c-section vs a VBAC are highly debated.  I would recommend visiting vbacfacts.com.  That site has the best info I've found about making informed decisions for yourself and your baby.  You could also look into your local ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) chapter.  They can help you with any questions you may have about your options.  

I also love the site birthwithoutfearblog.com.  It has wonderfully empowering stories about all kinds of birth.

Good Luck to you on whatever choice you make!  C-section or VBAC, you can do it!   
  • Options
    I had a c-section for my first who is now 25 months.  My hospital actually doesn't allow a vbac option so if I wanted to do that I would have had to go to a different doctor.  To me it wasn't important to try a vbac.  My first had heart rate issues when I was induced very early on.  We had to do IVF to get pregnant and we knew we wanted #2 so my doctor said trying our own within the first year after having #1 was our best chance to get prego without medical help.  He gave us the all clear to start trying 3 months after delivery.  We weren't able to get prego until #1 was 13 months so ours are 21 months a part.  I had another c-section and everything went perfectly fine with that spacing between. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would honestly seek the advice of your doctor. The wait time typically vary. I know my personal OB wanted me to wait 12-18 months before even trying again (I also have a pre existing medical condition). I have a 2.5 year old, we just started TTC #2 more consistently. I have spoken to my doctor if/when I do become pregnant, I will be able to try for a VBAC. He said there are a lot of factors but so far it looks like I would be a good candidate.