March 2016 Moms

Can I ask baby shower host to invite my friends?

(Disclosure: I did search past threads to see if anybody else had asked this question, and I couldn't find anything.)

My MIL is throwing me a baby shower, which is great, but I've just found out it is only for family members. I think there is a limit to how many people my MIL can fit in her home, which I totally understand, but I have about 5 friends who I would really like to invite and celebrate with. I've been invited to their showers and am going to one of their showers in a few weeks, and it would also be nice to have some people at the shower that I actually know. lol Due to my friends' impending pregnancies and the timing of the shower, I don't think three of them would even be able to attend, but I just thought it would be nice to extend an invitation to them. I don't want any of them to be offended at not being invited. I also don't want to be rude to my MIL. Is there a nice way to ask if these five people can be invited? Or should I just try to get them all together for a ladies' tea or something and say, "No presents - just join me in celebrating!" (Because I swear it's not about getting presents. I would just really like my friends to be included in the celebration.) What do you guys think?

Best Answer

Answers

• I think you should post this on the baby shower board.
    I do think the general consensus is that the shower is a gift from your MIL and she has the ultimate say in guests, theme, location etc. You say you understand that there is a limit to how many she can have in her home but by wondering if you can invite extra people, it comes across that you don't care.
    You're lucky enough to be having one, you should be satisfied with that.
    I don't understand why you can't just explain to your friends that it is family only and then go out for a meal with them or something. They can't possibly be offended at that.
    Also, why would you not know anyone at your shower if it is all family?

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the response. I didn't know there was a baby shower thread in March 2016. Didn't come across it. 

It's mainly my husband's family, who I am not very close with. My family is small and lives out of state, so they won't be attending this shower. I'll just be celebrating with them separately.
  • Thanks for the kind response! I think I'll just try to get the girls together for a more intimate celebration and let my MIL do what works for her. Just didn't know if anyone else had ever been in this situation.
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited October 2015
    Sorry I meant that there is an actually board for all things baby shower related and you might get more/quicker answers there. I'll link it in a sec.

ETA https://forums.thebump.com/categories/baby-showers

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anytime I have ever hosted a party I have always asked the guest of honor for a guest list. I feel like it's a little rude and selfish to invite who you think and not ask the actual mom to be. I mean if you are throwing the party truly for her then why in the world would you not want who they want there. There is no special written exact handbook. You should do what is best for you. I would for sure ask if she could accommodate 5 of your close friends I am sure she will be happy to have them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml