Baby Names

Annie or more formal?

tabaudertabauder member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
We're having a girl!! HD and I both LOVE the name Annie but I've heard people say you need a more formal name?

The problem with that is we HATE all the formal names for Annie (Anastasia, Anna, Annabeth, Annabell, Annette...)

Anne is okay but doesn't sound great with the middle name June (family name).

Annie or more formal? 59 votes

Annie June
50% 30 votes
Anne June
22% 13 votes
Neither! (Comment suggestions)
27% 16 votes

Re: Annie or more formal?

• I think Annie is fine. Their is also Anika and it could do Annie for short but like I said before I think Annie is just fine
  • That's tough...I do think Annie needs a more formal name, but I agree that Annie June flows better than Anne June.

Annie is also on our girl list, and I feel the same way about the formal names! We have decided that if we use it, we will use Anna. It's not my favorite, but flows best with the middle name, and I just don't think Annie is enough.

Another alternative is to use something with Anne at the end, like Marianne or Julianne.

But I vote for Anna June. I know you said you don't care for it, but maybe it'a good enough?

• Loading the player...
  • kh1824 said:

Another alternative is to use something with Anne at the end, like Marianne or Julianne.

Arianna, Adrianna
  • Personally, I love Annie :) 
    9.08.12 BFP! | 11.01.12 MMC Discovered at 12 weeks| 11.06.12 D&C 
    11.25.13 BFP#2| 4.07.14 TEAM PINK!!!|EDD 8.8.14 Please be our Rainbow Charlotte Grace <3
    7.01.15 BFP#3| 10.06.15 TEAM BLUE!| EDD 3.02.16
    PgAL/PAL always welcome
    imageimage

• Personally I wouldn't want Annie as a given its seems childish. As an adult I would prefer Anne or something else. My cousin is Anastasia and went by Annie until she graduated hs. She has said on more than one occasion how glad she is Annie isn't her given and has made jokes about glad she doesn't have to introduce herself as Annie at 28.

• I love Annie as a stand-alone name. I personally don't think it needs a formal version. My name is Niki, not Nicole, and I've never felt I need a more formal version. Anne June sounds abrupt to me, Annie June flows much better.
  • Melanie is another formal name with the nn Annie. I think Melanie June is pretty.
  • Didn't think of Melanie.. That's kind of cute!

My one thought is if Anne can have the nn Annie, why can't Annie have the nn Anne when she's older if Annie seams too childish?
  • I love Annie and I think it's ok as a formal name. The oldest Annie I know is in her late 40's and it fits her.
    She could always go by Ann when she's older if she wants.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I also don't care for Annie as a stand alone name. All of the Annie's that I know, are using it as a nickname for something else: Annabelle, Andrea, Annika. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • tabauder said:

Didn't think of Melanie.. That's kind of cute!

My one thought is if Anne can have the nn Annie, why can't Annie have the nn Anne when she's older if Annie seams too childish?

My thought is even if wanting Just Anne as an adult she still legally and on all documents etc it will still be Annie which I personally find too
    childish although others have stated they don't.

• tabauder said:
    Didn't think of Melanie.. That's kind of cute! My one thought is if Anne can have the nn Annie, why can't Annie have the nn Anne when she's older if Annie seams too childish?
    I agree with PP, the full legal name would be Annie so it would be on her license, passport, etc.  She wouldn't have to use Annie on a resume I suppose, but generally people do use their legal name on resumes.  That would be where my biggest concern would be.  But also, depending upon where she works, she might be entered into the system with her legal name, which may be linked to her email, telephone, etc.  Again, not a huge deal, plenty of people go by nicknames.  

I think Annie sounds like a cute 5 year old, but is not such a great name for a 40 year old.  I would pick something more formal.
  • Annalise?
  • IMO She would need a formal name to use as an adult. PPs gave a lot of good suggestions
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • My daughter's name is Annie and I have no regrets - why name someone something you never plan on calling them?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I prefer Anne June NN Annie. 

I personally loved having a formal name to use when I got older.

Love June! That's DH's top name pick and it'll probably be LO's MN if it's a girl.
  • My daughter's name is Annie and I have no regrets - why name someone something you never plan on calling them?

THIS!

I have a name extremely similar to this post, and I'm cracking up at all the comments that it's not an adult name, or that she won't want to use that name as an adult. My parents have used my nickname from birth, and I use my nickname on a resume. I let my skills and experience speak louder than the nickname I use. I wish they'd just named me my nickname, because all the clarifications are a headache.

If you want Annie, name her Annie.

Congrats!!

THIS!

I have a name extremely similar to this post, and I'm cracking up at all the comments that it's not an adult name, or that she won't want to use that name as an adult. My parents have used my nickname from birth, and I use my nickname on a resume. I let my skills and experience speak louder than the nickname I use. I wish they'd just named me my nickname, because all the clarifications are a headache.

If you want Annie, name her Annie.

Congrats!!
    Love this!! Thanks ladies!!
  • My best friend is Brianna nn Annie. She has gone by Annie her entire life and as an adult now still prefers to go by Annie, personally and professionally. It's a great name and definitely works for an adult. Just go with Annie! If she really wanted to, she could easily shorten it to Ann later in life.
  • Anne June
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She needs a full, formal name.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy