November 2015 Moms

Birth Control after baby?

Hi ladies,
Question came up in my house tonight......should I go back on the pill after the baby is born? My husband and I never use any other form of birth control other than the pill, which I was on from age 17-35. We got pregnant on our very first "try" no problem. We really don't want to use condoms and are currently undecided about wether we will be having more than one child. Anybody want to share what they are planning on doing or for STMs, what has been a comfortable solution for you in between pregnancies?

Re: Birth Control after baby?

• Definitely talk with your OB, be careful with the Mirena though, I had it and it had embedded in my uterine wall which I had to have surgery for. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Talk to your OB - I've read that if you're planning on breastfeeding you'll need a low-dose pill that is apparently notorious for not doing its job if you mess up. Due to my lack of desire to have another LO anytime within the next 2 to 3 years and hatred of the pill, I'll be discussing getting an IUD.

All of THIS! I was on the 'mini' pill (low dose) after DD1 because I was nursing and ended up pregnant with DD2 right after she turned 1 which was sooner than we had originally planned. I was not always good at taking it at the same time every day. Seeing as we are now on baby #3 and don't really want another one at the moment, I will be talking about a IUD this time.
  • Tried low dose pill but hate the pill and never take it consistently enough but ended up using condoms mostly.....getting tubal ligation this time around. :) I'm 34, this is my second pregnancy, and never want to be pregnant.....ever....again.
  • If you want to go back on the pill and want to breastfeed, you need to go on the "mini pill", and its only effective if you take it at the exact same time each day.  Which seems like a cruel joke to play on new moms, if you ask me!

I'm not sure when DH and I want to try for #2, but I know he doesn't want a big gap between kids, so probably no more than a year or a year and a half.  I was thinking an IUD but that seems like a short time to have it in, and I like the "reassurance" of having a monthly bleed, and Mirena can get rid of your periods.  The pill messed with my emotions and I'd rather not go back on it if my OB can suggest other options.  I'm going to ask about the ring or the patch, something like that, if they work with breastfeeding or not.

• I'm thinking about Nexplanon, as I've heard very little negative feedback about it.
  • I will go with IUD too.

• I'm going with the copper IUD I think.
  • Thanks ladies! I guess I had been on the pill and had no problems with it for so long that I never really thought about these other options!
  • As much as I don't want to be on any form of birth control the mini pill is probably a good idea ... I really don't want another a baby right now. I'm a FTM and I want to enjoy being a mom to one baby. Plus being married to a man in the military can be a little unpredictable. My husband is talking about moving next summer to Everett, WA. (I currently live near the Kitsap Naval base here in Brememeton, WA).
    Anyway, I really wouldn't be too happy if I found out I was pregnant again before we moved.
  • Both my kids are "pill babies" my dr suggested Mirena as an IUD for me but IUD'S in general make me uncomfortable just thinking about them so I'm looking into as many of them as I can until I find one that I think fits my comfort zone.
  • no more sex, ever

(Will probably have to use condoms for a while and then think of something a bit more long term. Maybe the implant. Will see how my body is after this kiddo, previously I was on the pill and it was perfect but after DS it started to play up for me- headaches, bleeding etc so it's best to see how you are post pregnancy hormones and give everything some time to settle)
  • I was on a high dosage version of the pill with almost (I'm talking like 98%) perfect use when I got pregnant, so... Definitely going to try something different. My midwife seems to think IUD would be best, especially since we plan on waiting until I finish school before even thinking about another baby. Good luck with finding an option for you!
  • *lurking* I was on implanon after my first child and loved it, but disliked the hormonal withdraw when coming off. I decided to go off bc to prepare and clean my body before conceiving and even though that I what I prefer I DO NOT want another child for 3-5 years so I will be going back to nexplanon after this baby. Too many horror stories about the IUD for me to ever consider going on it .
  • Going old school and getting my tubes done.
  • This is my second pregnancy. We have decided we are done after two. I am having a repeat c section so I will be getting my tubes tied. Before we started trying for our second I kept track of my ovulation (we would avoid that week) and used the pull out method all the time. I know it's not very reliable but it worked for us.
  • Thanks ladies! Never heard of this explaining before, might look into that:) I have had one abortion, one miscarriage and abnormal cells laddered off my cervix. Not sure what the horror stories are with IUD but it makes me s bit nervous the thought of a device in there. Scratching the uterus wall etc, anything that could be a complication for later pregnancies.
  • Typo..., never heard of nexplanon
  • urby87 said:
    I'm thinking about Nexplanon, as I've heard very little negative feedback about it.
    I've had it twice already and it's my go to. I'll b getting it again ASAP after the birth!
  • Hormones and I don't get along well. I've been on 5 or 6 different forms of the pill and they always seem to make me really over emotional or lose all interest in sex and life in general . We had been using condoms successfully for years before planning this pregnancy, but they get old. I'm thinking about the copper IUD. I have a bunch of friends with IUD s who really like not having to think about it and haven't had any problems. I'd ask your OB, but I think the horror stories are actually super rare and fixable. Obviously it's awful if you're the one that reacts that way, but you likely won't unless you've had a problem before. If it in all likelihood works, it's about as effective as tubal ligation but you won't need surgery, you only have to think about birth control every 5 or so years, and it's reversible whenever you want another kid.
  • I had the paraguard, similar to Mirena but no hormones in it. You will still have monthly periods, the only downside I had is it can make your periods heavier. Mine are heavy to begin with so I'm not sure it had anything to do with that though...
  • Natural family planning has worked well for us. No link to any kind of cancer and if you were to get pregnant it is safe for baby.
  • Talk to your OB - I've read that if you're planning on breastfeeding you'll need a low-dose pill that is apparently notorious for not doing its job if you mess up. 

This is how I got pregnant this time!

I'm having a tubal ligation at the time of my c-section this time. If I thought there was a chance I'd want another, I;d have gone with one of the IUDs
  • I've talked to my Doctor and I'm getting back on the Nuva Ring. I was on it for 8 years before we stopped to get pregnant and we were able to get pregnant in less than 4 months. My doc has the attitude that if it's not broke, don't fix it. I never had any issues on it and I don't want a second kid for at least 18 months. I'm definitely not looking forward to getting periods again lol. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • *lurking*

Mirena has sucked for me so far but supposedly it gets better. I have been either actively bleeding or spotting for about 2 months now with only a three day break. I've had skin issues similar to those I had while pregnant. They also just found a cyst on my right ovary, likely caused by it, but those are fairly common and will probably go away on its own. I couldn't go back on BCPs because of my blood pressure issues during pregnancy. 

All anecdotal, good luck with whatever you choose.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• I had the copper IUD before getting pregnant so will probably get the Mirena time around. I had the copper for 8 years and never had a single problem. Loved it. Want to try the Mirena in hopes of having no periods, lol. 

• JodyS said:

Typo..., never heard of nexplanon

Nexplanon is the BC that goes in your arm and stays for 3 years. (I had to google it)... I may talk to my doctor about it and other options so DH and I can have a convo about what we want to do. I didn't really have problems with the pill but I can see screwing it up and getting pregnant way sooner than planned.
  • So I didn't see anyone mention it but I can't do regular BC because it sky-rockets my blood pressure so last year I actually got a diaphragm. Pretty old school but it works and it's very easy to use, no real risk involved since it's just a rubber cup that fits over your cervix, used with a spermicide. You just kind of have to prepare anytime you want to have sex. However you can leave it in for 12 hours. Heads up though: getting fitted for one is SUPER awkward. I had three med students shown how to fit someone for one since it's not super common anymore. Having multiple people put the hands up your lady bits is very uncomfortable. Hey wait... That's happening again soon. Yay childbirth...
  • I ♡♡♡♡ an iud. Ive had two and they are phenomenal. Ill get another one after this baby (baby #3).
  • Im debating between nexplanon and iud. In the beginning staged of research. Havent discussed with my doc yet

Reasons: 1. i want a long term solution
    2. My husband and i dont use condoms
    3. I dont trust myself to take the pill at the same time
    4. Thinking of breastfeeding
  • Both times I was on "the pill" I ended up pregnant! The only thing that's ever worked for me was Depo shot, not sure if that works with breastfeeding though.
  • I was on the mini pill while bfing with DD. Once DH and I decided we'd be okay with another baby I went off it. I didn't get my period back until 14 months though and didn't get pregnant until right after that first cycle returned, so 15 months. I'm tempted to extended BF and just naturally family plan after LO is born but I don't want to get pregnant during BFing and be shocked this time around so I'll probably go back on the mini pill to be extra safe.
  • Im pretty simple... No sex until we decide if we are trying again or not. 

If we decide to try again then charting to avoid fertile times but if it happens wont be upset. 

If we decide we are 100 percent done then Im getting my tubes tied

• I am going to be the black sheep here for a minute. I got pregnant this time after having a tubal procedure done, and being on birth control pills. That's right, this baby made it through one permanent  (was supposed to be), and daily birth control. I am a freak of nature yes, but what ever any of you decide, make sure you talk to your OB about failure rates, and timing for permanent procedures. I am having a second and different tubal procedure right after this one is born. I will only have to stay an extra day in the hospital. Believe it or not, the effectiveness of  tubal changes from .06% failure rate if done right after birth to 1.6% if done after 6 weeks. This may not seem like much, but when your are "done" having kids and wind up with a surprise baby , it makes a difference. Whatever you decide, do your homework, talk to your OB. Are we really this far along already!! OMG!!

• I'll be going on the mini pill because of breastfeeding. And I'm all about the pill option just because of the fact that if I have any issues it's super easy to switch pills. I've had a number of friends go the longer term birth control route and dealt with miserable side effects and had to fight their doctors to get them removed. So after seeing that, I feel like I'd rather just go with the pill because I loved it before.
  • savyjohn1 said:

I am going to be the black sheep here for a minute. I got pregnant this time after having a tubal procedure done, and being on birth control pills. That's right, this baby made it through one permanent  (was supposed to be), and daily birth control. I am a freak of nature yes, but what ever any of you decide, make sure you talk to your OB about failure rates, and timing for permanent procedures. I am having a second and different tubal procedure right after this one is born. I will only have to stay an extra day in the hospital. Believe it or not, the effectiveness of  tubal changes from .06% failure rate if done right after birth to 1.6% if done after 6 weeks. This may not seem like much, but when your are "done" having kids and wind up with a surprise baby , it makes a difference. Whatever you decide, do your homework, talk to your OB. Are we really this far along already!! OMG!!

Ob says tubal effectiveness is 1:200. If getting csection, it's another 5 min added to procedure and convenient. If you have a vaginal birth, or are not sure if you are done having babies, the vasectomy is more effective (you can test it) and it's done in an office visit.
  • IUDs have been the recommended thing according to my older married friends with two or three kids. I was on the pill when I got pregnant to begin with so either I forgot to take it (possible) or it just didn't work. This time I'm going for the Depo shot. 

There's an old wives tale that breast feeding means you can't get pregnant but I know a woman who did. Perhaps it is not likely though. 
    Do unto others. 
  • Charismatic69Charismatic69 member
    edited October 2015
    My DD is now 3wks old. As much as I don't want to go on any contraception I will be going back to the implant. I've had it before & had no problems with it.
    DS1 was conceived on the pill so I will definatly not being going on them again.

ETA to say yes @PetitNightingale if done properly breastfeeding can be used as a form of contraception.