April 2016 Moms
Options

Intro & Embarrassed to Announce

Hey Ladies! I just want to introduce myself first. I'm 13 + 5, it's my first pregnancy, and am super excited for it. I'm so glad I stumbled on this community, there seems to be some great advice and discussions going on. 

I'm wondering is anyone else if feeling embarrassed about revealing their pregnancy? I kind of feel like a freak... I get very nervous and sometimes even blush when I think about announcing. We have already told our closest friends and family, but the nervousness is mainly with acquaintances. I dread seeing someone we know casually, because I know my husband will want to tell them. I've also been putting off telling our bible study group that we see every week. I feel selfish because my husband is so excited to tell everyone he sees, and although he's supportive of what I'm feeling, he asked me to try to get over it. I can't think why I'm embarrassed, except I don't typically like attention to be focused on me. Has anyone else gone through this?

Re: Intro & Embarrassed to Announce

• Options
    I'm not really one to enjoy the attention or talk about myself. I'd rather the conversation be focused on someone or something else.
    I can't say I'm embarrassed, but more reluctant because I know as soon as I tell anyone I'm going to want to change the subject - which will probably come across strange.
    Maybe, when you or your husband tell people, don't let it be the first thing you bring up. See if it comes up naturally, like: "oh, mrspumkin do you want a beer?" "no, I can't drink, I'm pregnant." And then talk about it briefly and try to move on??
  • Options
    I feel embarrassed about it too, especially when thinking of telling people I don't know that well (not family). I think it's because it seems like a private matter to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto @littlesocks - I've found the easiest way for me is to casually mention it in a conversation about something else that relates. With coworkers, I've mostly mentioned it in a way that says they'll have to work around not having me there in April in May. When they ask why, I tell them I'll be on maternity leave - they say congrats and we all move on with our lives. DH is dying to tell the world so after I tell my family this week (13+4 today), I'm ordering a shirt for Halloween that has what looks like little handprints pushing out from the inside with some sappy quote. We'll take a photo together, put it on Facebook, and wait for people to figure it out - but only because I don't want to go home at Christmas time looking obviously pregnant and get approached by my entire hometown (900ish people) who need to comment on my KU state. Plus, they won't ask my family about it if they know from me -I'm anticipating my family being very uncomfortable with the whole thing. I don't relish talking about the pregnancy because though I'm excited, I feel like crap and I don't want to whine. Just know that most people, despite being happy for you if you are clearly happy, won't give it another thought after you tell them so you have nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • Options
    I am not embarrassed so much as I just don't really like telling people. I just told my parents yesterday and we are telling H's parents today (in just a few hours!). A few of my really close friends and a handful of co-workers know.

But I just don't feel the need to make a wider announcement. If it was up to me, I would just show up with a baby one day but I know it doesn't work that way :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try casually dropping it into a convo. I'm contemplating doing a FB post after our 1st ultrasound next week, even though I normally don't post such private info…thinking it would help by just putting that info out there so people already know when I run into them. 

I know I'm creating this issue out of nothing, because everybody we have told basically says "Oh Congrats!" & maybe 1 or 2 questions after that…. so no big deal! Just does seem so personal to share. 

• Options
    I don't know how sarcastic you are, but I just though of another way I shared the news that offset the limelight. I'm normally a drinks with dinner kind of person, so people were suspicious right away. Eventually I just said something along the lines of, "You and I both know how hard it would be for me to have a kid with FAS. Pretty sure you can drink alone for 6 more months." Sometimes they wouldn't pick up on it until much later, when it would have bee awkward for them to bring it back up because the conversation had taken a totally different turn. It also let them know that I'm in this pregnancy thing 100%.
  • Options
    @mrspumpkinfields I am in loooove with your bump name!
    I understand you completely, though. I have definitely taken to bringing it up casually in conversation, and sometimes of course the squealing still happens, but I just blush and stay quiet until it's over xD
    I've definitely preferred just letting the husband tell everyone, though. He's bouncing off the walls to tell everyone he meets, especially now that we're in the second trimester. (We've had two mcs in the past, he's started crying when we made it to the second trimester.)
  • Options
    I feel the same way. That's why I'm grateful for FB, so I don't have to do it in person. And my 7 year old loves telling everyone he sees (even total strangers), so I've got the in-person angle taken care of, LOL.

@pinguinageddon The squealing makes me cringe, haha. Like you said, I just wait until it's over. I'm so not a squealer. :P
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Totally, totally 100% the same way as you. We're days away from our next appointment which we decided was the time we'd tell everyone (after we got one final check that everything was ok and we made it safely into the second trimester) and I want to cry and throw up just thinking about it.

I honestly have no good advice, otherwise I wouldn't be in this position, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone!!
  • Options
    I get embarrassed too even though I'm almost 30 and already have a kid.
  • Options
    Embrassment probably comes from the idea that people will think she pregnant! Then Sex. At least that's what my friend said she experienced when trying to tell her mom although she was married for a year and a half.
    With your bible study group just have your hubby wear a sticker that he is expecting month and year. Then all the attention goes to him and congrats to you!
    Fear- false evidence about reality!!!
    Take control
  • Options
    Thank you!! Yes!!! To me it seems like this deeply personal medical issue...maybe because Ive been so sick and had terrible and embarrassing symptoms. While I love the support of my friends and family, it seems a little awkward still. I know it's all me, but I don't know how to fix it. As my stomach starts to get bigger I'm more and more self conscious. Ugh. So really I have no advice just wanted to let you know you're not alone...
    C + N 8.3.13
    Baby due April 6!