• Loading the player...
  • If you must, make it the middle name.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Is there a Rocky Mountain for a sibling?
  • If I had a rating scale out of 10, I would personally rate it a 3. It would be side-eyed, and I agree with pp who mentioned she thinks it's pretentious. You win three points for spelling it correctly and at least it's not made up syllables strung together.
  • I've always liked this name, actually. I considered it for my girl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think name-places always come across as cheesy. Dallas. Orlando. Brooklyn. Cheyenne. They are borderline strippery to me. Although I think aspen is nicer than the aforementioned examples, Its not great.
  • kayway85 said:

I think name-places always come across as cheesy. Dallas. Orlando. Brooklyn. Cheyenne. They are borderline strippery to me. Although I think aspen is nicer than the aforementioned examples, Its not great.

Hm it never occurred to me that Aspen was a place name. I always thought of trees.
  • kayway85 said:

I think name-places always come across as cheesy. Dallas. Orlando. Brooklyn. Cheyenne. They are borderline strippery to me. Although I think aspen is nicer than the aforementioned examples, Its not great.

Hm it never occurred to me that Aspen was a place name. I always thought of trees.
    That's true! I wonder what most people think of first. It probably depends on where you live.
  • magsugar13magsugar13 member
    edited October 2015
    tree and skiing
  • I like it. I thought of the tree too.
  • I don't hate it, but am not a fan of the name starting with "ass" sound
  • Aspen is up there with London, Paris and Bentley. It gives me the impression the parent wants to appear classy and fancy and ends up appearing Klassy.

• Not a fan.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• bbiutmcph said:

Aspen is up there with London, Paris and Bentley. It gives me the impression the parent wants to appear classy and fancy and ends up appearing Klassy.

I agree with this.
  • I had a favorable reaction to Aspen, although I suppose that puts me in the minority! I agree it's a little pretentious but I wouldn't side-eye an Aspen.
  • I LOVE Aspen!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: May '15
    M/C: May '15
    Expecting DS: April '16

• I don't dislike place names, but Aspen the place is so pretentious that I dislike it for a name. I thought of both the tree and the place pretty much at the same time.
  • I love it. I am biased though since it is my middle name.
  • I don't love it, but I don't hate it either - to me it doesn't cry out pretentious location name. I get more of a 'random flannel and hot chocolate around the mountainside fire' vibe, personally. I guess I'm like a 5/10.
  • I like it! It has been on my list previously.
  • I waver between thinking hippie (like Willow) or pricey vacation locations (like Paris or London). I don't mind it as a hippie name, especially with similar siblings, and it's better than most of the place names I've heard lately. I give it a 5/10 - not my favorite but no side-eye.
    Anniversary 
  • seashellz1223seashellz1223 member
    edited October 2015
    This is tough- I've thought about Aspen myself and its pretty, but I can't get over the strong "ass" sound at the front. I'm afraid other kids might call her "ass- pen" or something cruel :/

Me 31 DH 41

TTC #1 since August 2014
    RE August 2015
    Surprise BFP! September 1, 2015
    IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Baby Eden born 5/11/16 <3<3<3

• I think it's awful.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • klirwin82klirwin82 member
    edited October 2015
    I like it. I think of it like a nature, hippie name. Kids will figure out a way to make fun of any name, who cares if it starts with an "ass" sound.

ETA I'd place Aspen in the same group of names as Birch. Not everyone's taste but I like it.
  • we love it but agree with most comments we cant pull the trigger on it. sibling is nolan
  • erinr123 said:

we love it but agree with most comments we cant pull the trigger on it. sibling is nolan

Nolan is great! I have a Nolan and a Giada. Other names I think compliment Nolan

Audra
    Gabriella
    Penelope
    Vivian
    Clara
    Mallory
    Rosalie
    Bianca
    Cora
    Bridget
    Dahlia
    Eliza
    Ingrid
    Flora
    Theresa
    Hannah

• Sounds like a$$pin to me.
    I don't get the appeal.
  • I agree with the PPs about thinking the "ass" sound lends to teasing. I do like the nature name though and think some of these alternatives might be good:

Flora (I think this one complements Nolan wonderfully!)
    Ivy
    Rose
    Cassia
  • I actually think its quite cute. The name Aspen Rose came to mind.

• I think of the tree, and like it as a nature name. Yeah, there is the 'ass' problem, but PP have said true, I think kids could find something to tease about no matter what the name. A friend of mine named her daughter Aspen and I've always thought it was a pretty name
  • I know a little girl named Aspen and it suits her beautifully. I've always associated it with the tree and not the place.
  • Most non-American's will think of the tree, not the place. 

That said, it's not quite my style - but I wouldn't side eye it. 
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    Parents who drive Mercedes and parents who name their kids Mercedes are two entirely different groups of people. 

You might want to chew on that theory because I feel like it applies here.

**Yes I'm aware that before it was a hood ornament, Mercedes was (and remains) a name in its own right. The company was, in fact, named after the founder's daughter, Mercedes. But it has become what it is. The proper name has been ruined by branding. And I'm speaking from that angle.
  • klirwin82 said:
    I like it. I think of it like a nature, hippie name. Kids will figure out a way to make fun of any name, who cares if it starts with an "ass" sound. ETA I'd place Aspen in the same group of names as Birch. Not everyone's taste but I like it.
    So there is also the nature connotation (as opposed to the place name). But I'd choose a nature name that didn't have such a strong connection to a place where rich people go to ski and pay $40 for a latte.