July 2015 Moms
Options

Biting while breastfeeding

DS is 13 weeks and has little white teeth marks and he has all the other symptoms of teething. When I nurse him now it feels like he bites me, which I'm really not a fan of. Any suggestions on how to get him to stop or at least ease the discomfort?

Re: Biting while breastfeeding

• Options
    I don't have advice, but this is what I'm dreading. My SIL said she stopped BF and started pumping once her LO started to get his teeth. Idk what I'll do, so I'm following this.
  • Options
    My pediatrician said to unlatch the baby every time they bite. Eventually they learn that if they bite the feeding stops. It worked for me when the baby was pinching my breast.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh just wait till they have teeth! You don't know the struggle till baby uses their razor sharp teeth as tools for nipple chew toys.
  • Options
    Oh yeah. The clamping down while feeding just started here too. I suspect she's teething. Her brother had a fully erupted tooth at 4 months. With my first I yelled "ahh!" When he bit me and it scared him and after 2-3 times he stopped. Also, stopping the feeding seems to work too. I also read don't play bite your kids (like pretending to "eat them" or biting their super cute baby feet.) But I'm not sure how much my 3 month old understands mocking my behavior. When she starts giving people the finger in traffic I'll be convinced.
  • Options
    I had an LC here today working on some latch issues, and this got brought up. Her suggestion when this happens was to pull the baby to you really tightly so your nipple gags them slightly. She said it gives a negative response without turning them off BFing. No clue how it works in action though!

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    @ChristinaWild

I had an LC here today working on some latch issues, and this got brought up. Her suggestion when this happens was to pull the baby to you really tightly so your nipple gags them slightly. She said it gives a negative response without turning them off BFing. No clue how it works in action though!

I rather pull away when feeding. It just sounds mean to gag him a little.. Maybe I'm too sensitive lol but we'll see if the pulling off when feeding works! :D
  • Options

I had to do crisis intervention training for a previous job and we were taught to "feed" a bite--put pressure towards their mouth--as it causes less damage than pulling away. Kind of goes against instinct, but it sounds like a similar concept. Hopefully none of us have to learn what works in action! : )
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think she meant to full on gag a baby - if so, she might be kind of mean! Lol.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17