Breastfeeding

BF 6 Month Slump?

Hi Guys, 

I just wanted to post about something I am experiencing and ask for any others opinions or to support those also  dealing with this. For the past two weeks or so I've been experiencing a decrease in supply. I pump while I'm at work for DS' daycare bottles and pump once before I go to bed. Where I used to pump at least 4 oz per sessions, I am  now only getting about 2. Even my morning pump which used to be my most productive of the day, At my before bed pump I am lucky to be getting .5 oz. I found this website which called it the 6 month slump and was encouraging but I dont know how reliable the source is, so I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else was experiencing or has experienced this?

Thank you in advance!

Re: BF 6 Month Slump?

• I seem to be having a dry spell too, he's about 5.5 mo. I've always scraped by getting just enough for the next day, I'm on same routine as you, I was getting 5 at my first morning session now it's more like 3. I'm pounding water, Gatorade and eating oatmeal. It's helping a bit. Mothers milk tea upset my stomach :/ no advice here just offering my empathy, I'm in the same slump! Here's to hoping it's a passing problem!
  • I'm in a breastfeeding support group on Facebook and I see a lot of women post about a decrease in supply at 6 months. I wonder if it has to do with the 6 month growth spurt?
  • Loading the player...
  • At 6 months most babies start solid foods so the body produces less milk to make room for the food your baby is now also getting.
  • I definitely think this is a contributing factor. He is eating solids at daycare for snack and usually about an ounce at dinner. 
  • I made the booby bites from pinterst! They are delicious, I replaced chocolate chips with dried blueberries, added some pecans, and upped the brewers yeast and I love them! They are sweet, but not too sweet which was my fear with the choc. I also picked up a herbal supplement from my local health store, they are capsules and they have fenugreek, blessed thistle, goats rue, and a couple of other herbs that I have seen as supply boosting. I like them because the recommendation is once a day which is easy for me to remember and keep up with. I don't know if it's placebo effect or if it the boosters already kicking in but I've pumped three times today and I've gotten 4 ounces each time, which is definitely an improvement over the 2 ounces I was getting!