November 2015 Moms

Wedding Ring "Placeholder"?

13»

Re: Wedding Ring "Placeholder"?

• Loading the player...
  • In my experience, the only people who talk about how much they have aren't all that rich. The wealthy people I know would never do something so crass.

Truth ^
  • Hey, my engagement ring cost my DH £200, my wedding ring cost less than $50 and they mean so much more to me than a flashy £2000 ring. I took them off at about 7 months pregnant, never wore a replacement, and couldn't put them back on until 2 months after giving birth.

So you know, expensive means nothing, cheap jewelry can mean everything!
    Just an old 'bad apple' with no home to call her own,lurking in the shadows :-)
  • I'm sorry I offended everyone on this thread! I'm a stay at home mom (w a nursing degree) and I have an 11 year old and a 2 year old, so I do know what kids need and how much they cost. We buy most clothing gently used and save a ton of money. Also, to gripe at me for not spending on a college fund is comical considering none of you know our situation or if we already have those ducks in a row. From my perspective, I had to pay thousands of dollars to adopt our toddler- so the top of the line baby gear was certainly not top priority with him nor will it be with our daughter. I agree kids need love first and foremost, but seeing how caught up in buying "materialistic" stuff people tend to get is overrated. Back when my parents were babies, they didn't have cribs they slept in a box with a blanket. Babies are happy without a $300 swing- as long as they are loved and their needs are met. I wasn't trying to offend or throw out dollar amounts in a "tacky" way. I was just extremely excited and happy my husband did such a nice thing for me and I thought this was a safe place to share my excitement, but I will just leave this thread and be with my real friends. For the whole 8 months of this pregnancy so far I've seen ppl on these threads attacking each other- bottom line that's messed up and I never thought I would be next! Thanks for being so down to earth and friendly!
  • urby87 said:

cbg1801 said:

I'm sorry I offended everyone on this thread! I'm a stay at home mom (w a nursing degree) and I have an 11 year old and a 2 year old, so I do know what kids need and how much they cost. We buy most clothing gently used and save a ton of money. Also, to gripe at me for not spending on a college fund is comical considering none of you know our situation or if we already have those ducks in a row. From my perspective, I had to pay thousands of dollars to adopt our toddler- so the top of the line baby gear was certainly not top priority with him nor will it be with our daughter. I agree kids need love first and foremost, but seeing how caught up in buying "materialistic" stuff people tend to get is overrated. Back when my parents were babies, they didn't have cribs they slept in a box with a blanket. Babies are happy without a $300 swing- as long as they are loved and their needs are met. I wasn't trying to offend or throw out dollar amounts in a "tacky" way. I was just extremely excited and happy my husband did such a nice thing for me and I thought this was a safe place to share my excitement, but I will just leave this thread and be with my real friends. For the whole 8 months of this pregnancy so far I've seen ppl on these threads attacking each other- bottom line that's messed up and I never thought I would be next! Thanks for being so down to earth and friendly!

Don't brag to your real friends about the cost of your ring either (if you haven't already). They will think it is just as tacky as we do, they just won't say it to your face in an attempt to be polite.

Exactly.  It's not what you said, it's how you said it.  You could have said, 'my husband surprised me with this lovely gift for our anniversary' and left it at that (and probably would have had a couple of people telling you that that was thoughtful of him).  But you just had to tell us how much it cost.  Doesn't matter if it's your real friends or a group of internet strangers, that's tacky.  Full stop.

Unless one of them asks, which is also extremely rude, PP's are right, no ones cares, including "real" friends.
  • I'm wearing my mama's old wedding band. Luckily her fingers are fatter than mine. ;)

My fingers have been swelling for the past few weeks now. I was fortunate enough to have inherited my great grandmothers wedding ring which I typically keep stored in the back of my jewelry box. She appearantly had big knuckles because it fits perfectly! Maybe its the hormones but there is something very sentimental about wearing it during this time.

• Babies need a lot more than you're playing it off, especially their first year old life. I'd rather spoil my children than myself and I wouldn't be flashing around "Look what I got! And it cost THIS much!" if my husband gave me a nice gift. 

But what do I know, I'm just a peasant. 

Oh, hello, Cillian Murphy. I want to lick his face.

Why oh why do I find him so damn attractive???
  • smnewby said:
    Babies need a lot more than you're playing it off, especially their first year old life. I'd rather spoil my children than myself and I wouldn't be flashing around "Look what I got! And it cost THIS much!" if my husband gave me a nice gift. 

But what do I know, I'm just a peasant. 

Oh, hello, Cillian Murphy. I want to lick his face.
    Why oh why do I find him so damn attractive???
    Because he is just perfection! image
  • I had to take my rings off his weekend (with a LOT of struggle) and i feel sooo naked. I didn't even think to get a cheap temporary replacement. Great idea :)
  • Babies don't cost a lot?! Can someone please inform my two year old? I feel like I got the short end of the stick on that one.
    My 14 month old and his freaking grocery bill that costs more than mine could use a heads up, too.
    Those damn Gerber snacks are killing my grocery budget. Listen kid, we need to talk. Your habit of a bag of yogurt melts a day is getting too expensive.
    I wish I could lovetit this a million times. Those damn things are little wallet suckers. I tried one and they are nasty AF. What's wrong with your taste buds, kid???

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• I had every intention of buying one at kohls but never did. Now that I'm already 34 weeks I feel like I may as well just keep going on without one. I don't even notice it's not there anymore.
  • Looks like I'm the only one here who's fingers havnt swollen or really changed.. Then again my ring was a little big so maybe I just havnt noticed it because of that.. But my ring still fits just fine... Guess I'm the odd ball huh?
  • Looks like I'm the only one here who's fingers havnt swollen or really changed.. Then again my ring was a little big so maybe I just havnt noticed it because of that.. But my ring still fits just fine... Guess I'm the odd ball huh?

I'm odd too :)
    My fingers haven't swollen and they didn't last pregnancy either. Just one of those weird symptoms we can't control or predict!
    My feet, however, are a whole different story...
  • Thanks for your input ladies! I ended up ordering one off Amazon and it just arrived yesterday! It is similar to my band and looks halfway decent for being a cheapie ;) I think it will fit my middle finger after pregnancy so I'll get a lot of use out of it. It is nice to have something back on my finger even with less than 4 weeks to go!