July 2015 Moms

Baby carriers

Am I the only one who feels like a total idiot when it comes to baby carriers?! I started with the movie wrap. I watched a you tube video on how to put it on and was so intimidated that I was too afraid to even try it. So I took it back and bought a really cheap preformed one (that looked like a baby bjourn but wasn't) and Lo hated it. So I took that one back and bought a balboa sling. Can't figure that one out either and it should be super simple!!!

Re: Baby carriers

• Moby wrap not movie wrap
  • jmucc421 said:

Am I the only one who feels like a total idiot when it comes to baby carriers?! I started with the movie wrap. I watched a you tube video on how to put it on and was so intimidated that I was too afraid to even try it. So I took it back and bought a really cheap preformed one (that looked like a baby bjourn but wasn't) and Lo hated it. So I took that one back and bought a balboa sling. Can't figure that one out either and it should be super simple!!!

I'm not going to lie I felt intimidated too when I bought the boba wrap. I also returned it and got the Solly Baby Wrap instead. It's the same thing you will say, but it's a lot less fabric than the boba and it's lighter and it brings instruction. Also their customer service is amazing. They told me to take a picture of me wearing him and send it to them so they could tell me what I was doing wrong. Then they sent me a step by step picture instruction and honestly after a few times you get the hang of it. Who knew wraps would be so intimidating lol anyways you'll get the hang of it! Good luck ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • I love my Baby Bjorn. Quick and easy. LO didn't like it at first but she learned to like it. I love how easy it is to get LO in and out. Those wraps I would not have any patience for. Kudos to those of you that use them!
  • I didnt want to deal with the wraps at all. I have an ergo and instead of spending the extra $25 on the infant insert, I rolled up a receiving blanket to make sure his legs were like a frog & he went right to sleep in it!.
  • Love my Baby Bjorn and DD loves it, too.
  • I hated the moby. It always stretched out. My boy slipped down. We were both sweating. I tried a ring sling too and just don't get it. It should be super easy, but I cannot figure that thing out and I'm always afraid he's going to fall right out! I ended up buying a mei tai and I really like it. It's simple to use-tie at the waist crisscross straps in back and tie in front.
  • We have a K'tan and an Ergo. I love the K'tan and I find it very easy to use. It came with step-by-step photo instructions that are really easy to follow. LO loves it, so I usually use that when I'm making a grocery store or Target run. We got the Ergo for more long-term use, since DH and I spend a lot of time outdoors and wanted something a little more durable/secure than the K'tan for that. Also, since the K'tan is sized, it doesn't fit DH, so he needed something for baby wearing. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ergo js awesome use it all the time!!!!!
  • I have a Boba and I think the Bjorn. The Boba takes some practice, but I love it for when it's a bit chilly outside. She stays warm and actually keeps me super warm as well. If I am going to the store though I always just use the Bjorn because it is much easier to get her in and out of there by myself. 
  • I LOVE my ergo!!!  I didn't use it as much with my 2 year old when she was little, but having her and the baby now makes it essential!
  • I have a moby and an ergo. Both of them definitely took some practice but right now I think I like the moby better. I do kind of wish I had a solly because it's the same thing essentially just lighter weight material. @randa923 I noticed it seemed stretched out too but I washed it and tied it a little tighter, plus simply got better at doing it and it's been a lot better. We got the ergo more for my husband to use when wearing her. I don't think he'd have the patience to do the moby, lol
  • Love the ergo. Except my baby can't help but motorboat me right when I put her in. It's not the 360° it's the original. So she can only face me. Sometimes I put a burp cloth in my shirt to help her to not be temped my the boobie buffet.
  • I have an Ergo 360 and a K'Tan. I love them both! They are both super easy to use and comfortable. The K'Tan isn't 100% hands free like the ergo. I keep the K'Tan in my car and the ergo at home so I always have one available. Baby falls asleep sometimes and other times he likes to look around when being carried.
  • I'm using a borrowed Moby and Bjorn. Bought a shiny new Gemini recommended by the lactation consultant, but baby hated it. I agree that the Moby seems to stretch and the Bjorn is easier in and out, but I def use both all the time. My problem is when baby wants to sleep, she wants to be horizontal and neither carrier can accomodate that.
  • I have the boba & I do like it. Although I haven't used it a ton (mainly because it's been too hot here still), but it helps to get it on before going to the store then putting LO in it when we get there.
  • Had a Maya, Bjorn and Boba starting out. Hated the boba and Bjorn, as did my husband. Traded them in at a baby boutique for an ergo, which I like. Still use the Maya but it makes me feel crooked and my two month old is already 14 lbs. Using the ergo until I decide which Tula to buy, which is my favorite. Will keep these three for future babies. Make sure to get the insert for the ergo or it is very uncomfortable for your little chunky one.
  • What's the "easiest" structured carrier, I.e. Bjorn, ergo, etc? We need one for both myself and DH. LO hates the k'tan (and DH hates the idea of it thinking LO isn't completely safe in it).

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I have a Moby, a Mei Tai and a Tula. I love my Tula the most, but in a pinch the Mei Tai will do. I hate my Moby and at almost 14lbs, it probably wouldn't be very comfortable for either me or ds.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Borrowed my sil's bjorn. Although I had to watch a YouTube video and download the directions, I figured it out and Lo seemed to like it..yay!!!
  • I joined a baby wearing Facebook page for my town (most have ones these days) and my particular group has a stash of carriers that they let you try on and figure out what is best for you and how to wear them. If you're confused on which one is best for you I would highly recommend looking to see if you have a group nearby. - I have a ktan and a ergo, I bought the ktan before trying it... I wanted to be a wrap mama but didn't want all the steps of the other wraps. The ktan worked, but I find that my ergo is just the fastest to get on and baby loves it.
  • Agreed. The moby is super intimating and you worry a lot before you get the hang of it. I tried baby bjorn and my baby HATES it.... However, today we tried a new hold (the hug hold) on the moby and my babes was obsessed with it. I actually was able to keep him in for about forty minutes. I was really hoping he would make a turn around ESP for trips to the farm this month and just walking around the house. YouTube the holds and keep practicing. Honestly, I would do the folded method- very easy to see where to put baby.
  • I have a Beco Gemini. It's easy for me to use by myself and it offers great support. Baby usually fusses for the first few minutes that she's in it, then settles down. I would recommend the Gemini.

I attended a local Babywearing International event and tried wearing LO in a wrap. It felt more comfortable to wear LO that way, but I could never get her on myself!! I like the that there is no weight limit to the wrap.
  • I used the solly wrap for the first 3 months. I watched the YouTube video about 20 times, had my husband helped me a lot and put her in it using a mirror until I felt comfortable doing it by myself or out in public. Now that she's older I've been using the ergo and love it!
  • jerseygirl227jerseygirl227 member
    edited October 2015
    keri0426 said:
    I love my Baby Bjorn. Quick and easy. LO didn't like it at first but she learned to like it. I love how easy it is to get LO in and out. Those wraps I would not have any patience for. Kudos to those of you that use them!
    I, too, have a Baby Bjorn.  Chloe didn't like it at first, but now we have no problem.  

We have also used the K'tan with good success.  I really want an Ergo, but we'll have to wait on that for a bit.
  • Lo and I love the boba. It took some practice to get it right but it takes no time to put it on now. DH won't use it though cause its too "girly looking". whatever. He just carries her in his arms and when he complains he doesn't have any hands free I just shrug. I might get a more structured carrier that is less "girly" eventually.
  • @katesmama0706 I agree about the Boba!
  • I have an Ergo I really like. I also have a Bjorn but I've been using it a lot less since hearing there is some concern about hip dysplasia.
  • I have a moby that I love. I'm going to get a soft structured carrier too. Thinking about getting the moby comfort or the moby aria.