January 2016 Moms

Drinking while pregnant rant (long)

2»

Re: Drinking while pregnant rant (long)

• I don't judge anyone who chooses to drink (very lightly) during pregnancy, or anyone who chooses to abstain, but I think there should be some clarification re: the assertions in the original post.  Everything I've read about the study of children of women who drank moderately during pregnancy says that they did not have a higher IQ and less aggression *because of the alcohol.*  It was thought to be because those women who drank had a greater level of education, wealth, etc., not because the alcohol was like a prenatal vitamin or something.

That said, I could care less whether people have the odd drink while pregnant, but I agree that the guidelines are in place to keep things safe for the general population, including people who may not have the same definition of moderation as is actually safe.

• edited September 2015
    Should site your sources for that OP

Edit: to make clear i was asking op
  • Loading the player...
  • Cheers!

I don't think OP was judging as much as she was just venting. I too get annoyed by all of the crap I'm told to do/not do by people who are definitely not experts, ESPECIALLY when it comes to having the occasional glass of wine, so I understand where she's coming from.
    BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• satindawl83satindawl83 member
    edited September 2015
    Lljbean said:

korinod said:

Im not trying to be rude at all by saying this, but if giving up alcohol for a short period of time is this much of an issue for you, you maywant to ask yourself if you have a problem with alcohol.

Thanks for bringing it all back around to prove the OP's point. 

___

Lmao!

• I have never been able to have just one glass of wine. Soo I didn't think pregnancy was a great time to retry something I've failed at on many occasions. I will get confused in my lady brains and drink the whole bottle....oh and I'm American.
  • edited September 2015
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • @andreachristine81 absolutely 100% agree with you!!
  • Just FYI, Im in Australia and the guidelines aren't as you've stated above (though I think they have been adjusted in the past 5 or 10 years). They are now "not drinking is the safest option as there is no known 'safe' level" ie not enough/conclusive research
  • @mg137 & @enkb I feel we are kindred spirits. Amen sisters! Thank you for encouraging others to THINK for themselves and make their OWN decisions without judgement for/from others! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited September 2015

Ugh. Ladies, come to your own personal conclusions after reading medical studies.

During my pregnancy, I have abstained from drinking with the exception of taking a sip of my husbands cocktail while we are dining out. This weekend I went out with several couples to our local restaurant/bar. I did the usual of taking a sip of my husband's drink to get a taste. My girlfriend ripped the drink away from me. She and our other friend continued to berated me.

My husband is a Dr. who has also done research on drinking while pregnant. I have also read several articles. While I originally thought I may have a glass of wine a week, I found myself staying away from alcohol completely with the exception of a monthly sip (saving for a new house means staying in a lot).

I was absolutely ticked by my friends reaction. First, I am an adult and am able to make my own decisions. Second, taking a sip to coat my tongue will do NOTHING at all to our baby. Third, how dare you assume that I am not knowledgeable about my health and my babies health.

I after that rant I just want to say, do your own research, find your own conclusions and stop judging others. It's really not that difficult.

If a friend of mine ripped a drink out of my hands because I was tasting something? That would be the end of our friendship. How disrespectful and ignorant. They wouldn't have a chance to continue to berate me about it because I don't need some ignorant parent figure in my life. That's not a friend. Holy crap.

Eta I don't drink while pregnant. However I have tasted my husband's beer and cocktails. Probably the same as you, just a taste, not a drink.
  • There's so much conflicting information that it's hard to know what to believe. Even here on TB, I've seen it said a glass of wine is okay but then another blog entry saying no amount of alcohol is safe. I like to drink, but I am far from an alcoholic. I've had sips of other people's drinks and this past weekend I had about 1.5 ounces of Moscato. This is an area where moderation is key and you have to decide what is best for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ohhhhh I miss me some wine ;) but that being said I have done my research, I've got my doctors suggestions, I've got family suggestions, and most importantly it wasn't just a me me me choice. My SO has an equal say in what I do for baby, because he had an equal part in making baby, and will have an equal part in raising baby. He'd never ban me from doing anything but when I make decisions such as this one I ask his stance (luckily we tend to have the same opinions on most things :D). All of this coming together and I've decided I don't want to drink during my pregnancy. I know that the occasional drink wouldn't be the end of the world, but in my mind it's not something I super miss anyway so what ever.

That being said, my little one will be super chill. Though that's mostly because when I can have my glass of wine back I'll be chill and, in my opinion, a chill mom = a chill little one. 

Be chill Moms, be chill and do what you do :)
  • edited October 2015
    Well thought id put out the thought of if wine is poison (yes technically it is) then what about other stuff - surely that's just as bad or worse? Eg aspartame (most diet & non-diet drinks in the UK contain it & it HAS been noted as a neurotoxin & carcinogenic. So I think what I'm trying to say is we all know the effects of wine/alcohol on a fetus as it's widely reported & we are given a "safe level" even if some choose not to believe it (I respect their decisions) but I don't feel guilty having the odd sip here and there but I DO NOT indulge in anything with sweetener in - which is actually proven as far far worse even in moderation! Just a thought ladies that's all :)
  • interesting....I'm following to see what other people say about this as I'm totally undecided... 
  • kaila1980 said:

interesting....I'm following to see what other people say about this as I'm totally undecided... 

You could just read the whole thread from start to finish.