1st Trimester

Cruise during 1st tri?

Has anyone gone on a cruise during your 1st trimester? What was your experience? Was morning sickness worse? Dr ok with you going? Thanks in advance!

Re: Cruise during 1st tri?

• i haven't been on a cruise during my 1st tri, but i cant see why your doctor would say no.
    i dont think it would make your actual morning sickness worse, however you may experience motion sickness which will add to your nausea. i ended up spending a whole day in bed on the cruise i went on because of this. however, it was a cruise through Alaska during the winter so we were experiencing some prettt severe storms. you may not have a problem with this.
  • I would be worried about the motion sickness...it can't be good for the morning sickness you already have. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no way...I'm only 4 weeks and by 6p I feel like I'm on a bad boat ride. I guess it depends on how you feel!
  • I'm leaving for a cruise tomorrow at 8 w6d. My doctor had no problem with it. She did write me a prescription for Zofran in case the combination of MS and seasickness gets to me.
  • Up until 5.5 weeks, I would've been fine. From 5.5-8 would've sucked. I feel like I'd be OK now. I'm constantly nauseated, but that is mostly food-related and not aggravated by motion. Bringing Zofran would be helpful though.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• sorarosesorarose member
    edited October 2015
    This is something that DH and I have discussed a lot. In my last pregnancy, I was sick for most of it, and I can't imagine being on a ship to exacerbate it. On our last cruise, we had particularly rough seas and to me, that's unconscionable pregnant. Also, I tend to worry and the idea of buffets and norovirus on a ship freaks me out.

With that said, if you really want to go, talk to your doctor about it; if s/he gives the green light and you're comfortable with it, bon voyage!

ETA: We already have a cruise booked with Baby #2 (and it looks like we will make the 6 month rule), so consider planning a family trip!

• Ugh, I was horribly sick from 6 weeks till 12. Actually, I puked this morning- midway through my 14th week because something in the garbage smelled a little off.

The idea of going on a cruise in the past few months is not appealing to me. I would have spent the entire time sick.

That said, my sister never once got sick in her 2 pregnancies. So it all depends.
  • I would be barfing everywhere.  Haha.  Even riding in a car and reading off a computer screen too long aggravates my nausea, so that makes work a blast.    
  • I would be fine, but I have never had motion sickness issue. I am the person who has had read while in a small boat deep sea fishing and no issue, while my husband is puking off the side even though he took medicince.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Talk to your doctor and go with what s/he and you think is best. You and your doctor will know what you can handle/if it's okay to go. 
  • I have done it. It was awesome. I got to sleep/rest the entire time, enjoy the ocean, and eat all the rich carby foods I could fathom.
  • Thanks, everyone!
  • I went on a 5 day cruise when I was 8-9 weeks. I always have morning sickness without vomiting, and I typically feel seasick (pregnant or not) the 1st day of the cruise and then I find my sea legs.
    It was great for me! I still had the same nausea, but my husband told our room steward about my morning sickness, and he would leave a tray of saltines and orange juice outside our door in the mornings, which always makes me feel better. I kept saying I'd like to spend my entire pregnancy on a cruise :)
    I think it really depends on the severity of your morning sickness and fatigue. If you can't get out of bed and can't keep anything down it may not be a good idea.
  • we are going on a cruise during my second trimester 
  • Just got back from a week in the Caribbean!! Was 10-11 weeks during the cruise. Felt fantastic. (Weeks 4-8 were bad for me though). Glad it subsided before our vacation. Bring sea bands!!