Preemies

My story + NICU

I recently gave birth to my mono-di girls at 34 weeks due to pPROM. I pPROMed at 29 w 9 days and had a scheduled C-section at 8AM the day I turned 34 weeks...well we got a huge surprise when our girls decided to go head down and I went into labor at 12:30AM! Immediately after birth I had postpartum pre-eclampsia. They put me on magnesium sulfate for a couple days and I was told I would be closely monitored 24 hours after being took off of the medication. 48 hours after giving birth I was took off of the medication and discharged before even stepping foot out of my bed. The nurse I had didn't even offer to help me to the shower so my boyfriend had to help me shower and get dressed. I could barely walk at discharge but rushed to the NICU to see my babies I hadn't saw since birth. Baby A (Natalie) weighed 3 lbs 8 oz and Baby B (Aleigha) weighed 4 lbs 8 oz. Aleigha was put on oxygen the first 24 hours of life due to fluid in her lungs which was why she was a pound bigger than Natalie. They have both been in the NICU for 10 days today. They were eating wonderfully until recently so back on feeding tubes for the both of them, but we still bottle feed and just tube feed what they don't take orally. Aleigha is 4.8 lbs and is supposed to be taking 45ccs; she is in an incubator set to 30.5. Natalie is 3.13 lbs and is supposed to be taking 33ccs; she is in an incubator set to 30.6. I was in and out of the ER with high blood pressure from the pre-e since they discharged me so early and it took about a week to regulate my BP after going to two different ERs. I've been in the hospital for 6 weeks now due to 4 weeks of hospital bed rest and being with the babies in the NICU (we have a room we are allowed to stay in with the babies.) I am curious to see how long everyones twins were in the NICU, they told us about 2 weeks which would be Oct. 4th, but the feeding set back has gotten me upset and I just feel like emotionally I can't hang on any longer in the hospital, although I want my babies to be completely ready to come home. It is hard having a baby in the NICU and I would like to reach out to the community.

Thank you for your time :)

Re: My story + NICU

• I didn't have twins, but my son was also born at 34 weeks. He was perfectly healthy, and his only issue was his size. I developed pre-e around 30 weeks, and was hospitalized until I gave birth, so I feel you on that! It's scary, and boring all at once! My little guy was in the NICU for 25 days, and that was only because he was only 2 lbs 13 ozs at birth! Once he hit 4 lbs they let him out!
  • I didn't have twins but my nearly 34 weeker is 2 weeks today and still there. I feel like it's at least going to be another week. We too had great feeding first couple days then a setback and are now on the uptrend again. She was 4 lbs 9oz at birth and almost back up to that. She has to take 42cc's. She takes about half orally and then feeding tube for rest each time. It's frustrating bc she won't be able to come home until she eats 100 percent orally.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't have twins but my nearly 34 weeker is 2 weeks today and still there. I feel like it's at least going to be another week. We too had great feeding first couple days then a setback and are now on the uptrend again. She was 4 lbs 9oz at birth and almost back up to that. She has to take 42cc's. She takes about half orally and then feeding tube for rest each time. It's frustrating bc she won't be able to come home until she eats 100 percent orally.

This is exactly what one of my girls does! The other just eats wonderfully when she's up for it but sometimes she just doesn't eat at all and wants to sleep. We are going go try different nipples, positions, ect today and see how it goes.
  • I had twins at 34w 1d due to pre-e. They were in the NICU for 19 & 25 days. My littler one actually came home first because she was a little fighter & a better eater. They were both on oxygen at home for another month (we live in high elevation). They are 5 mo now and I am happy to report that our NICU days seem like a distant memory. Hang in there mama! You got this!
  • I didn't have twins, but my little girl was born at 34 weeks and weighed 4lbs 4oz. I was in the hospital for 4 days due to high blood pressure. She spent 7 full days and came home on the 8th day. She had a feeding tube but they only used it a few times and she pulled it out so they just left it out and she ate perfectly after that. It was almost like she was telling then I don't need this anymore. She was only given oxygen once as soon as she was born to open her lungs better. She was a little fighter and we were very blessed. I hope your little ones get to come home soon.
  • I feel your pain. Although I do not have twins my little guy was born at 35 weeks. He was 6lbs 9oz at birth. We are still in the nicu because of feeding. They keep changing how much he needs to take to go home and it's really frustrating. I know it's frustrating to be in the nicu and all you want to do is scream and it seems like sometimes the only thing you can do is cry. Hang in there and realize this won't last forever. I have to tell myself that daily.
  • I feel your pain. Although I do not have twins my little guy was born at 35 weeks. He was 6lbs 9oz at birth. We are still in the nicu because of feeding. They keep changing how much he needs to take to go home and it's really frustrating. I know it's frustrating to be in the nicu and all you want to do is scream and it seems like sometimes the only thing you can do is cry. Hang in there and realize this won't last forever. I have to tell myself that daily.

We are still there for feeding too. It's been 2 and a half weeks. Maybe this will be the week. My peanut has been eating about 75 percent of the amount they want her to take by mouth (up from 40 percent last week) so let's hope we can get to 100 very soon! Then they will take out tube and let go after a couple days. Seems some places are more strict than others. She is now 4lb 13 oz.
  • We're on day 53 in the NICU. It's no fun, but you'll get through it. I just have the one kiddo, but he's had quite a few set backs. He was a 32 weeker. Not there for feeding, as he LOVES to eat and has gained 4 pounds since birth, but it took a little while to get him to that point.

All I can say is you can and will do just fine. It seems like it never ends, but one day it will click and you'll get to go home.
  • We have been home for a week tomo! Spent 20 days there.
  • Mine was born at 34 weeks due to pre e and stayed in NICU for 17 days to feed and grow. They kept saying they tell everyone to expect to stay til the due date. But it's like one day a light switches and suddenly they can eat well and gain weight. So keep hope and enjoy the sleep at night as much as possible.
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • My LO was born at 27 weeks 2 lbs 11 oz and in the nicu for over 85 days. He had to take 100% by bottle before he could go home but he had other plans. His nicu team was amazing and explained to us that he would thrive at home and that light switch would go off soon enough. We were sent home with the feeding tube and a visiting nurse who has been wonderful. In the end he pulled the feeding tube out 4 days after he got home, and the now the 10lb 5 oz little guy won't stop eating. Being in the nicu, you will have set backs and achivements, take one day at a time and know that there is an end. Once your LO's are home it really will seem like a distant memory. Keep you head up, and focus on getting yourself 100%, your babies are in the best place possible.