Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby doesn't like to make eye contact?

My baby is almost 9 weeks old and he doesn't like to make eye contact when held. When we change him he looks at us and "talks" and smiles. However, when I or anyone else holds him, he does look at our faces or make eye contact. Is this normal? I brought it up to the ped but she said she wasn't concerned but I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this. I'm still freaking out internally because I read that this could be an early sign of autism. Any advice would be much appreciated! TIA!

Re: Baby doesn't like to make eye contact?

• I really wouldn't worry much at 9 weeks. The talking & smiling is a great sign!
  • Just realized it said he does look at our face and makes eye contact. He doesn't.
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Loading the player...
  • He does when you're changing him though? My LO is usually looking around the room and checking things out more than making eye contact with me. She will do it, but is usually too nosey lol. I wouldn't worry too much. If he does it when not being held and is babbling and smiling those are all good signs. Keep in mind their eyesight is getting better everyday so it's all new to them each day almost bc they can see better
  • Nine weeks is still very early. I wouldn't worry. Their eyesight is still developing. Try holding your face close to his and see if it makes any difference. If not I still wouldn't worry yourself sick about it. Autism is usually marked by a sudden regression in a previously "normal" child. The official diagnosis can't be made until at least 5 however so you have many years of stress & worrying ( just kidding!). Try to relax, I'm sure everything is fine
  • Thanks for the replies! I'm a FTM so everything scares me lol
  • We all worry wether it's your first or your fourth. Good luck & congrats on the little one!
  • gemini2005gemini2005 member
    edited October 2015
    I wouldn't be concerned especially since he's still very young. I remember being worried about my DS at that age because he never made eye contact with me while nursing. Well, it turned out he was just too interested in everything around him to pay me any attention. My DD was the same way- they are still very curious little creatures at 2 & 4! Edit: I just re-read your post....that is completely normal for young babies to not look at you while you are holding them. I remember old posts on here about this exact thing and apparently it is common.
  • Thanks for replying! I'm gonna try my best not to worry too much about it right now. I think I just made myself a little crazy reading about early signs of autism on Google lol
  • laura8310 said:
    Thanks for replying! I'm gonna try my best not to worry too much about it right now. I think I just made myself a little crazy reading about early signs of autism on Google lol
    I have learned as a FTM to stop googling, lol!

My LO has just really started making eye contact and tracking things about two weeks ago, at 11 weeks.  I actually teach children with autism, so I am always looking for any little sign.  I admit I was slightly concerned at nine weeks because she was pretty much doing what your LO is doing now.  But now she is a little social butterfly.

It's great that your aware of the signs since early intervention is so important with things, but don't drive yourself crazy.  And stop googling, lol. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have actually read that this happens because babies get overwhelmed with emotion when they see a face they recognize. They often look away or look behind somebody to avoid becoming overstimulated.
  • That makes me feel a ton better! And I know, Google drives me insane..I have a headache? Then I have a brain tumor or something according to google. Glad your LO is doing great!