3rd Trimester
Options

Shortness of Breath/ Can't Sleep

Hi everyone! I'm 30 weeks and experiencing severe shortness of breath and chest congestion. It gets so hard to breathe that I have to sleep sitting up to feel some sort of relief at night.

When I ask about this, I'm told that it's normal during pregnancy since the baby starts to get bigger and has less space.

Please help! Do you struggle with shortness of breath or have difficulty breathing? Does it feel like your baby is weighing down on your chest ?

Best,
Sleepless mom to be :(

Re: Shortness of Breath/ Can't Sleep

• Options

It's completely normal in the third trimester. Have you tried sleeping on the recliner/on the couch? 
  • Options
    I do have this but it helps me to lie down on my left side, sitting up makes it way worse. I assume because I am stretched out and my lungs have more space. It sucks and is one of my least favorite things about pregnancy so far.  It makes me feel really panicky.  Taking my bra off helps too.  Sorry you are dealing with this, it really is crappy.
    YCSWU 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are spot on! I've been sleeping on the couch for the last week! My mom has a really comfy recliner at her house and that's the only way for me to get good sleep. I'll keep sleeping in those places. Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • Options
    It makes me feel panicky too! Quite scary! I thought I would suffocate in my sleep. At least I know that I'm not alone in this. Guess I'll have to deal with it for a while. Thanks ladies! :)
  • Options
    I have the same symptom. It makes me nervous if I'll have shortness of breath during labor. :(
  • Options
    kabnpauj said:
    I have the same symptom. It makes me nervous if I'll have shortness of breath during labor. :(
    You shouldn't.  Most of the time by the last week or so baby is moved down and the shortness of breath will get better as the lungs have more room. 
    YCSWU 

• Options
    I deal with this too and have been dealing with crashing bp, faintness and shortness of breath since trimester 2. When i have a spell, i lie on my left side in the recovery position and try to relax. It really helps me. Try that and see if it helps a little. If you google recovery position, it will show you exactly how you should be lying - on your left side.