3rd Trimester

hospital preparation

hi ladies
im 27 weeks nearing the final 3rd tri-mester
im still to get my hospital preparation list for what i need to carry there for delivery. wanted some help in preparing in advance. i know it differs with hospitals thats ok..
what is the stuff they usually ask you to bring for you and baby?

Re: hospital preparation

• Ask the hospital that you are delivering at. Just like you mentioned above... They all differ :)
  • Loading the player...
  • The hospital will give you a list of all the basics but one thing I was glad my sister told me to bring was snacks! You don't realize that there will be a LOT of just sitting there, especially at first, plus those extra calories will help get you through when it's time to push. Also bring something to read or something to keep you busy if you don't like reading. Best wishes!
  • I'd just call and ask what they provide and go from there.
  • How long will you stay after the birth? I stayed at the birth centre for 3 nights. I'd bought myself some really nice bodywash, moisturiser and lipgloss. It was a real treat to have some nice things to use when I got up in the morning to shower, and just to help myself feel fresh and re-charged.

But beyond that, yeah check with your hospital.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• The hospital will give you a list of all the basics but one thing I was glad my sister told me to bring was snacks! You don't realize that there will be a LOT of just sitting there, especially at first, plus those extra calories will help get you through when it's time to push. Also bring something to read or something to keep you busy if you don't like reading. Best wishes!

The snack thing before labor is not something you're suppose to do. I know that once you're checked in you're not allowed food. Ice chips, yes. The no food is attributed to if there are complications and you're taken into surgery you can't have food in your stomach (just like with any other surgery). This was the rule with all of my previous births and all of the women in my family that have birthed.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • I brought my lo's a swaddle sleep sack, going home outfit, hat and of course the carseat. For myself i brought 3 pairs of undies, 3 changes of comfy clothes, and my own toiletries. I also packed a bag for dh with snacks, docking station, extra clothes, and some dvds. Also dont forget change and cash for extra snacks and parking. I also had my dh bring his own pillow. Hospital pillows are awful!
  • I packed WAY more than I needed.  Here are the things that I felt I truly needed to have, looking back:

-Going home clothes for me (otherwise I just used the hospital gown and the provided mesh undies)

-Going home clothes and swaddle blanket for LO (she spent the rest of the time there in just a diaper and hospital provided swaddle blanket, but on the way home we put her in a onesie and covered her with a blanket in the carseat)

-Toiletries so you can shower (hospital provided basics, but I preferred to have my own stuff)

-Extra clothes and toiletries for DH if he will be staying there with you (the shirt he arrived in got some cord blood on it...that we didn't notice until like 24 hours later.  yikes).

-Boppy or other nursing/feeding pillow, assuming you have one (and I strongly suggest getting one)

-If you are planning to breastfeed: nipple cream and gel pads (I'd advise starting to use nipple cream once a day a few weeks before your due date and after every time you nurse even before it starts to hurt - the gel pads were also nice for longer stretches - once you're home you can keep them in the fridge and then apply them for some relief)

-camera if you're not happy with the one on your phone

-ipad or e-reader, mp3 player and speakers if you want music

-chargers for cell phone, camera, e-reader/ipad, etc

-carseat

-pump, if you're going to breastfeed and if the hospital has lactation consultants on staff (they showed me how to use it while I was there, though I didn't actually use it until I got home).

-snacks if you want anything specific...or you can always send DH or your visitors out to grab you stuff while you're there.  if you have a water bottle you're attached to, maybe bring that - all I did was chug water the whole time I was in the hospital

I brought magazines that I never opened and SEVERAL sets of clothing for myself and LO that we didn't wear.  With the clothing, I would make two general suggestions: first, for you, bring one outfit assuming you'll have a vaginal delivery and one in case you need a C-section.  If you have to get an emergency C, you're probably not going to want a waistband - a loose t-shirt dress would probably be best.  I wound up wearing sweatpants and a nursing tank top home (I didn't do the whole fancy pictures thing).  For LO, bring one outfit in each of a couple of sizes because you don't really know what size you'll need - we brought preemie and newborn because DH was a VERY small full term baby (under 6lbs), but LO wound up average size so newborn worked.  Similarly, a friend just had a 10-pounder who went directly to 3-month size.  So you may want to be prepared for that.

I also brought the body pillow I had been sleeping with while pregnant but it stayed in the car.  I seriously hung out in bed with LO and the Boppy pillow for a vast majority of our time at the hospital though...that Boppy was a great investment for me.  She would sleep on me all snuggled up in it when she refused to accept sleeping in the provided bassinet.  I was so tired I could have slept on a pile of rocks, so I didn't need any special pillows or blankets for myself.  DH probably would have preferred the ones from home to the hospital provided ones for him though.

• @BostonTerrior2008 lol that's exactly what I was thinking. If you're calm and collected enough to want to sit around and snack then you may have gotten to the hospital too soon. Like you said, going contraction to contraction and then getting ready to push, food was not even something on my mind. When it's all over, that's a whole different story haha.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • My hospital suggests eating when you first go into labor before or on the way to the hospital. They do not allow food once you are there in case of an emergency surgery. Snacks are still a good idea for your husband and after delivery.
  • colsen4 said:

My hospital suggests eating when you first go into labor before or on the way to the hospital. They do not allow food once you are there in case of an emergency surgery. Snacks are still a good idea for your husband and after delivery.

This is what I did. Contractions were 6 minutes apart at 1030am, so we waited until 130pm to head to the hospital (4 minutes apart at that point) and I ate a HUGE lunch first. Good thing too bc LO wasn't born until 1155pm and I didn't get a meal delivered until after 1am.
  • I just don't understand how women labor for 20+ hours without eating. FTM here and L&D sound crazy to me. But I guess women do it all the time...
  • You never no how long ur labor and will last even in active labor my first was 4 hours second was under 3. I don't think it matters how long your in labor for everyone is starving afterwards.... May packing list is
    Chapstick
    Hair ties
    Cloths for me and little ones
    Car seat
    Baby book... the nurse's can do the foot prints for u
    Warm socks
    Hoodie
    Some cash for emergency
  • When we took the hospital tour they answered a lot of this. I would recommend doing that at your hospital. See if they have a fridge/freezer in your room, for AFTER delivery snacks or things for your partner. My hospital did not give me a list but just suggested things like PJ's or a robe of your own, bathroom supplies and they even mentioned I could bring a Scentsy/Glade etc wall plug in to put my own scent in the room. They made sure to mention that besides the babies going home outfit and swaddle blankets that much wasn't needed for her. Hope this helps!
  • thankyou soo much ladies for the info