Baby Names
Options

Naming twins

DH and I already have a little girl: Lily Marie

We are having identical twins but don't know the sex yet. We've picked our boy names: William Richard & Thomas James but we're struggling more with girl names.

These are our front runners:
Ellie Faye
Sophie May

But we also like:
Ari (is this a boys name?)
Emily (seems too close to Lily)
Emma
Claire
Skylar
Layla

Some of the picks I love but DH doesn't and some of the picks DH loves but I don't.

Thoughts?

(For girls, I like how Lily, Ellie and Sophie all have the "ee" sound at the end. I think it would bother me if only 2/3 had that "ee" sound. I also like how they all are 2 syllable first names. I think I have issues.)

Re: Naming twins

• Options
    Claire and Emily
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would do Sophia instead of Sophie. 

I don't like Ellie, it's way too close to Lily and sounds super country paired with Faye compared to your other names. 

I think Sophia May and Claire Faye would be a nice combination.
  • Options
    Yes, Ari is absolutely a boy name. It could be a NN for Ariel maybe but I went to a Jewish school and we had a bunch of Ari's, all male.
  • Options
    Love the boys names! Would go with Emma and Claire because they are nice names that aren't too matchy with your sibset.

Congrats!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Congrats on your twins! I have identical boys.

I think Ellie is very close to Lily and might get confusing. From your list I like Claire and Sophie, but I would probably go with Sophia and use Sophie as a nn. It personally wouldn't bother me to have 2/3 end with the "ee" sound. I think having all 3 end with the "ee" sound might be a bit much, truthfully. My twins have very different names, but sometimes what comes out of my mouth is a mashed up hodgepodge of both names. I can imagine if their names had similar sounds it would be even worse!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think you have great options for first names. As far as Ari goes. Maybe Arielle or Arianna with Ari as a nn.

My only thing i dont love is Faye and May. I dont have any issue with the names, but something about one having an e and one not is bothering me in like an OCD kinda way. I just think i personally would like it better with Fay and May or Fae and May. But i do believe the way you spelled them is proper, so if thats the requirement then i understand why you would choose those spellings.
  • Options
    I would do Sophia and something more formal in place of Ellie (Elise, Eleanor, Elliana) and use Ellie and Sophie as nicknames. I think both of these names go well with Lily.
  • Options
    If you like Ari, which is a boys name IMO, what about Aire for a girl? I have a friend with this name and I love it (pronounced air-y)

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I'm completely changing my mind on our front runners. I love Emily and Claire. So it would be Lily, Emily & Claire. But do you think Lily and Emily are too close?

And then I still have that weird hangup about two of them having names that ends with the "ee" sound and one not.
  • Options
    I'm completely changing my mind on our front runners. I love Emily and Claire. So it would be Lily, Emily & Claire. But do you think Lily and Emily are too close? And then I still have that weird hangup about two of them having names that ends with the "ee" sound and one not.
    Perhaps you should avoid any names that end in that "ee" sound then.
  • Options

I'm completely changing my mind on our front runners. I love Emily and Claire. So it would be Lily, Emily & Claire. But do you think Lily and Emily are too close? And then I still have that weird hangup about two of them having names that ends with the "ee" sound and one not.

What about not having either name have the "ee" sound?  You could use Emmeline, Emma or Emilia and Claire.  But honestly, I think Lily, Emily and Claire are cute together.
  • Options
    littlesockslittlesocks member
    edited October 2015

I'm completely changing my mind on our front runners. I love Emily and Claire. So it would be Lily, Emily & Claire. But do you think Lily and Emily are too close?

And then I still have that weird hangup about two of them having names that ends with the "ee" sound and one not.

What about not having either name have the "ee" sound?  You could use Emmeline, Emma or Emilia and Claire.  But honestly, I think Lily, Emily and Claire are cute together.

----------------------------------------------------
    And you don't think Emily and Lily are too close?

What about Lily, Claire & Faye? That eliminates the "ee" issue.
    Does anyone hate/like those? Or is Lily, Claire and Emily better?

Edit: no quote box
  • Options
    Lily and Emily aren't ridiculously close, but I still like Emma better and think Lily, Emma, and Claire really work well together. I don't like Faye at all as a fn.

What about Elise instead of Ellie? Lily, Elise, and Claire are nice together.
  • Options
    I can see why people would think that Lily and Emily are similar, but when I say them out loud it doesn't bother me.  Emily has 3 syllables and Lily has 2 and they start with different sounds.  But all that really matters is what you and your DH think since you will have to be using the names.

Agree with PP, Elise is also a lovely name and goes with your sib set.  
  • Options
    I would actually pick Claire and Layla. Ellie and Sophie are just very cutesy and I don't think age very well. Lily, Claire, and Layla sound pretty together. The double L names provide a matchy-matchy feel I think you like without all the -ee sounds. And for the record I do think Lily and Emily are a little too close.
  • Options
    I know an Ari whose full name is Arianna. Lily and Emily are too close. I dislike Skylar (nms) and Layla is just eh. I like you other names though.
  • Options
    Emma and Claire sounds great together.
  • Options
    Emily and Lily are too close FOR ME, personally, but I wouldn't think twice about those names if I heard them in a sibset. They might prove to be tongue twisters for you and your husband, though.

Lily, Claire and Faye are great! I also love the suggestion of Elise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker