Naps vs night — The Bump
October 2014 Moms

Naps vs night

hello! Just a quick question! My babe has always been a good self settler ... For naps and gone start of the night! She goes to bed totally awake and falls asleep on her own 90% of the time... But when she wakes in the night it's another story! She will cry and scream and throw up for hours if I let her!? I thought the idea of putting them down awake and letting them learn to self soothe helped with the night waking a also!? Am I wrong? She is almost 1 year. Anyone in the same boat!? Advice?! Crying it out is not an option as she goes 2-3hours and then no one in the house gets sleep, and she can self settle so why not in the night?

Re: Naps vs night

• Drowsy but awake is crap IMO. It doesn't do anything except put pressure on parents and then leads to disappointment when it doesn't deliver the results people are expecting.

Does she need a MOTN feeding? What do you do when she wakes in the night? Pick her up? Is the room dark enough? Does she have white noise going?

It's perfectly normal for naps and night time sleeping to be totally different. One could be good while the other not so good. BUT you can do some troubleshooting for those MOTN crying sessions to try and figure out what the problem is.

• Also, my almost one year old is teething super bad right now and that wakes her up a lot in the night.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey!! Thanks for your reply! Ummm she is underweight and so I still (with doc support) need to and don't mind doing 1 middle of the night feeding and she will usually eat a lot at this feed (6-8oz). Depends sometimes I go and run her back and she will resettle, sometimes I will rock her, sometimes nothing works and she's just up... We have tried co sleeping and that doesn't work for any of us... She tosses and turns and rolls and kicks and cries... It's nuts. But like I mentioned in the middle of the night, the CIO thing resulted in hours of upset and vomit and stress so I guess I just wonder if she will outgrow this and just get it or what to do... She also has been waking super early lately and just wanting to be up. She is starting to walk and she just got a tooth but, her sleep has always been brutal!
  • Someone told me that once your baby learns something new like rolling over, sitting up, standing up, walking they have a hard time sleeping. I'm in the same boat though! My just turned 12 month son wakes up in the middle of the night but after a bottle and diaper change, goes back to sleep. I would LOVE to get rid of that night time feeding! Good luck! You are not alone!
  • Hey!! Thanks for your reply! Ummm she is underweight and so I still (with doc support) need to and don't mind doing 1 middle of the night feeding and she will usually eat a lot at this feed (6-8oz). Depends sometimes I go and run her back and she will resettle, sometimes I will rock her, sometimes nothing works and she's just up... We have tried co sleeping and that doesn't work for any of us... She tosses and turns and rolls and kicks and cries... It's nuts. But like I mentioned in the middle of the night, the CIO thing resulted in hours of upset and vomit and stress so I guess I just wonder if she will outgrow this and just get it or what to do... She also has been waking super early lately and just wanting to be up. She is starting to walk and she just got a tooth but, her sleep has always been brutal!

Oh definitely keep feeding then. I bet you this is a phase that will pass before you know it. Sucks though.
  • Thanks! I gave her an extra dose of Tylenol last night as she seemed particularity uncomfortable and it seemed to help her settle after an hour! So maybe a combination of teething and developmental (walking).