November 2015 Moms

circumcision

Due in 4-5 weeks... cant make up my mind about whether to circumcise or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: circumcision

• I considered not doing it... Until I realized that he won't thank me later for not doing it. It's a super minor procedure and won't bother him much at all. I'd say do it... But either way it won't affect him in any way long term. It's just a cosmetic or religious preference
  • Loading the player...
  • Every BMB has at least 3 posts, one of which has got pages of responses and been closed down on this subject. If you search, you will have all the info you need.
  • Im in the medical field and have had discussions about this, ive read all the pros and cons i can find online and in med references. I always figured i would, then i did some research and changed my mind. I guess i just wish i could hear from people who didnt do it, and how their kids felt about it later and if they decided to do it as adults. Its a big decision to make for my sons penis, as it is not on my body, so i kind of feel like i dont want to be resented later by him bc i chose not too, but then i kind of feel like we should just do it bc its a norm in this country and he wont be the "different" guy. My main concern is pain when they do it and how studies are showing its a bad experience for babies and i know its totally religious and cosmetic, i know its not considered a necessary operation. I also know how to talk about this maturely with an open mind so if anyone feels they can also discus with an open mind, let me know. My SO wants him circ if I do, its basically up to me.
  • Just trying to make an informed decision based on real life experiences, not something on a information web site. Nobody will be making my decision for me, just helping me to make my own decision.
  • I didn't circumcis my oldest when he was born when he truned 5 it ended up being medical the four skin was too tight causing him problems with peeling so he had to get it done it was lot more involved at 5 wish I had just did it from the beginning
  • I told my DH to decide because he's the one that has a penis.
    My obgyn will be doing the procedure and we trust her completely.
    Ask your obgyn.
  • ksolve87 said:

Im in the medical field and have had discussions about this, ive read all the pros and cons i can find online and in med references. I always figured i would, then i did some research and changed my mind. I guess i just wish i could hear from people who didnt do it, and how their kids felt about it later and if they decided to do it as adults. Its a big decision to make for my sons penis, as it is not on my body, so i kind of feel like i dont want to be resented later by him bc i chose not too, but then i kind of feel like we should just do it bc its a norm in this country and he wont be the "different" guy. My main concern is pain when they do it and how studies are showing its a bad experience for babies and i know its totally religious and cosmetic, i know its not considered a necessary operation. I also know how to talk about this maturely with an open mind so if anyone feels they can also discus with an open mind, let me know. My SO wants him circ if I do, its basically up to me.

In my family, men don't get it done. I am from South America. As far as I know, they have not had any issues. My mom was explaining to my DH and I how to proper clean it if we decide not to do it. My DH has decided he wants to do it. My husband's grandpa had to had the procedure done recently due to medical reasons. He's in his 80's.
  • We're getting our little man done.
    We have to travel because no one locally does it anymore.
    Hopefully when he's about 4 weeks old.
  • Honestly I don't see why it can turn into a "hot discussion." I believe every parent has the right to care for their child the way they believe is best and by what fits it their own realm of "normal" in their own family dynamic/traditions. If you want it done-more power to you. If you refuse-more power to you! That being said, my husband and I will be getting our son circumcised and its not because of any religious reasons or crazy medical beliefs, it is because my husband is and would like to "lead by example" if you will. So when it comes time to potty train, my son wont look at him and wonder why his doesn't look the same. A very close friend of mine couldn't stand the thought of putting her first son through that kind of pain and opted out of the procedure for him and her second son. She said "it just seems so unnecessary to me, all you have to do is teach them how to clean it properly, no harm- no foul. Her sister ended up having a boy and decided to circumcise him and my friend said "if I would have known how simple the procedure was, and how quickly he got over the pain and how fast it healed, I would have absolutely gotten both of them circumcised!"
    So good luck with your decision! and either way its 100% YOUR choice as parents and you should not listen to/consider anyone else's negative comments :)
  • ksolve87 said:

Im in the medical field and have had discussions about this, ive read all the pros and cons i can find online and in med references. I always figured i would, then i did some research and changed my mind. I guess i just wish i could hear from people who didnt do it, and how their kids felt about it later and if they decided to do it as adults. Its a big decision to make for my sons penis, as it is not on my body, so i kind of feel like i dont want to be resented later by him bc i chose not too, but then i kind of feel like we should just do it bc its a norm in this country and he wont be the "different" guy. My main concern is pain when they do it and how studies are showing its a bad experience for babies and i know its totally religious and cosmetic, i know its not considered a necessary operation. I also know how to talk about this maturely with an open mind so if anyone feels they can also discus with an open mind, let me know. My SO wants him circ if I do, its basically up to me.

My husband is not circumcised, we will not be circumcising our LO if we have a boy.

In terms of your son resenting you later, my husband has no resentments towards his mother for not circumcising him. He didn't have a hard time growing up, never was teased, didn't feel different, or had any infections. He's happy to be the way that he is.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • I didn't circumcis my oldest when he was born when he truned 5 it ended up being medical the four skin was too tight causing him problems with peeling so he had to get it done it was lot more involved at 5 wish I had just did it from the beginning

Huh?
  • We had a discussion with our pediatrician and chose not to have our son circumcised based on the info available at that time. We are not religious and DH made the final call on it (he is circ-ed).

We knew that if he had urethra issues it would need to be done as part of the corrective procedure and were obviously okay with that. Our main concern was a higher likelihood of yeast infections, which was not an issue for us although he's gotten yeast diaper rashes he's never gotten a yeast infection in his urethra. DH said he was concerned about the after care of things and that's why he ultimately decided against.

Each parent needs to decide for themselves as it's a highly personal decision.
  • To those asking about the pain - my sept baby was circumcised in the hospital. I'm told he did not cry during the procedure, and when he came back to me, he pretty much slept the rest of the day! It healed quickly, and I never had an indication from DS that he was in any pain.

Newborns deal with pain by sleeping, probably easiest for everyone. DS was circumcised and slept the day after also.
    No right or wrong choice. DH felt strongly he should be cut, but I really could of gone either way (I see pros and cons on each side). My only stipulation was that if anything was wrong with DS we were not doing it because I did not want another thing for his tiny body to deal with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • To those asking about the pain - my sept baby was circumcised in the hospital. I'm told he did not cry during the procedure, and when he came back to me, he pretty much slept the rest of the day! It healed quickly, and I never had an indication from DS that he was in any pain.
    Newborns deal with pain by sleeping, probably easiest for everyone. DS was circumcised and slept the day after also. No right or wrong choice. DH felt strongly he should be cut, but I really could of gone either way (I see pros and cons on each side). My only stipulation was that if anything was wrong with DS we were not doing it because I did not want another thing for his tiny body to deal with.

Well, he is certainly NOT dealing with his gas pains by sleeping now, that's for sure, so I'm not sure I buy into that one. :)

Huh?
    My son had to get circumcised at 5 because the four skins around his penis didn't starch around the head of his penis like it should have as he got bigger. It made it hard for him too pee and caused tearing on the skin around the head of his penis. (The four skin) so he had to get circumcised at 5. (Medically necessary) because he was so much older it was an actually surgery where he had to be put under. And the healing processes took almost 4 weeks. He never had any issues with uti or keeping it clean it just happened. I didn't know that was even a possible to happen from not being circumcised. If I had I would have done it at birth. It's hard to explain to a five year old why his whiney looks different after 5years.
  • And high five, we made it through without any animosity on this post!!
  • Woah, chill out! You most certainly didn't inconvenience anyone. Just letting you know that there are many threads on this topic where you can find more information and feedback than you received here. If I remember correctly, one had over a hundred comments.
  • I post one of these months back. My advice would be if you are kinda for it don't YouTube it. Apparently he'll never remember it which is true, I guess. I decided to go with father knows best and he's not so my critter will not be. If he wants to get it when older he will have my blessings.
  • In addition my my best friend just got her 10 yr old and 6 year old circumsized for hygienic reasons. I assume it'll suck more at an older age because the will remember
  • Please research this. There are absolutely no medical reasons for this procedure. I find it odd that this country finds this to be the norm for boys but we do not consider sexual mutilation for girls. Please educate yourself and dont make your decision simply based on a norm. Btw, we have more issues with STDs than countries that do not push for this so called "norm."
  • So over everyone saying "search", if you dont want to comment or read the post, then dont! Lol, we are all getting cranky at 7 + mos. knocked up, i guess.
    We weren't sure what to do either. I read what i could find in legit books (AAP, book from dr office, etc) and they dont tell you what to choose. So i asked a pediatrician and my OB. Pediatrician says either is fine, but typically it makes sense to do the same as the dad. OB suggested that even if you want to breast feed, allow for a pacifier during the circ procedure (only) so that it is less stressful for babe. Thats exactly what we're doing.
  • gkfk said:

So over everyone saying "search", if you dont want to comment or read the post, then dont! Lol, we are all getting cranky at 7 + mos. knocked up, i guess.
    We weren't sure what to do either. I read what i could find in legit books (AAP, book from dr office, etc) and they dont tell you what to choose. So i asked a pediatrician and my OB. Pediatrician says either is fine, but typically it makes sense to do the same as the dad. OB suggested that even if you want to breast feed, allow for a pacifier during the circ procedure (only) so that it is less stressful for babe. Thats exactly what we're doing.

If the poster does a search they will find thousands of responses. Why is that a bad thing? N
  • I agree with PPs, none of whom were rude or insensitive to your question. As someone who had made sound, logical, and slightly funny (imho) comments on previous posts about the topic, I really had no desire to re post. Same would have gone for topics on pelvic pain, showers, and belly bands, as well as a little hot button number stirred up by a flag. I felt like my job with those posts was done, and by the number of responses on this thread, I'd say many feel the same.