August 2015 Moms

This "lactation" room is dreary!

BrooklynnCEBrooklynnCE member
edited September 2015 in August 2015 Moms
So I just started back to work and will be pumping at work 3 times a day (one being my lunch break) I work in a lab and unfortunately I don't have an office I can pump in. There is one other mom who pumps but, lucky for her, she has an office. The room they put me in to pump is awful! One old office chair, what seems to be a futon, and a little table. I'm on day 2 of pumping and being back to work and was considering asking the HR manager for a few accommodations. Such as a shelf or cabinet to put extra things I'll need rather than lug them back and forth with me every day but I'm nervous. Has anyone else went through this before? Any advice?

Re: This "lactation" room is dreary!

• Lurking from October... I believe the ONLY thing they legally need to provide is a "private place". I'm a teacher and had to pump behind a screen in the nurses office where my high school students could hear.
    If you have a good relationship, ask. However, if you really need something, just bring it yourself.
    Some people get really snippy about nursing moms ("I wish I could take a break every few hours") so, depending on your work environment, you might expect some resentment. I personally wouldn't ask for anything extra. Good luck!
  • I'm grateful that we have a room available for this that is conveniently close my working area.  Honestly I feel my boss has been very generous with what she has arranged.  It is literally a converted janitor's closet.  It has a decent office chair in it and a table.  The last room we had available for this was located on a different floor and was utilized by several mothers and employees that needed supplies located in the room.  I'm in NY and by law they have to provide a room that is available when it is needed, the room must not be a bathroom, and the room must be free from interruption from other employees.  I don't know if you are planning on going to HR to see that you are being accommodated fairly but it sounds as if you have a room that meets these standards.  I would be grateful for what I have but if you want more, I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.
    Married 9/23/11
    BFP #1   9/7/14 MC confirmed 9/17/14
    BFP #2  11/20/14   EDD 8/4/15
    Baby girl born 7/22/15
    BFP #3 5/6/17  EDD 1/19/18
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/54d2f7

• Loading the player...
  • I'm pumping behind a shelf with boxes surrounding me to hide myself. People are constantly walking through the room, thankfully mostly women. As long as I can keep my supply going it's worth it!
  • I think you should go ahead and ask for a mini fridge and a storage cabinet in there. Why not ask? Inquire into what you need to do to put in an asset requisition, you might need approval from your boss. However things work there. If you can provide a document with the item(s) you want and cost, that should help get the ball rolling. Places I've worked will spend $300 on a stupid painting to put on a wall outside the bathroom for aesthetics. Just ask.
  • IMO, your employer has given you enough. Why not bring in the items that you need yourself?
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • @cosplaymom Exactly. At my work they spend $900 plus on lab chairs developed by NASA. I'm so grateful I'm given the ability and a private room to pump but was just considering asking for a small shelf or something to store my stuff since I'm the only one who uses the room anyway. Thanks for the advice ladies!
  • PixelPosyPixelPosy member
    edited September 2015
    I don't think it hurts to ask. I personally wouldn't store anything in a shared room.

I work for a very large company and my accommodations for my first baby were a walled off section of the bathroom with two shower stalls with privacy curtains. Inside each stall was a hard plastic chair and a small table. That was it. Was awful pumping to the sound of flushing toilets and other lovely bathroom noises.

I am in a different facility this time, a much more posh building, but the mother's rooms are still pretty lack luster. They converted phone closets and all that's in there is a built in desk with chair, a phone and a paper towel dispenser on the wall. They are at least sound proof.
  • At least you have a lactation room. With my first, I used our conference room, my supervisors office when she was away, the storage closet but usually my car. Not looking forward to that again!
  • buckleyk said:

At least you have a lactation room. With my first, I used our conference room, my supervisors office when she was away, the storage closet but usually my car. Not looking forward to that again!

Are you in the U.S.? If so, companies are now required to provide you with a private space to pump.

OP, the company has met their legal obligation. I guess it depends on your history with them as to whether or not I would ask for more. Also, how big is the company and how likely is it that other moms will be using it in the future? If it will probably be used by several other employees your request might be taken well. If it's probably going to be just you, then I would just bring in those things myself.
  • Thanks for the advice ladies. Just to clear it up, I would never ask my job to provide me with things I'll need to pump (ie. Breast milk bags, breast pads etc) I only thought it would be nice to have a cabinet or something to bring my stuff from home and store in said cabinet but I'll probably just keep packing it in my pump bag and bringing it with me daily
  • The lactation room originally provided for me was a folding chair in the handicap stall in the bathroom. When I told them legally they had to provide me with a non bathroom to pump, they offered a storage room...that doesn't lock.
  • @Carrieyoutsey23, my sister had to pump in a non-locking room as well. She bought a cheap doorstop and used that on the inside while she was pumping. Just an idea!
  • Doesn't hurt to ask! It may not be an inconvenience to your company at all. Of course be prepared to hear that it may not be possible, but it's not a rediculous request by any means. I swear if men could have babies and breastfeed pumping rooms would be comfortable and have tv's...