Baby Names

Biblical/Hebrew Names

To make the time go by, I've been trying to think of good Biblical/Hebrew names for a future DS or DD. I'm not into common names (Matthew, Joshua, Daniel, Sarah, etc.) or names that are really popular right now that I love and won't use because of it (Asher, Noah). Would love to hear less common names that fall into this category, but you wouldn't side-eye. 

Re: Biblical/Hebrew Names

• Hezekiah
    Ishmael
    Ezra
    Jedidiah
    Amos
    Abel
    Gabriel
    Abraham

Leah
    Miriam
    Rachel
    Naomi
    Eve
    Mary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Judah
    Amos
    Ariel
    Barnabas
    Boaz
    Darius
    Gideon
    Ira
    Joel
    Malachi
    Mordecai
    Nicodemus
    Saul
    Seth
    Silas
    Solomon
    Thaddeus
    Tobias
    Zaccheaus
    Zachariah
    Zebulon

Candace
    Claudia
    Damaris
    Esther
    Leah
    Lois
    Mara
    Moriah
    Naomi
    Phoebe
    Priscilla
    Rachel
    Tamar
    Tabitha

• Loading the player...
  • Some of those are really nice. Some of those three-syllable names like Hezekiah or Mordecai are odd to me.
  • Judah is actually one of my favorite names, but DH side-eyes it whenever I bring it up. To give you a sense of my style, I've considered both Solomon and Eve as MNs. I like Gabriel and Ezra, but it's turning into an Asher and Noah. I actually love a lot of these names (not Hezekiah or Mordecai), and unfortunately several family members already have these names (Naomi, Rachel, Leah). These are really helpful, thx!

• I met a group of five children, all siblings, that were named after places - not people- in the bible. Some of them I liked and weren't off the wall. (A couple were a little strange) but it's kind of an interesting take if you're looking into it, might be worth considering. The two I remember are Canaan (m) and Moriah (f)
  • Jacom
    Haakon
    Sariah
  • Ezekiel is biblical, my nephews name.
    My husbands name is Neftali. It's hebrew/biblical but I think it's spelled ph.
  • If we have a son, he'll be Aaron. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• MamaWren919MamaWren919 member
    edited October 2015
    My favorites that aren't too common are Micah and Jonah. Seth is really nice too.

For a girl, I like Ruth and Eve. I also like virtue names, Grace, Faith, Hope, Joy.
  • I've always loved Dina (pronounced "DEE-nuh")
  • Boys:
    Jairus
    Caleb
    Ephraim
    Elisha

Girls:
    Zipporah
    Claudia
    Priscilla
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Boys: Jairus Caleb Ephraim Elisha Girls: Zipporah Claudia Priscilla
    I actually love the name Zipporah (nn Zippy), but DH has vetoed it.

• Boys:
    Judah (I have one so I'm biased)
    Elijah
    Levi (if we have another boy he will be Levi)
    Ezra
    Noam
    Nadav
    Ronen
    Zev
    Ari
    Lev
    Simon
    Ezekiel

Girls:
    Aviva
    Talia
    Maya
    Nava
    Zahava
    Adina
    Yael
    Dalia

• rpearlson said:
    Boys: Judah (I have one so I'm biased) Elijah Levi (if we have another boy he will be Levi) Ezra Noam Nadav Ronen Zev Ari Lev Simon Ezekiel Girls: Aviva Talia Maya Nava Zahava Adina Yael Dalia
    You totally get my style. My DS has one of the names you listed, and Judah and Dalia top my list, but again, DH vetoed.

• What types of names does your DH like/suggest? I'm very familiar with Hebrew/biblical names as we're Jewish and my husband tends to prefer Hebrew names. Would you mind sharing your DS's name? That might give me a better direction to help.
  • I love Yael, Tova and Dov.
  • rpearlson said:
    What types of names does your DH like/suggest? I'm very familiar with Hebrew/biblical names as we're Jewish and my husband tends to prefer Hebrew names. Would you mind sharing your DS's name? That might give me a better direction to help.
    In the interest of privacy (because it is rare compared to say, Judah), I prefer not to post it. However, I love names like Aviva, Zahava, Adina, etc. For me, the names need to have a good meaning as well as sound nice. Thanks for your suggestions. They are great!

• Susanna is my daughter's name and it is from Luke. :)
  • Hmm okay let me think.

Some more suggestions:
    Girls:
    Tamar
    Ilana/Elana
    Shira
    Noa
    Shoshanna

Boys:
    Abraham
    Ori
    Uri (or Uriel)
    Raphael (love the nn Rafi)

Good luck!
  • Girl: Selah, Karis, Martha, Eve, Rebekah
    Boy: Elias, Uriah, Levi, Abram
  • @sorarose - did you make any progress with this?
  • My daughter's middle name is Ruth.

A name I've always found beautiful and didn't see mentioned here is Keturah. Abraham's wife after Sarah died!

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!