Baby Names

Keep Prek in mind

Just a reminder. ... these amazing names we are chosing have to be memorized and spelled and written by our little ones.
Coming from Someone who gave her oldest a big whopping name.... when everyone else was writing these short easy names... my kid was using.half the alphabet. .. ha ha not really but it felt like it

Good luck

Re: Keep Prek in mind

• Imo this isn't something parents should worry about when picking a name. As PP mentioned, we there the child can write it by that age has a lot do with the involvement of parents teaching them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think there are bigger things to consider here...I'd rather give my child a long but classic name than a short but made up one.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • In 2nd grade, we learned cursive one letter per day. We weren't allowed to write our names at the top of our papers in cursive until we'd learned all the letters in our name.

I always felt so bad for Andy and Molly, who had to wait until we got to Y, that I swore my kid would have a name with letters from the first half of the alphabet, only.

...Except LO ended up with a Y in his name. Womp womp.
  • Then everyone in my family is screwed, because everyone I'm related to has loooong last names.  Like they almost don't fit on the back of a baseball jersey.  Haha.  
  • I thought this was going to be asking for opinions on the name "Prek".

Whew.

That's immediately what I thought too!!
  • In 2nd grade, we learned cursive one letter per day. We weren't allowed to write our names at the top of our papers in cursive until we'd learned all the letters in our name.

I always felt so bad for Andy and Molly, who had to wait until we got to Y, that I swore my kid would have a name with letters from the first half of the alphabet, only.

...Except LO ended up with a Y in his name. Womp womp.

We did this too! My name starts with a J and my maiden name had two capital letters in it...i was SO MAD at how long I had to wait to write my name in cursive!

Of course today I'm not even sure kids learn to write in cursive anymore? I feel like a friend with kids complained about that to me recently.

And LO's name also begins with J...last name with S which of I remember was a later one bc it's kind of intricate. Poor LO.
  • My mom (Elizabeth) and I have more than 5 letters in our names. She is a doctor, so I think she figured out how to spell some pretty tricky words in her lifetime. I don't really remember the 'trauma' of learning to spell my name. I do know that by first grade I could write it.

• I have 9 letters in my first name. I learned how to spell/write it fairly easy. It wasn't tramatic, just a pain in the butt to write all of the time. I eventually gave myself a nickname and went by that.

Also, I'm super disappointed in this thread. I thought someone was naming their kid Prek. Lol
  • edited October 2015

I thought this was going to be asking for opinions on the name "Prek".

Whew.

It took me until your comment to realize op many pre-k and that there wasn't going to be any discussion about the name Prek lol I blame newborn sleep deprivation for how long that took me to understand, but like others said, now I'm kind of disappointed we're not discussing the name Prek

Fwiw I'd spell it Préke.

Oh also my name is seven letters and I have no memory of ever having trouble spelling it. Except when I was hungover in college.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    Being worried that a child might have to apply themselves more and perform beyond expectations set for other children is part of the same package that makes so many parents think that misspelling their child's name is tasteful. 

Please give your child whatever name you feel is right. If they have to work a little harder, you're training their brain. Not hurting it. Life is not supposed to be mind-numbingly easy all the time..