2nd Trimester

eating deli meats

I'm just over 20 weeks pregnant and have been trying to eat well and stay away from all the foods on the "no-no list. Today i had a french dip sandwich aND didn't realize until after that it's roast beef, which is deli meat. Now I'm freaking out. I think the meat is heated up. Should I be OK?

Re: eating deli meats

• You'll be fine.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been waiting a turkey Tom from Jimmy Johns, but I wont. Most people say it's just fine, but I get worried like you. I THINK that since it's heated it should kill the possible bacteria. When I was 10 weeks pregnant I ordered a turkey club, and it didn't even cross my mind. I was more worried about the no tomatoes. Later that night it hit me out of nowhere. Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I did the same thing. I have been avoiding deli meat and then we had a meeting at work and I ate the provided sandwich without thinking about the fact that it was deli meat. I don't think one time will hurt though.
  • I wouldn't eat deli meat everyday but like others have said, in moderation/once in awhile.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No tomatoes??
  • Aren't French dips hot? If the meat is heated you have nothing to worry about. My doc doesn't seem to think I have much to worry about in terms of eating lunch meat cold either, and so I have been enjoying it a few times a week. Mmm, now I want a hoagie...
  • Meat is heated you are fine. There was just a listeria outbreak on cheese. So while it is rare, the outbreaks do happen.
  • its o.k don't worry 
  • Thank you everyone! I was most worried about Listeria but I guess you can get it by eating a number of different foods. I'm trying not to get too crazy about what I do and do not eat. I would like to enjoy my first pregnancy :)
  • If it's the Listeria you are worried about, then you better not eat spinach, cantaloupe, root veggies, cucumbers, tomatoes, peanuts, etc. All these have the risk of Listeria as does does deli meat. If its nitrates: everything in moderation.
    This! Last couple of listera recalls have been for cantaloupe, hummus, ice cream and soft cheese, which is one of the things they tell you not to eat. But the others are not called out as being a concern. You'll be just fine OP, and if you do happen to come down with severe diarrhea in the next month, mention to your doc that you ate some deli meat and they'll get you tested for Listera. It very rarely causes complications.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have not been watching this closely. I've been eating a lot of no nos but in moderation. I feel like these day most food has dangers so it's really hard to keep track of it all.

I'm old fashioned I do my best and pray over the rest!!
  • It's not that I didn't know a french dip was roast beef. I'm not stupid. I just didn't think about the whole no deli meats thing until after.
  • I understand but that's not what I meant and regardless it's a little rude to laugh at someone.
  • livsilva said:
    I'm just over 20 weeks pregnant and have been trying to eat well and stay away from all the foods on the "no-no list. Today i had a french dip sandwich aND didn't realize until after that it's roast beef, which is deli meat. Now I'm freaking out. I think the meat is heated up. Should I be OK?
    QFP btw

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Maybe I've been eating a different kind of French Dip Sammy? Roast beef is fully cooked, shaved bits of beef off the bone. I wouldn't necessarily put it in the "deli meat" category. The reason I say that is that it's not highly handled or processed usually. The ones I've had are almost like a pulled pork sandwhich where it's easy to see the origin of the roast beef.

If the meat is steaming (which most pot roasty sandwhiches are served quite warm as I recall) then you should be A-Ok.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• You have a greater chance of dying in a plane crash than getting listeria. Ask your doctor how many cases of listeria they've seen during their time in the medical field. I would be shocked if they have seen 1 or more.
  • You have a greater chance of dying in a plane crash than getting listeria. Ask your doctor how many cases of listeria they've seen during their time in the medical field. I would be shocked if they have seen 1 or more.
    Dude. QFT. I have eaten more lunch meat since I got pregnant than I did in the 2 years prior. For whatever reason, it's all I want to eat these days. People need to just take care to eat from reputable places and do it in moderation (which should be your motto while NOT pregnant as well.)

I think this actually depends on your location. With the fact that listeria doesn't just come from deli meats there are other risks. I'm in the south and a very popular and "reputable" ice cream company was temporary shut down because of listeria. Just in last few weeks there has been a recall on a certain brand of "pasteurized" cheese products. Listeria is around and can happen. You just have to pay attention.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Yup, @katiedelyon, my doctor told me that in 30+ years in practice he has never seen a case of listeria. He did not put deli meat on the forbidden food list. His only food related advice was to cook the food and eat pasteurized dairy.
  • I had jimmy johns last night and it was amazing. I didn't feel bad even for a second.
  • redfallonredfallon member
    edited October 2015
    @kynbar5 said:
    You have a greater chance of dying in a plane crash than getting listeria. Ask your doctor how many cases of listeria they've seen during their time in the medical field. I would be shocked if they have seen 1 or more.
    I think this actually depends on your location. With the fact that listeria doesn't just come from deli meats there are other risks. I'm in the south and a very popular and "reputable" ice cream company was temporary shut down because of listeria. Just in last few weeks there has been a recall on a certain brand of "pasteurized" cheese products. Listeria is around and can happen. You just have to pay attention.
    Mmm! I have some of that ice cream in my freezer right now. We're in the part that got it back first. Worth the wait.

@jonesl12 said:
    I had jimmy johns last night and it was amazing. I didn't feel bad even for a second.
    Yum! Turkey Tom is my favorite.

sarahufl Sub sandwiches are one of my big pregnancy cravings. Not pregnant, they usually aren't my first choice even though I like them. Pregnant, I want them every day.
    =P~

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• It was a # 11 with mustard added. I'm weird and put chips in the sandwich too. It was heavenly
  • @jonesl12 said:
    It was a # 11 with mustard added. I'm weird and put chips in the sandwich too. It was heavenly
    I tend to put chips on my sandwiches, too :)

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• kynbar5 said:

You have a greater chance of dying in a plane crash than getting listeria. Ask your doctor how many cases of listeria they've seen during their time in the medical field. I would be shocked if they have seen 1 or more.

I moved to Texas right after this happened so I never actually got to eat that brand of ice cream. I want to try it when it's back because I heard it's amazing, but it also makes me nervous
  • OMG I want a bootleggers club now.

All I'm gonna say is Baby loves lunch meat, and I have not been in the habit of denying Baby what it wants.

Now to send DH to Jimmy Johns for dinner.